Would you ride your own rocket?

michaelphoenix22

Sure, individual parts with 0 failure rate are a boon.

Since .24 my rockets are simpler, thanks to boosters being dirt cheap, I won't have problems with asparagus stage misconfiguration.

Plus I just finished my station/ship nuclear thingie. It even has some sort of shielding, if you count fuel tanks and ample space inside.

On the first launch would be tricky, i never man a craft before i know it's as safe as i can possibly make it. If i can however fly it after all it's testing is done, then sure, why not. There are a few of my own rockets i would most certainly ride though, the ones with a perfect safety record on it! :P

I'll echo what the others have said. My most reliable design? Sure, I'd ride that for a quick trip to the ISS. My bargain rocket that runs purely on SRBs and prayer? Hell no.

One thing that I do want in the rocket when Im riding it is a computer. I play with Realism overhaul and I use a kOS script that is optimized for all standard rockets to minimize aerodynamic stress. While I'm certainly capable of flying those things into orbit manually, I'd feel a lot safer if a script is doing the steering while I'm screaming at the top of my lungs.

I would only ride the most time-tested designs if I had had proper training for any problems and if there was a means of rescue in some situations. I would not ride any new design especially if it was complex, nor would I undertake any unique mission.

If it's one that I'd put Jeb in, then I'd probably be happy flying to Mun or Minmus in it. Not so convinced about going interplanetary in my own creations thou, still having life support teething issues and I think I'd rather blow up than starve to death in space!

Sure. Since it's the *first* rocket it's just going to be chute, pod, little fuel tank, engine, for a quick up-and-down hop. Only hazard is getting the staging wrong and opening the chute on launch, and that's why I've got a liquid engine not an SRB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.