RV-105 RCS Thruster Block no longer available for use?

I can't find any information on the fact that I'm unable to launch a rocket I put together earlier because it contains RV-105 RCS Thruster Blocks which are now experimental and not available. Why is such a basic and important component no longer available?

Aren't contracts a very recent update? I haven't completed a single one and although the contracts list has appeared in bottom left of the VAB, it's empty and contains no contracts. I've had the RCS blocks for a long time. I even have nuclear rocket engines which I'm pretty sure come after the RCS blocks.

I don't know what version I have but since it's installed and managed via Steam, I imagine it's always kept up-to-date. Contracts were not present when I installed the game a couple of months ago. I didn't move any saves. The saves were moved automatically or whatever.

I have checked the tech tree and indeed the thruster blocks where unlocked a few tiers ago. In the VAB, they're present but greyed out.

You're right, I was thinking of mod parts not showing in the VAB after adding the mod post career start, which requires manual unlocking in the tech tree, but that obviously doesn't apply here.

Something strange is going on. I usually only see greyed out parts when starting a new ship, some parts cannot be the root part. But that doesn't apply as you're using a previously constructed ship. I take it you're not able to place them on a new ship either?

The RCS parts were moved, which locks them in converted saves. You can fix it by editing your save file. That's located in KSP/saves/[your save name]/persistence.sfs

Make a backup copy of your persistence.sfs and open it in a plain text editor (Notepad on Windows). Then find the tech tree entries that look something like this:

Tech
{
id = advFlightControl
state = Available
part = winglet3
part = Mark2Cockpit
part = ...
}

Then find these parts listed in the tech nodes and delete them:

part = winglet3
part = Mark2Cockpit
part = advSasModule
part = probeCoreOcto
part = RCSFuelTank
part = radialRCSTank
part = RCSBlock
part = linearRcs

Save your persistence.sfs, start your game. You should be able to unlock the parts in R&D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.