Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Ok sent my first interceptor to the A#1 and flew to its rear. Fired four I beams at 130 metres and destroyed an engine. Sadly the middle one so the ship is still balanced and can perform fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjnhg3eb60jctr0/persistent.sfs?dl=0

vGBJkRz.png

QL4humt.png

Got it through the gap. The second pair just scraped off the hull.

iLsF7oW.png

Ok sent my first interceptor to the A#1 and flew to its rear. Fired four I beams at 130 metres and destroyed an engine. Sadly the middle one so the ship is still balanced and can perform fine.

http://i.imgur.com/vGBJkRz.png

http://i.imgur.com/QL4humt.png

Got it through the gap. The second pair just scraped off the hull.

http://i.imgur.com/iLsF7oW.png

You also shot off one of the missiles, and took down 2 probe cores (how on earth those things got that far inside i dont know). Aside from that is appears to be fully intact and combat capable.

Im sending B#1 to attack your 2nd fighter now.

Edited by panzer1b

You also shot off one of the missiles, and took down 2 probe cores (how on earth those things got that far inside i dont know). Aside from that is appears to be fully intact and combat capable.

Im sending B#1 to attack your 2nd fighter now.

I think that they phased. After 130m they were going pretty fast.

Doing some tests atm with the save. From pretty much every angle but behind they don't do damage. The double layer also stops phasing.

However at the back there is only single armour so they can get through.

I think that they phased. After 130m they were going pretty fast.

Doing some tests atm with the save. From pretty much every angle but behind they don't do damage. The double layer also stops phasing.

However at the back there is only single armour so they can get through.

That vessel was SPECIFICALLY designed to be extremely resilient is not immune to short ibeams. I intended it to be so-so resistant to larger weapons, but specifically resistant to conventional fighter based weapons. I kinda envisioned a corvette class ship to be intended as a support unit, and its armor was made as such, good enough vs weak crap, but quite susceptible to capital ship weapons.

Anyways, update on the battle:

AKS just suffered the loss of B#1!, and the enemy lost one interceptor as well.

After successfully destroying the second interceptor with only a single shot to its center from ~150m, the fighter was tasked with recovering fuel and weapons from the wreckage and successfully grabbed onto the fuel tank section that did not appear to take much damage. After transfering fuel and deciding it was not worth hauling so much fuel back to the ships that have full tanks anyways, the ship was ordered to decouple one of the weapons from teh enemy vessel and only bring that back to the SK-CRV-IIIg2. But outraged at what AKS had done, the kraken decided to have a feast and exploded the HK-103 as soon as the fuel tank was released.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Looks like both sides are down 1 vessel and it is turning into a stalemate, who will win is up for grabs at this point although AKS still has a fully armed fighter and 2 capital ships, and the enemy only has 2 fully armed warships.

http://www./download/8nn2in1r7d473a5/AKSvsFrozenBattleContinues.sfs

Btw, no quicksaving whatsoever here, just raw what happened (yes it sucks the kraken ate my ship, but hey, all is fair in hate and war :D).

Edited by panzer1b

Ok had my turn. The CJS Blade of Eternity rendezvoused with the A#1 and fired its SRBs. One missed, two did nothing, the fourth split the ship into little pieces. The core is actually still fine... attached to an of RTG, flying off into space.

Manoeuvre

NR59voF.png

And a solid hit. Ship split in half and no longer functional. Staying away from the wreckage as I'm paranoid of Krakens now.

3rRHbAm.png

Here is the core

uFdcgct.png

Investigating what's left

rCHYjd2.png

Nah, even the mk2s could destroy the dreks of the time.

Granted, the "dreks of the time" were fighters, but whatever. :P

And a solid hit. Ship split in half and no longer functional.

Interesting how ships usually seem to split in half along an approximate midpoint; this is a common pattern among all vessels, regardless of munitions' impact points...I suppose it is likely due to the loss of the vessel's root part, which is presumably centered. I do wish connections between parts functioned more like they do in other games, such as Robocraft, where cubes can be attached on multiple faces to reduce the loss of components.

Also, I just realized I have never actually participated in a full battle--either my opponent vanishes, the battle never commences, or updates cripple my fleet. And the latter has been occurring since November last year! How depressing...

Ok had my turn. The CJS Blade of Eternity rendezvoused with the A#1 and fired its SRBs. One missed, two did nothing, the fourth split the ship into little pieces. The core is actually still fine... attached to an of RTG, flying off into space.

Manoeuvre

http://i.imgur.com/NR59voF.png

And a solid hit. Ship split in half and no longer functional. Staying away from the wreckage as I'm paranoid of Krakens now.

http://i.imgur.com/3rRHbAm.png

Here is the core

http://i.imgur.com/uFdcgct.png

Investigating what's left

http://i.imgur.com/rCHYjd2.png

based on my checking of teh damage, the rear appears to be fully functional and capable of moving and still has a single tripedo left. There is a backup probe core in the ship which (if im interpreting the rules correctly) let me still utilize the vessel. It was designed with the idea that if split apart i could continue provided i still had some fuel/engines left to use.

Anyways, time to use that 2nd fighter (and HOPEFULLY it doesnt get eaten by kraken, guess i better stay away from wreckage).

Granted, the "dreks of the time" were fighters, but whatever. :P

Interesting how ships usually seem to split in half along an approximate midpoint; this is a common pattern among all vessels, regardless of munitions' impact points...I suppose it is likely due to the loss of the vessel's root part, which is presumably centered. I do wish connections between parts functioned more like they do in other games, such as Robocraft, where cubes can be attached on multiple faces to reduce the loss of components.

Also, I just realized I have never actually participated in a full battle--either my opponent vanishes, the battle never commences, or updates cripple my fleet. And the latter has been occurring since November last year! How depressing...

if you wish (once i make a few minor updates to my ships), i will be glad to fight you (and i dont back down until someone is dead). I would be happy to fight you, just setup somewhere 1st.

if you wish (once i make a few minor updates to my ships), i will be glad to fight you (and i dont back down until someone is dead). I would be happy to fight you, just setup somewhere 1st.

I appreciate the offer, but the vast amount of time I poured into the construction of my now-mothballed dreadnought has left me bereft of functional warships, and now real life is conspiring against my capacity to construct new craft, so it will likely be some time before I can battle. When I do, however, it will likely be with a cruiser and several fighters--probably ~120 tons and 3-4 ships; hopefully these terms are acceptable.

I appreciate the offer, but the vast amount of time I poured into the construction of my now-mothballed dreadnought has left me bereft of functional warships, and now real life is conspiring against my capacity to construct new craft, so it will likely be some time before I can battle. When I do, however, it will likely be with a cruiser and several fighters--probably ~120 tons and 3-4 ships; hopefully these terms are acceptable.

Most of my capitals are from 60-100t, nothing above 100 sofar. Fighters are almost exclusively under 10t, so i think i could fight you pretty fairly. i also have a new 40t medium bomber being developed (its be classified as a corvette or frigate by most other players though). Anyways, since i basically gave up making ultra massive ships (as armor is pointless anyways against properly made weapons)

Anyways, update to the battle between AKS and Frozen:

After suffering massive damage, and despite not completely loosing their flagship A#1, AKS knew this battle was only going to be won if their last ship, A#2 was not destroyed. Seeing 1st hand what the primary weapon of the Blade of Eternity was capable of, and knowing the SK-CRV-IIIg3 had less armor then their unlucky flagship, the only way to win this battle was to disable the remaining warship's weapons systems. The last HK-103, B#2 was deployed with this specific task at hand.

AKS knew that their fighter did not have enough firepower to reliably destroy the entire ship, nor was it equipped with accurate guided weapons, so the only option was a close range shot at the weapons hardpoints. During a scan of the vessel, a weakspot was found that had the potential to cut the entire front half, including the weapons clean off the vessel, and the fighter used its RT-5 torpedo in an attempt to do this. It missed, and failed to destroy the entire front, but managed to dislodge half of the ship's weapon systems. Afterwards, the ibeams were used agaunst the other hardpoint, the 1st missing entirelky, and the 2nd scoring a direct hit and shooting it off. The 3rd was used to just shoot at the midsection but it did not do any real damage.

After the success, the HK-103 was given orders to find and disable all weapons that have been dislodged. After finding the 1st and connecting to it, the fighter calculated that the bets course of action would be to shoot the enemy ship with said weapons, and ended up disabling them by firing into teh enemy ship, destroying it in the process. The 2nd stack of missiles was also found, and disabled by wasting its fuel.

After a resounding success, the data from B#2 was deemed valuable enough to upload to the AKS network for all HK series fighters and interceptors to learn from. This is for all intents and purposes like giving B#2 hero status, but since its a non-sentient droid fighter, its not like it would care either way.

here is the persist:

http://www./download/uymhoo7yc4p61ez/AKSvsFrozenbattleRound3.sfs

Anyways, according to how i interpreted rules, weapons stealing (and thus using them against target) is allowed. I made a save before i actually went all out and started shooting you with your own weapons if you think this is somehow unfair i can redo the turn from that point on. You still have a working ship and i have one ship left that is any real threat to you, so GL with the final battle! hopefully the weaker armor of the 3rd gen corvette doesnt end up loosing the battle, its not THAT much weaker, but it is way more suceptible to anything including shorter ibeams then the 2nd gen version i had as teh flagship.

In other news, AKSTechnologies has just completed the requested armor upgrades on the CO-102 capital ship. It is far from indestructible but it is bloody tough to split in half or disable entirely with a single shot.

http://www./download/4eec788yu19r86f/Co-102A%28AKS%29.craft

You are free to utilize the new model in however you want, and seeing as you developed some good weapons (that torpedo kinda hurt my most powerful armored ship i have right now), i dont think i need to supply you with AKS munitions. That said, if you are interested in a future partnership AKSTechnologies is all for it and will be glad to upgrade you vessels, provide you with customized weapons, and perhaps we can even create some new ships with both companies working together.

Edited by panzer1b

Your guys stuff looks as good as always. I have wanted to get into some battles but I always have too much IRL stuff to work on.

I made some new tanks you warmongers might like to check out.

lt53eLb.jpg

More info, download and pictures here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121860-Stock-Tank-JTF-Striker-Medium-Tank

They have sub-par armor but they have a smaller profile that is harder to hit at ranges and has a 360 rotating turret to supplement its anti-tank flamethrowers.

Most of my capitals are from 60-100t, nothing above 100 sofar. Fighters are almost exclusively under 10t, so i think i could fight you pretty fairly.

Excellent. My preliminary estimates suggest that I shall end up with a 90-ton cruiser and a 15-ton fighter, so we seem fairly even. Alas, I still have to actually construct these ships, but whatever...Also, I believe I have found a way to make I-Beam missiles extremely effective versus even heavily armored targets without increasing their inefficiency, although this hypothesis warrants further testing once I have more time.

EDIT: Much ninja'ing!

I made some new tanks you warmongers might like to check out.

Welcome! Those tanks look pretty good; I enjoy the sepratron flamethrower port.

The SX-13's got a big brother now...

The high-symmetry 650s look awesome, though I am not really sure how effective they will be as armor...But still, this makes me want to participate in battles even more. Curse you, real life!

[The only reason I am posting here is to procrastinate as much as possible on assignments. :P]

Edited by Three1415

Excellent. My preliminary estimates suggest that I shall end up with a 90-ton cruiser and a 15-ton fighter, so we seem fairly even. Alas, I still have to actually construct these ships, but whatever...Also, I believe I have found a way to make I-Beam missiles extremely effective versus even heavily armored targets without increasing their inefficiency, although this hypothesis warrants further testing once I have more time.

EDIT: Much ninja'ing!

Welcome! Those tanks look pretty good; I enjoy the sepratron flamethrower port.

The high-symmetry 650s look awesome, though I am not really sure how effective they will be as armor...But still, this makes me want to participate in battles even more. Curse you, real life!

[The only reason I am posting here is to procrastinate as much as possible on assignments. :P]

to be exact my most recent HK-103 (the fighter i using against frozen) is a hair under 8t, but i can easily make it 10t when swapping the froward RT-5 torp for a stack of 2-3 Tripedo-Ss. My mainstream capital ship right now is teh3 SK-CRV-IIIg3, which weighs ~75t. I think i could easily fight a 15t fighter and a 90t warship, provided i can have a slight edge in numbers (perhaps 1 more ship then you (say you deploy 1 capital and 2 fighter, i would prolly bring 1capital and 3 fighters, or just increase the firepower/armor of my ships and make them similar to u tonage wise).

Also, what do u mean by ibeam effectiveness? ive always had mixed results with ibeams, sometimes i actually manage to shoot off a nice chunk of enemy ship, sometimes multiple volleys do absolutely nothing but superficial damage if that. And against capitals ive found the bare minimum to be a long ibeam+2-4 seps depending on what raneg u want to fire from. The short ones or the stubby ones (650 is think) make terrible ordinance against anything but fighters or unarmored crap.

FInally, as for the 650 armor, it looks nice yes, but i dont use those as they up the part count way way way too much for my tastes and dont offer enough benefits imo. I prefer making larger vessels that have some redundancy with separate dedicated fighting compartments instead of compact capital ships (the reason the SK_CRV-IIIs are the way the are is that originally each section was supposed to have its own engines, weapons, fuel, and power/utility equipment. Ofc the 3rd generation cut back on alot of this redundancy (not every section has 6 vernors anymore), so it lost the benefits the designh had when it was 1st made (the g1 and to some extent the g2 has this). Nukes switching to lf only also didnt help me as now i need dedicated RCS (err vernor) fuel which just makes it less attractive to use them. A prototype g4 with LFO only drive and WAY more redundancy worked better, but the loss to range was so bad it just didnt make any sense. better have useable dV (its still bad even with nukes) then a situational feature such as the absurd redundancy the ships used to have (not to mention the sheer part count that took up). Redundancy to a certain extent is totally useful, past that it makes no sense to invest parts and weight into.

Edited by panzer1b

to be exact my most recent HK-103 (the fighter i using against frozen) is a hair under 8t, but i can easily make it 10t when swapping the froward RT-5 torp for a stack of 2-3 Tripedo-Ss. My mainstream capital ship right now is teh3 SK-CRV-IIIg3, which weighs ~75t. I think i could easily fight a 15t fighter and a 90t warship, provided i can have a slight edge in numbers (perhaps 1 more ship then you (say you deploy 1 capital and 2 fighter, i would prolly bring 1capital and 3 fighters, or just increase the firepower/armor of my ships and make them similar to u tonage wise).

I would be willing to accept a one-ship disadvantage (especially as it would only be a fighter), but of course true negotiations must wait until the ships are complete...

Also, what do u mean by ibeam effectiveness? ive always had mixed results with ibeams, sometimes i actually manage to shoot off a nice chunk of enemy ship, sometimes multiple volleys do absolutely nothing but superficial damage if that.

I mean that I have constructed a weapon system that A: Allows the storage of a large quantity of (short) I-Beam rockets; and B: Allows them to be extremely effective against capital ships, to the point of causing severe damage to even Dreks with single volleys. They are as of yet inconsistent, but I believe I can decrease their variance from volley to volley with further testing. This weapon system will be mounted and field-tested on my cruiser; it is classified until then. :sticktongue:

FInally, as for the 650 armor, it looks nice yes, but i dont use those as they up the part count way way way too much for my tastes and dont offer enough benefits imo.

I agree in this respect; the only time I ever use 650s as armor is on small fighters, where they are more economical mass- and volume-wise than plating; capital ship armor does not at all benefit from their use, thus my concern over ScriptKitt3h's new ship's durability (I suspect that the 650 column is too flexible to avoid being clipped through the outer armor when taking fire; this would result in the destruction of interior components with great rapidity).

Ok I sent the CJS Blade of Eternity to attack the A#2 this time. They were in very similar orbits just opposite directions so I reversed orbit as it passed.

I only had 6 I beam rockets left so I decided to fire them all together rather than one at a time to try to overload the joints. Also fired from 180m to get some phasing going.

The left three I beams did some damage to the armour and destroyed some fuel tanks. The right three destroyed a pair of engines so the ship may be unbalanced.

To finish my turn I shed the armour to get more dV and reversed orbit again to be a more difficult target.

Six I beams fired:

ZncDf55.png

Direct hit!

LEglFee.png

Moderate damage done

kJARKsm.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.