Total Newbie Stuck!

Hi folks..

I just started playing this game and after just 2 little test flights in a very basic rocket I have run out of money and there are no contracts and I can not seem to progress. :confused:

I'm on a Mac (so the contract cheat alt+F12 does not work)

Any tips how to continue please?

Do you mean the Debug Menu? I got that up by pressing Alt+cmd+F12. I think I managed to generate a contract using that but I can't even start the contract due to 'insufficient funds'.

Minute later:

Ok I completed the decoupling mission with the little funds I had. Now trying the 'escape the atmosphere' mission. How does one make more money?

Edited by Klunk

Klunk,

On most Macs, the F1-F12 keys have a different function (screen brightness, volume, etc.). To get the debug menu, press Alt/Option+Fn+F12. Then, to get the buttons for Funds, Science, and Reputation:

• Go to the Space Center
  • Open the debug menu
  • Hold Alt/Option for 5 seconds.

Usually, you make more money by completing contracts. You can also save quite a bit by recovering vessels close to the KSC, though that takes some practice.

If you're totally stuck and have difficulties try playing sandbox for a while. Don't be bothered with funds and science. Just learn the basics of the game.

Once you've learned how to get to orbit and possibly get to Mun give career mode another try.

If you're totally stuck and have difficulties try playing sandbox for a while. Don't be bothered with funds and science. Just learn the basics of the game.

Once you've learned how to get to orbit and possibly get to Mun give career mode another try.

+1 on this option

Thank you all of the help and tips. I completed the first basic missions by being economical with my rocket costs and have been rewarded with some funding. I will see how far I can continue.

Cheers! :)

THIS - but without the "if you're totally stuck". There is no point to involving all the trouble of funds and the insane tech-tree until you know how to design, build and fly vehicles.

Sandbox or Career, build simple. You can tweak the simple low cost SRB to 50% power to get better performance. Use just SRBs for the first suborbital flights. Don't try to do too much at once. Learn what each stage of flight does. The contracts and money will come in as you gain experience.

Run a Sandbox game to experiment with designs, then switch to your Career game to put them into practice.

While the assorted sandbox/restart suggestions are valid, you might also have fun in trying to pull your fledgling space program out of the financial hole you're in.

There are ways to acquire √ without requiring much expenditure. If there are no contracts available, time accelerate a couple of days and see what pops up. Many contracts will pay an advance as soon as you accept them. There are also ground-based testing contracts to do. Just put a capsule or probe core on top of a couple of girders, strap the test part to that and take it out to the launchpad. Run the test, recover the vessel and you should get all of your money back.

If you're struggling for science as well, remember that you can collect that from the ground also. Launch a craft that is nothing but the basic capsule. Once it's on the launchpad, right-click the capsule to run a crew report. Then send your pilot on EVA and collect a surface sample and an EVA report. Get back in the capsule, recover the vessel and get your money back along with some useful science points.

You only get to do this once (science rewards degrade when repeated, to avoid grinding), but you can do it once each on the launchpad and the runway; they're different biomes. You can also send your EVA Kerbals for a wander down to the beach to cheaply collect even more surface samples and EVA reports (that would take a bit of time, though; Kerbals have little legs and clumsy spacesuits).

For beginner's budget rocketry, solid fuel boosters are your friend. They're a lot cheaper (but heavier and less controllable) than the liquid fuelled alternative.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.