Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

debatable.

Only because it's misquoted. :/

I was the first person to use a cannon on a military ship. The Custodian was the first ship with a cannon on the Macey Dean submissions thread. That doesn't necessarily make it the first ever, but it's close.

Edited by daemonCaptrix

Only because it's misquoted. :/

I was the first person to use a cannon on a military ship. The Custodian was the first ship with a cannon on the Macey Dean submissions thread. That doesn't necessarily make it the first ever, but it's close.

I'll admit it may be the first ship with one, but I had a cannon just shy of a month before you posted the custodian(and a while before your first post on the thread)

Also, Frozen, that's because it is a co-21. Remember you asked me to mount a gun onto it once, I keep any craft that I like and that still work.

First time I showed the Johnson

Placement onto a ship either a few hours before or a few after the custodian(unsure because I used to have to keep my imgur count on imgur below a certain threshold

I'll also see if I can dig up a craft file.

Edited by Spartwo

Also, Frozen, that's because it is a co-21. Remember you asked me to mount a gun onto it once, I keep any craft that I like and that still work.

I remember that actually. :) Just looked at the thread with it on.

How well did that gun end up working?

Wilhelm still works much the same as in this video apart from double munitions mass and 25% more thrust.

I think I sent 2 versions, the one with 2 aero spikes didn't work for **** and was the Johnson(.21 broke it I believe)

Battle Update:

The MU Dr. StrangeKerb III was inspected for damage, and all systems (save for the Super I-beam missile knocked off with that up-armoring section that the Interceptor blew off) were completely operational.

Following this check, MU HIGHCOM activated the DX-1 Raven drone Guardian 1 and set it on the CJS Vulcan, in retaliation for the fighter attack.

TIZfL4t.png

After an interception burn and some fine maneuvering, the ion-powered drone arrived at the Vulcan.

GsOUjzr.png

The drone's first shot hit square in the center of the ship's drive section (the drone's engine system is re-engaging to help manage recoil)...

DvM7Z62.png

This attack did some good damage, blowing a massive rent in the drive section and knocking off some engines.

zQseHdn.png

Guardian 1 then fired a second shot from its penetrator cannon...

Eqj1pe2.png

knNbfTX.png

fErAth2.png

...which destroyed most of the ship's remaining engines (save for one lone LV-N), and seemingly obliterated the core piece (as the ship's core was targeted, and it disappeared after the blast. Also, what's left of the ship is called CJS Vulcan Probe in both flight-view and map-view).

More pictures of the post-attack Vulcan:

mgATj68.png

Here you can clearly see the extensive damage to the ship's aft section, and the presence of only one working engine.

rQkfPcL.png

Another view, from the drone's POV as it burns for a slightly higher orbit.

uXAOboW.png

Guardian 1 now lurks in high orbit, still functional and armed with two remaining rounds for its weapon.

Persist:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv4hl34t1y0e4vw/DunaSkirmish_Death%20of%20CJS%20Vulcan.sfs?dl=0

So I sent my second Hastati fighter in and attacked the thunder sky. Didn't do any damage that I could see though. :/ Sent it off to a higher orbit for safety.

Burn to intercept

Persist: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjnhg3eb60jctr0/persistent.sfs?dl=0

Nwevvh6.png

Fire!

5HilPag.png

Didn't scratch the paintwork...

dEv1Pmr.png

THIS is why I won't change the turn rules.

This>everything else at the moment because it has a high TWR.

Well those SRB rockets do pretty much nothing to an armoured ship so they'd still be balanced. And everything can one shot that back.

I'm just frustrated as my PC can't run the high part counts. All my ships are taken out in one shot while everyone else's can take anything I can throw at them. :/

Also why I'm looking forward to real time MP as I'll finally stand a chance.

Well those SRB rockets do pretty much nothing to an armoured ship so they'd still be balanced. And everything can one shot that back.

You just got torn to shreds by an I-beam...

How can you shoot back if all my ships go first and all go before your first turn in a battle of equal ship numbers.

Edited by Spartwo

You just got torn to shreds by an I-beam...

How can you shoot back if all my ships go first and all go before your first turn in a battle of equal ship numbers.

That's why I said armoured ship. All mine have pretty high TWR compared to other ships as I can't handle the armour.

Maybe it could be done on a per battle basis on player preference. Would make more sense.

torn to shreds by an I-beam...

Well... they're not exactly normal I-beams... they use a propulsion system similar to tank guns on stock tanks.

Two sets of rockets, one slightly turned inward so that it overheats a cubic strut mounted to the rear of the missile. That cubic strut explodes, and the blast force provides an extremely brief boost in acceleration, but just strongly enough to make a missile that goes several hundred m/s almost instantly.

The main downside, however, is the nearly doubled part count of such I-beams, and the slightly increased mass.

- - - Updated - - -

Battle Update!

Upon further inspection, the Thunder Sky was A-OK, with only the backup ion drive (which has absolutely horrible TWR, in any case) damaged.

The DX-1 Raven Guardian 2 moved to take out the bogey that had attempted to attack the Thunder Sky...

Upon reaching the target, G2 fired off one missile, which missed, and then a second, which hit.

CmYE2QS.png

YVDGolB.png

B31DSVG.png

The ship began to drift away with one engine still functional, so the drone quickly burned to catch up...

EfzRSDn.png

...and dumped its remaining two shots into the crippled fighter.

E6KY473.png

nNr0Wo1.png

The Hastati labeled "Intercepter 2" is now officially dead in space, without any serious propulsion or weapons. Guardian 2 is staying close by until the clean-up crews can recover the pilot from the wrecked fighter.

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqd9wi0wfjtz442/Interceptor_Down.sfs?dl=0

Well, I guess it's time to see how well the CJS Venture can deal damage. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also-I really need to re-make my drop pod carrier. :P

THIS is why I won't change the turn rules.

This>everything else at the moment because it has a high TWR.

Is it actually better? Are you truly willing to sacrifice 34 tons of capacity and a full craft for a single-use, unarmored ship? In an actual battle, that would move first, do minimal to moderate damage, and then be completely useless for the remaining duration of combat. That is extraordinarily inefficient, and the use of such tactics would quickly result in an opponent with better ships completely obliterating your fleet.

In any event, the use of these ships would have the same merit in real-time multiplayer, so for all your complaints about "balance being impossible until we get multiplayer," you are awfully resistant to any attempts to make the two more similar.

Is it actually better? Are you truly willing to sacrifice 34 tons of capacity and a full craft for a single-use, unarmored ship? In an actual battle, that would move first, do minimal to moderate damage, and then be completely useless for the remaining duration of combat. That is extraordinarily inefficient, and the use of such tactics would quickly result in an opponent with better ships completely obliterating your fleet.

In any event, the use of these ships would have the same merit in real-time multiplayer, so for all your complaints about "balance being impossible until we get multiplayer," you are awfully resistant to any attempts to make the two more similar.

Extreme luck aside such a ship would be borderline WORTHLESS against my SK-CRV-III class of warships (and im guessing any other semi well made vessel that isnt just a engine+fuel tank+weapons). My ships are not by any means what id call well armored, but they are resilient enough that itd take over 5 of those RT-10s+structural plate to stand a remote chance of doing severe damage let alone actually disabling one. Then ofc you could probably ram my SK-CRV-IIIs with a mailsail+fuel+reaction wheel ship and it also would more or less get away with minor if any real damage. Pretty much the only way you are killing off my warships is either extreme luckshots (heck ive managed to 1 shot split a drek 12P with a short ibeam from a fighter ONCE, but it only happened once and i got no clue how the heck that happened) or massed weapons spam at weapons, engines, ect, since the probe cores and other stuff is more or less very well protected.

Also, im all for keeping the whole lightest vessel 1st. Yes it can be exploited like ANY rule to gain an advantage, but in general almost any rule will favor one vessel type over another. Right now making glass cannons is a risky proposition, since not only are they not exactly guaranteed to go 1st, but they are also pretty much instatly killed by the worse weapons around (im guessing all it takes to destroy that mainsail ship would be a single short ibeam with 2 sepatrons on it).

Anyways, i cant wait for naval battle club to shift over to DMP or some other real time mode where maneuverability/TWR can allow some evasive action. Expect the number of "accidental ramming attacks" to increase once you get 2 ships that are both trying to maneuver into firing positions and engage hostile from close range.

Also, anyone up for a battle?

>snip<

It would be great to have teams manning ships' guided weapons or carrier fighters.

Is it actually better? Are you truly willing to sacrifice 34 tons of capacity and a full craft for a single-use, unarmored ship? In an actual battle, that would move first, do minimal to moderate damage, and then be completely useless for the remaining duration of combat.

...Have your missiles one hitted every Drek from mk1 to now? Albeit they had a point.

dVGIax7.png

Oh look, spinal armour and an even higher TWR.

Oh look, spinal armour and an even higher TWR.

Well, aside from the Mammoth engine protruding from the craft's rear, you have created a (relatively) viable interceptor-type ship that trades modest amounts of firepower, range, and durability for high maneuverability. Seems fine to me...

Anyways, i cant wait for naval battle club to shift over to DMP or some other real time mode where maneuverability/TWR can allow some evasive action. Expect the number of "accidental ramming attacks" to increase once you get 2 ships that are both trying to maneuver into firing positions and engage hostile from close range.

Yes, everyone agrees that would be far better. :P

However, I fear that actually intercepting enemy vessels is going to be near-impossible unless there is a significant difference in TWR between them; orbital rendezvous is hard enough as it is without the other ship actively attempting to evade you...

Additionally, close-quarters combat (i.e, within render distance) would be weird; fighting with Newtonian mechanics, not to mention orbital, is extremely odd. For example, in fighter dogfights, one would have to become accustomed to the ideas of slowing down to speed up, a lack of true orientation, etc.

Also, it REALLY annoys me that one has only three degrees of freedom with the in-flight camera in KSP; the enemy's gate cannot be down until we can actually rotate the camera to accommodate any orientation...

Edited by Three1415

Ok taken what's likely to be my last turn. Used every shot I had on the Thunder Sky and all it did was knock off the other Ion drive. Even the plate tipped SRBs did nothing. Out of ammo with all my ships now. :/

Anyone up for giving me tips on how to make weapons?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjnhg3eb60jctr0/persistent.sfs?dl=0

Burn to intercept

7XifR80.png

Approach. My PC is crying here.

FEqnQCY.png

Damage done: Not much

bEamopD.png

The Ventures entire rear section glows red hot after burning into a retrograde low Duna orbit.

gUXh4gl.png

Well, aside from the Mammoth engine protruding from the craft's rear, you have created a (relatively) viable interceptor-type ship that trades modest amounts of firepower, range, and durability for high maneuverability. Seems fine to me...
Somehow you've managed to make a stupidly basic ship like that pretty good looking. :)

I think this has backfired...

The Centurion is pretty well equipped for a refit.

Anyway, I'm going to go try build a proper destroyer for until they fix the mk1 tanks to be able to fight Daemon.

VICTORY!

After a check of the Thunder Sky, it appears the Venture's missile barrage had managed to brute-force open a hole in the ship's drive section, destroying several LF tanks and making the ship's CoM extremely unbalanced. As a result, the only remaining warship left was the Dr. StrangeKerb III, piloted by none other than Valentina Kerman herself.

After a very long, arduous series of burns, the ship finally arrived in orbit in front of the CJS Venture...

PEVUoQ6.png

uZySlPW.png

Arming the ship's primary weapon control system, Val shot off the StrangeKerb's MU ASM EVO, which guided itself in to the target:

DAmkkCz.png

PSNMwO8.png

5MVSQOi.png

C0j8K4P.png

As the smoke and debris cloud cleared, the Venture emerged with significant damage to her hull and drive systems; this was not enough for Val.

The StrangeKerb's "Flea" SRB-based secondary missile slammed into the CJS vessel, causing another massive blast.

U9nEMcM.png

y6E4qCq.png

However, the SX13S' fire control system malfunctioned due to damage from the earlier fighter attack, and the remaining I-beam missile fired up, tearing free of it's launch clamp and hitting the Venture's wrecked hulk...

4lOfax3.png

jyzdqV7.png

Finally, the battle was over. The CJS Venture floated, dead in space, with the now weaponless Dr. StrangeKerb III slowly passing through the debris field, waiting for the S&R crews to arrive....

Cyw2xN9.png

Persist:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucvy5wfygiju2ic/Desolation.sfs?dl=0

Good Game

P.S.: I definitely recommend arming your fighters with some advanced I-beams, like the Super I-beams I use. (I can PM you a link to my sub-assembly if you want. :))

I also think that the CO-series ships could be very effective with a slight enhancement in armor. Not too much, but just enough to prevent things like I-beams and weaker rounds from rending the ship in two.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are we still keeping tally of wins/losses? We ought to, at least for regulars. :P

Good Game

P.S.: I definitely recommend arming your fighters with some advanced I-beams, like the Super I-beams I use. (I can PM you a link to my sub-assembly if you want. :))

I also think that the CO-series ships could be very effective with a slight enhancement in armor. Not too much, but just enough to prevent things like I-beams and weaker rounds from rending the ship in two.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are we still keeping tally of wins/losses? We ought to, at least for regulars. :P

Good game. :) I was hoping that you wouldn't have the dV to make it to retrograde. Did you go to high orbit and reverse there or just brute force it in low orbit?

I'll see about putting more armour around the drive section. Don't want to damage the dV any more though as I've been using it as a small mothership.

I've not been keeping track really. I think I may have lost to you before. And drew with Damon at some point as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.