Am I the first one to circumnavigate Kerbin by land?

Wooks

It is an impressive feat to circumnavigate, but boats are faster than rovers, and achievements should go by the slowest mode of movement used. If I circumnavigated by a combination of plane and rover, I should count it as an air circumnavigation because a plane was used, and travelling by air lowered the difficulty.

This was a circumnavigation, literally, "navigation of a circumference", the boat was used where following a land path over the imaginary straight line was impossible, not to make the journey easier or faster. There is no practical way to circumnavigate Kerbin on a rover following a simple circumference.

95% of the journey around Kerbin was made by land, and even the final jump over the ocean (the longest) was made westward over the equatorial line, it was made to reposition the rover at the same parallel latitude not advancing a single kilometer in the North/South longitude.

Interesting factoid: The hoverboat max speed was 28 m/s, a little bit higher than the rover's 22 m/s, so very little time was gained factoring the difference.

The whole journey is on video, just click "Rover Adventures" on my sig :)

Edited by Wooks

It is an impressive feat to circumnavigate, but boats are faster than rovers, and achievements should go by the slowest mode of movement used. If I circumnavigated by a combination of plane and rover, I should count it as an air circumnavigation because a plane was used, and travelling by air lowered the difficulty.

You realize that it is impossible to do a true circumnavigation of Kerbin without boats. Every single inch of ground that Wooks could have used for land travel, he did. I understand where you're coming from, but this is as close to a land circumnavigation as you're going to get.

Wooks made a lot of decisions that made the circumnavigation more difficult (Using exclusively rovers when he could have added ion engines, etc. and boosted speed tremendously. All stock, with no Mechjeb. Permadeath series. Etc, etc, etc.) so it's not as if he was trying to cheat the system and take a cheap shortcut.

Precisely! Please show Wooks how it's really done and circumnavigate Kerbin by walking and swimming. That way you won't have to resort to cheaty planes, boats or rovers. Daily video's please, PM me when you're done :kiss:

OT: Well done Wookiee! Loved watching your videos!

Edited by Yakuzi

Well done. As a fan of you roving around I have to ask, which planet will be circumnavigated next?

Big congratulations by the way. One of the biggest achievements of Kerbalkind done by Wooks.

I've been trying to gather information of what other land circumnavigation challenges had been done before, and the only ones that showed up so far are Duna and Mun:

I'm looking for the Mun circumnavigation, but until then you could check out Brotoro's circumnavigation of Duna :)

Although Mun circumnavigation hasn't been posted here yet, and I can't find it, the information comes from a mod, so I'm trusting his word.

Edited by Wooks

Yeah. At least for the ruggedised wheels, broken ones drag really badly and make it nigh-impossible to drive on. And I got lots of wheel breaks driving around near the space centre. Funnily enough the same rover drove over 60 km on Eve without a hitch.

I've been trying to gather information of what other land circumnavigation challenges had been done before, and the only ones that showed up so far are Duna and Mun:

Although Mun circumnavigation hasn't been posted here yet, and I can't find it, the information comes from a mod, so I'm trusting his word.

You could add an extra twist to a Mun circumnavigation by starting exactly at one of the poles and passing through the other one on the way. The polar terrain on the Mun is extremely rough, unless they've changed it recently

You're like our version of kurtjmac with his Far Lands or Bust quest. Even though Kurt does KSP videos too xP My point stands though.

The menu screen rocket is actually a reference to his series. They added it because he was one of the first youtubers to promote the game (even before scott manley)

Would you look at that! Wednesday's coming up. If only I had a video to feature...

BUT OF COURSE THERE IS A VIDEO, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTI... oooh, I see what you did there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.