Editing the Persistent and "Missing" Kerbals

So Callan Kerman was exploring the Mun, and he took a bit of a tumble. So there he was, sliding down a hill, I'm waiting for him to stop, and when he finally does... The game breaks. It wasn't really, a crash, but the screen went black, all flight related guis went blank, but I could still use the menu. However, I couldn't fix it, so I restarted ksp.

So now my lander's empty, Callan is gone, I have no way to get the science back, and I'm pretty annoyed since this mission was needlessly complex and I did a lot of things I don't want to redo.

In the ROSTER section of the persistent, Callan is labeled as "Missing". I figured to fix it, I'd set him to "Assigned" and change my lander's command pod's code to have "crew = Callan Kerman" I gleaned the idea from looking at other vessels in the file.

However, when I go to the tracking center, I can't fly or terminate the lander, I and once I've clocked on it, I can't do anything to the other vessels either.

It seems the game is unhappy with that added line. Does anybody know something else I have to do?

EDIT: changed the Part's command module's line to say "controlSrcStatusText = Operational". Didn't fix it.

Edited by meatballcannon

Tod is time of death. I believe that one's involved in determining how long it is until the Kerbal respawns on their own.

Idx tells the game which seat position a Kerbal is in, or if they are on Eva, dead or in the roster.

Which crew member is in the pod is determine by a line like this:

Crew = X,

Where X equals the position they have in the crew list. Note that this list starts at 0.

Crew = 0 would give Jebediah.

Edited by Tw1

In case anyone is wondering, idx is short for "index", and is a common variable name in most programming languages.

Yeah, I don't have to use it much though, (I do Java and FORTH, of all things). Any idea what it means in this context? I'm kind of curious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.