Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Squad never said that Macey was going to be a version 1 feature. I don't blame them though. If he was a confirmed feature KSP would be over-hyped.

Dang squad.

Aerodynamics and mining might be cool... But Macey is cooler.

Squad never said that Macey was going to be a version 1 feature. I don't blame them though. If he was a confirmed feature KSP would be over-hyped.

Dang squad.

Aerodynamics and mining might be cool... But Macey is cooler.

correction... Macey is WAY cooler

I've got a new warship coming... trying to experiment with spaced double hulls, since AP rounds would (hopefully) get lodged in the outer hull-space, not in the real internals of the ship.

Ive done some experimenting and ive concluded that spaced armor is of negligible benefit when we are talking about the super high powered weaponry the mainstream combat players utilize. It might lower the chances of critical damage, but if you are hit by a properly designed weapon as high enough velocity, not only will it most likely phase through and bypass your armor, but even if it doesnt its more likely then not going to transfer its kinetic energy and break the ship in half.

That said, there are still ways you can combat this, for example one thing ive started doing for most of my ships is making as much of the craft redundant. This means spread out your weapons hardpoints, engines, fuel tanks, probe cores, ect, so that the probability that even the most powerful missile can instantly destroy you is very low if not close to 0. The other option is making multiple layers of spaced armor that is thick enough to almost guaranteed shots wont phase through into your core. This is easier said then done, not to mention it requires MASSIVE amounts of parts, and is still not guaranteed to keep you from being 1 shot cut in half.

About the double hull, ive been experimenting with the concept and ive come to a few conclusions. For one, against someone who knows where to aim, its still possible to get cut in half, and have the entire ship split into 2 or more pieces. There is simply no way nomatter what you do to guarantee you wont get 1 shotted. That said, strapping 2 ships together will give you the advantage (assuming each half is self sustaining) that you can always have at least half of the ship left alive after a catastrophic hit.

that said, ive found the ultimate tactic being disposeable ships that have above average firepower but weight very little, have useable but not insane dV, and most of all low part counts without making them useless in teh armor department. This is somewhat along the lines of a futuristic weapons program concept that was around a few years back, replacing the main battle tank with a high speed vehicle that had weakish armor, very powerful guns, and was much cheaper and lighter. the idea was that the most powerful weaponry could not be countered period regardless of armor schemes or tactics, so the idea was to make disposable vehicles that had the firepower to take down almost every enemy, were fast and thus hard to hit or outmaneuver, and worst case if they were lost the price tag wasnt a huge deal compared to conventional MBTs. ive pretty much started going this way with my own military gear, low part count, cheap, disposable, but still armed with enough weaponry to wipe out whatever the enemy brought into battle. that said, i do still armor my craft enough that they wont be wiped out by stuff liek Ibeams and smaller ordinance, as a capital ship shouldnt exactly be easy to kill with junk of that caliber.

the only real exception to the part count and simplicity rule are my tanks. for whatever reason i refuse to not have a turret on them, and a turret adds like 50 pats to an otherwise turret-less vehicle. Still, working on a tank destroyerish vehicle that should make more practical sense, lightweight, great firepower, and just armored enough to be somewhat tough to instakill.

I've got a new warship coming... trying to experiment with spaced double hulls, since AP rounds would (hopefully) get lodged in the outer hull-space, not in the real internals of the ship.

I, too, plan to have a new warship up by the end of tonight, or perhaps tomorrow. 1.0 was especially hard on me--I lost basically everything I have ever built in KSP, including all but one ship in my fleet. Hopefully this new one will be combat-effective...

Anyone else got working ships yet?

just a small note...

i would be up for a battle. anytime.

if that old one is over or ... ? IDK, but if it is, or when it does.

i would like to be involved in the next.

Hmm?

Hmm?

Ive been messing with some cinematic ships, they arent badly armored, but they arent quite well armored either. under 150 parts without weapons btw for the hull.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

While i had no intention of doing so, the end result kinda resembles one of those star wars ships from EP-3 in that opening scene that ended up broadsiding another ship and getting shot to pieces.

Now to modify BDArmnory's vulcan cannon into a cinematic weapon, super low velocity, inaccurate, and extremely large bright projectiles.

Sadly, I am afraid I shall have to defer the release of my newest warship to tomorrow at least; my concept failed to turn out well, and so I am now experimenting with other hull and armor types. I have made great strides in terms of defenses, however; I can now reliably deflect incident 8 to 10-ton missiles travelling at ~400 m/s while barely sustaining hull damage. Now to combat phasing...

This is exactly what I was working on ten minutes ago. (and failed at because my missiles kept breaking them)

Haha, that's funny.... yeah, i know they're not strong but i figure it's a good way to keep people from getting a better aim at the engines, they are well recessed but not the best armored.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.