Why does the SpaceX capsule have so much empty space?

guitarxe

So looking at this picture from arstechnica of the SpaceX Dragon V2 capsule

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DSC_2166.jpg

I'm surprised how much open space there is. I kind of figured that you'd want to fit in as much as possible into as little space as practically and comfortably possible, but look at all that space between the seats and especially behind the seats near the wall! How come?

There's so much space because there's so little stuff in there (and that's the prototype they're showing, it probably doesn't have everything they want in it). When they start using it as a cargo/crew vehicle it'll get pretty full pretty fast.

Yup, in soyuz, there's all kind of stuff packed and attached to the walls of the modules with straps . (As those straps are a good lightweight solution for securing goods in zero G, we might see some in other spacecrafts :))

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz_sa.html

Besides, those seats and the control screen will surely be folded away during coasting phases - that will give some living space to all the astronauts on board.

When the first soyuz's started launching you would be surprised how much space was inside them, probably had more room then the dragon, this however was in the pre-station days when your ship was your lab. When the converted them into ferrys they probably filled the space with supplies especially when the long duration missions started.

As others have stated, the "flight ready craft" is nothing more then a prototype, maybe even a mockup. It's all just a load of PR rubbish from Musk.

Yup, in soyuz, there's all kind of stuff packed and attached to the walls of the modules with straps . (As those straps are a good lightweight solution for securing goods in zero G, we might see some in other spacecrafts :))

for lack of velcro they used straps...

That remains to be seen.

D2 is designed with human transportation in mind, so we'll see it with humans someday.

If by "a long time" you mean 2016.

Exactly, it's highly likely you'll see humans taken to space by a privately funded company for the first time in history. Damn cool stuff right there.

D2 is designed with human transportation in mind, so we'll see it with humans someday.

I know. I was responding to the person I quoted who said it won't.

Regardless, just because it's designed for human transportation does not mean this particular one will fly with humans on board. It could be used for an unmanned test flight.

That model was a structural-and-systems prototype; the interior will look very, very different by the time manned rating has finished and we have better mission specifications and CONOPs.

For my own $0.02, there are many, many more (and better) things that can be done with the interior. SpaceX had a novel chance to redesign a capsule from the ground up, but they appeared to have more dreams and science fiction fantasies than practical human interface and mission experience. That having been said, it's still early--I have no doubt things are only going to improve.

That remains to be seen.If by "a long time" you mean 2016.

1. It may fly for tests but probably not for humans in it's current form.

2. For the Americans, a long time can mean a few years, for the Chinese means more then a decade and for Russians it mean we need more money.

Empty space....... you do know that people like to have personal space, right? :cool:

SpaceX said on the first Dragon flight that it could have been given a few simple modifications and would have carried crew. That would have been an acceptable replacement for NASA at the time, but they had more time for scheduling reasons. They have used this not just to make the Dragon V2 capable of a precision landing on solid ground, but also increase the number of creature comforts on board.

They have used this not just to make the Dragon V2 capable of a precision landing on solid ground, but also increase the number of creature comforts on board.

Precision landing on solid ground was planned already from the very beginning of the development of dragon V2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.