Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Has anyone found out how to build without the LV-Ns overheating? All my warships are broken. :(

I'm not sure how, but all of my warships I've tested so far (I generally keep engines as far apart as reasonably possible to avoid cluster-heating issues) have had no heating issues, even at 100% throttle.

Alas, all of my warships have been rendered useless by a minor change completely overlooked by most people: The impact tolerance of structural intakes was reduced from 80 m/s to only 7...And the majority of my ships' chasses were composed of them. Time for redesigns...

Alas, all of my warships have been rendered useless by a minor change completely overlooked by most people: The impact tolerance of structural intakes was reduced from 80 m/s to only 7...And the majority of my ships' chasses were composed of them. Time for redesigns...

I think we all need redesigns, at least my weapons still work as intended. Anyone who used those 999m/s crash tolerance decouplers as kinetic warheads is better off sticking to conventional Ibeam now.

And yeah, those structural intakes are now garbage, low intake area, low impact tolerance, and they are too small to utilize for much.

Im actually rebuilding my stuff from scratch (the only ship im still keeping around though is the AKS CRV-IIC corvette class capital ship. That thing has insane armor, and good range (when u edit the .craft file to swap all oxy for LF). Actually, the whole move to nukes being LF onl is neat, but sadly no FLT-400 sized tanks that have 400 LF in them, its either those worthless 150LF tanks, or FLT-400s with half the fuel capacity. Using MK-2 parts is the only option right now for nukes, but sadly those things are VERY weak, and make ships larger, which aint helping for part counts.

I think im going to just stick with a dedicated engine cluster from now on, with fuel tanks and all stuck in teh back. if its shot ok my ship is grounded, but at least it wont make me sacrifice all my armor.

Actually something ive been trying to figure out for a while, is there ANY WAY WHATSOEVER to armor engines?

Aside from redundancy and having pods so that there are still some engines left after a hit, i cant seem to be able to block enemy fire from wiping out engines (if they are targeted specifically). The fact that nukes are so large exponentially increases the issues as well since they are so easy to hit, large hitbox, large profile, heavy, and they tend to be very weak armor wise too.

Im gonna try to make a ion ship now, ions are going to be used in large numbers anyways, and now with the new fuel tanks, its not going to be part count insanity (and i can make more compact ships with better weapons hardpoints now that i dont need the entire ship to be a fuel depo).

Actually, i think i just though of the ultimate armor layout, since ions work liek RCS, and dont care about fuel lines, or stuff behind them blocking thrust, i can make the ship have dedicated fuel+ion clusters all over the place. That might make the ultimate in redundancy, every single part of teh ship has dedicated engines, armor, weapons, and control units. The ultimate ship, is one that can maintain combat/mobility even after being shot into pieces. Ill post some screenies if i can pull off something thats below 300 parts and manages a useable TWR thats not much worse then some of the heavy nuke monsters like the dreks.

What id do right now for ion engine thats 1.25 or 2.5m, thatd solve all part count issues, cause having to bring like 1 engine/ton is rediculous, my 60t corvette has 48 engines and even then the burns are kinda painful, ideally itd have 60 of em!

Edited by panzer1b

Actually something ive been trying to figure out for a while, is there ANY WAY WHATSOEVER to armor engines?

Aside from redundancy and having pods so that there are still some engines left after a hit, i cant seem to be able to block enemy fire from wiping out engines (if they are targeted specifically). The fact that nukes are so large exponentially increases the issues as well since they are so easy to hit, large hitbox, large profile, heavy, and they tend to be very weak armor wise too.

Im gonna try to make a ion ship now, ions are going to be used in large numbers anyways, and now with the new fuel tanks, its not going to be part count insanity (and i can make more compact ships with better weapons hardpoints now that i dont need the entire ship to be a fuel depo).

Actually, i think i just though of the ultimate armor layout, since ions work liek RCS, and dont care about fuel lines, or stuff behind them blocking thrust, i can make the ship have dedicated fuel+ion clusters all over the place. That might make the ultimate in redundancy, every single part of teh ship has dedicated engines, armor, weapons, and control units. The ultimate ship, is one that can maintain combat/mobility even after being shot into pieces. Ill post some screenies if i can pull off something thats below 300 parts and manages a useable TWR thats not much worse then some of the heavy nuke monsters like the dreks.

What id do right now for ion engine thats 1.25 or 2.5m, thatd solve all part count issues, cause having to bring like 1 engine/ton is rediculous, my 60t corvette has 48 engines and even then the burns are kinda painful, ideally itd have 60 of em!

It isn't that hard to recess engines back into the body of the craft. Granted you still have to expose a little bit, but that's always gonna happen.

Alternatively, if you have a kraken drive you don't have this problem

Something that I often do is surround the engines with cargo bays that when closed block off the engine and provide it protection, but when opened still allow it to move. This usually requires four to six per engine cluster, however, and they look rather odd, but they are quite effective.

Fighter jets/spaceplanes are actually pretty neat with 1.0:

GVy7FXe.png

reaches just over Mach 1 (at low altitudes) in under 2 minutes after takeoff (at full throttle), and maneuvers like a champ. It also takes off really quick, using thrust vectoring to blast off like a rocket once it's even just started to pitch up.

Now, I just need to arm it...

The smaller/less impact-tolerant your missile, the faster it needs to fly. (It also helps to spam-fire smaller, weaker rounds to generate a sort of "kinetic overload" effect on armored targets.)

I saw this before. Have a bunch of stack separators that decouple in sets, then fall into some engine exhaust, mass relay style.

I saw this before. Have a bunch of stack separators that decouple in sets, then fall into some engine exhaust, mass relay style.

Maybe, but stack separators really have no penetration. I prefer 1x1 steel plates, or similarly-sized high-impact parts.

Maybe, but stack separators really have no penetration. I prefer 1x1 steel plates, or similarly-sized high-impact parts.

because atmospheric projectiles can reach unprecedented velocities, are decoupler missiles feasible now? My tank's missiles will need some serious redesign to make them fly parallel to the ground again.

because atmospheric projectiles can reach unprecedented velocities, are decoupler missiles feasible now? My tank's missiles will need some serious redesign to make them fly parallel to the ground again.

They'll go quite fast... but will likely just vaporize on contact with any serious high-impact armor. However, decoupler rounds ought to be able to take out unarmored targets and/or aircraft.

I'M BACK!

So, I've been working on a new space battlecruiser since 1.0 (and now 1.0.2) came out. What you see here is just the head of the snake. I still need to add engines, a command center and something down the bottom. The cargo bays will either house modules or concealed weapons. That being said, the weapons shown are placeholders until I can develop some better ones.

Current stats:

Parts - 350

Mass - 193.1t

Height - 8.6m

Width - 9.9m

Length - 27.2m

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by AlexanderTeaH

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.