[1.0.5] Snacks! Kerbal simplified life support v0.3.5

tgruetzm

1 hour ago, OldLost said:

Since no one was kind enough to help I went ahead and did as said above and it appears to have all worked out fine. Thanks for nothing.

Sorry that nobody saw your post, but you really don't need to be a dick about it. Anyway, I'm almost postive just removing the "Snacks!" folder from your gamedata would have done the trick.

Wasn't trying to be a dick, but I can see how it might have been taken that way; guess I should have included a smiley face emote. :)

Before posting I did try to just remove the Snacks folder and I could not load any craft which had snack resources, meaning the button to control the craft from the tracking station was not clickable. Once the Snacks folder was put back all was back to normal.

Regardless, after changing all Pathfinder containers to something other than snacks, then removing the mod, then editing the sfs file to remove all snack resources got everything to work.

20 hours ago, OldLost said:

Wasn't trying to be a dick, but I can see how it might have been taken that way; guess I should have included a smiley face emote. :)

Before posting I did try to just remove the Snacks folder and I could not load any craft which had snack resources, meaning the button to control the craft from the tracking station was not clickable. Once the Snacks folder was put back all was back to normal.

Regardless, after changing all Pathfinder containers to something other than snacks, then removing the mod, then editing the sfs file to remove all snack resources got everything to work.

Well I'm glad everything worked out. 

:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this mod, and I really like it. I wanted someway to add a little realism in the manner of adding needed supplies, but without getting too burdened down with all the crazy logistics. Basically, wanted a bit of a challenge to keeping Kerbals alive, but still be fun and silly. This mod is perfect.

That being said, I'm looking for a way to re-supply a ship/base with more snacks, or add more for long-duration missions. Any parts out there to do this save large crew modules? Was hoping some of the USI parts might allow for snack cargo options, but didn't see any. Saw one mod for parts, but it hasn't been updated in over 2 years, so likely not going to work.

Ideas?

Edit: After reading some of the older posts, I agree with the simplicity in having crew areas come with snacks and needing more for longer missions, but my main concern is in resupply. This mod, as it stands, basically limits you to not have arbitrarily long missions or remote bases. I like something to encourage more living space for longer missions, but some way to resupply space stations, Mun bases, etc, I think is pretty essential for this mod to work for the life of a career game. Otherwise, the first permanent non-Kerbin habitat you set up, even in orbit, will force you to rethink keeping this mod.

P.S. Honestly, this seems like it would be perfect to become stock with the game. Not too complicated, and fits the theme nicely.

Edited by AmpCat

2 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Just found this mod, and I really like it. I wanted someway to add a little realism in the manner of adding needed supplies, but without getting too burdened down with all the crazy logistics. Basically, wanted a bit of a challenge to keeping Kerbals alive, but still be fun and silly. This mod is perfect.

That being said, I'm looking for a way to re-supply a ship/base with more snacks, or add more for long-duration missions. Any parts out there to do this save large crew modules? Was hoping some of the USI parts might allow for snack cargo options, but didn't see any. Saw one mod for parts, but it hasn't been updated in over 2 years, so likely not going to work.

Ideas?

Edit: After reading some of the older posts, I agree with the simplicity in having crew areas come with snacks and needing more for longer missions, but my main concern is in resupply. This mod, as it stands, basically limits you to not have arbitrarily long missions or remote bases. I like something to encourage more living space for longer missions, but some way to resupply space stations, Mun bases, etc, I think is pretty essential for this mod to work for the life of a career game. Otherwise, the first permanent non-Kerbin habitat you set up, even in orbit, will force you to rethink keeping this mod.

P.S. Honestly, this seems like it would be perfect to become stock with the game. Not too complicated, and fits the theme nicely.

My mods all have storage containers for Snacks, and both Pathfinder and MOLE have greenhouses to grow snacks, and I've used them on Duna. You could also use the Snacks mod's snack grinder, found in the stock MPL. It produces snacks from Ore.

I've been looking at the Pathfinder mod, but I've been focusing more on long-duration space craft and large mining landers. Mostly because driving around in KSP (especially long distances) is such a pain.

I'll take another look at the mods. And somehow I missed the MPL change. I usually have an MPL and on mining my craft. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody want to give Snacks 1.2 PRE-RELEASE a try? I've recompiled Snacks for KSP 1.2 pre-release. I think a nice mechanic in the future would be to reduce the vessel to partial control when the crew has starved for a certain amount of time. Basically, just like you can lose partial control of your ship when out of communication with Kerbin, you can have the option where kerbals go on strike if they've gone hungry for too long. That would involve losing partial control of your vessel. Another option is to complete what @tgruetzm was going to do, and add a lethal option for when you starve for too long. Both would be turned off by default. So basically your options when running out of snacks would be:

Lose reputation.
After enough times missing snacks, the crew might revolt, resulting in a partial loss of control of the vessel.
After enough times missing snacks, the crew might die.

You can have all three options turned on if you want...

I've also considered a "Snacks Plus" addon for the mod, that would include a greenhouse, recycler, and snack containers. The greenhouse would let you grow snacks (and would use the Community Resource Pack resources), and the recycler would simply reduce the number of snacks consumed per day. Snack containers- well, contain snacks. Snacks Plus would be a separate download so that those who want the simplicity of the existing mod can have that simplicity, while others who want containers and such can have the extra complexity.

Sounds good?

Edited by Angel-125

37 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I've also considered a "Snacks Plus" addon for the mod, that would include a greenhouse, recycler, and snack containers. The greenhouse would let you grow snacks (and would use the Community Resource Pack resources), and the recycler would simply reduce the number of snacks consumed per day.

Ahh - so USI-LS style recyclers then :)  It's proven to be a nice mechanic.

I like the ideas a lot. I'm not yet real interested in heavy logistics, so a few extra things for relying on snacks and long-term missions sounds great. I've already had to scrap ideas for sending a nice little ship I had to Eeloo. Not enough snacks! Have to make a much bigger one.

33 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Ahh - so USI-LS style recyclers then :)  It's proven to be a nice mechanic.

Recyclers are definitely helpful, along with many other things that it adds. Timers for space requirements is especially fun, and have given me reason to do crew rotations. I'm especially looking forward to radiation effects. If USI-LS has solar storms (and accompanying storm shelter mechanics), I'll be happy. :)

And with your philosophy of not bricking the mission, having a partial control loss if you don't get enough food should be gentle enough to make starving annoying but recoverable and fit well with Snacks' lightweight footprint (and would be neat to see in USI-LS too).

26 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

I like the ideas a lot. I'm not yet real interested in heavy logistics, so a few extra things for relying on snacks and long-term missions sounds great. I've already had to scrap ideas for sending a nice little ship I had to Eeloo. Not enough snacks! Have to make a much bigger one.

I'm more of a USI-LS convert these days, but Snacks is really great for being just enough in the way that you have to pay attention while avoiding the more complicated mechanics of the other life support mods. I'd still like to see someone pick up the torch but until then, I'll keep the lights on. :)

On 9/14/2016 at 9:22 PM, Angel-125 said:

I'm more of a USI-LS convert these days, but Snacks is really great for being just enough in the way that you have to pay attention while avoiding the more complicated mechanics of the other life support mods. I'd still like to see someone pick up the torch but until then, I'll keep the lights on. :)

I've been contemplating learning how to mod KSP, just for a new challenge. I don't have much of any KSP modding experience, but this might be a good chance for me to learn. If you'd be willing to show me how to update Snacks for 1.2 and get my feet on the ground, I might be able to pick this up. I'll start looking for tutorials and such as well. If you don't have the time to show me how Snacks works, I can always get my feet wet on something simpler, then maybe consider picking up Snacks when I have some experience.

Edited by AmpCat

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Elkram said:

Nice work, I'll give it a try tomorrow, will let you know if I find anything.

Uh, I have to fix up the rest of Snacks first...

Speaking of which, the updates for Snacks I'm looking at are:

• Enable/Disable random snacking. If disabled, then kerbals consume the standard allotment of snacks per day.
  • Enable/Disable reputation loses when kerbals go hungry (Career mode): When enabled, you lose rep. This is current behavior.
  • Enable/Disable partial vehicle control loss when kerbals go hungry. So even if you have a pilot aboard, you'll lose partial control if your kerbals go hungry.
  • Enable/Disable fines when kerbals go hungry (Career mode): You'll receive a fine for not feeding your crew.
  • Enable/Disable recyclers: Recyclers reduce the Snacks consumed. For now, only the Hitchhikers have a recycler.
  • Above options are set in KSP's Difficulty Settings menu.
  • Aforementioned Snacks containers. Models and textures courtesy of SQUAD/Porkjet. You can always delete the parts if you don't want them...
  • KSPedia entries
Edited by Angel-125

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Got the options working:

6yTG2Yf.png

Awesome!

I just noticed the thread title still says it's for 1.0.5. Maybe, once you got it working for 1.2, you should fork your snacks version into a new thread becouse the title is misleading.

Edited by Elkram

6 hours ago, Elkram said:

Just tested it, mine aren't consumed too. 1.2pre, windows 10, x64.

I haven't updated Snacks yet. It is still compiled for an early pre-release. I have to do some updates brfore it can handle the latest pre-release.

once I'm done I'll start a new thread. It is clear that the original author isn't coming back.

Edited by Angel-125

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

I haven't updated Snacks yet. It is still compiled for an early pre-release. I have to do some updates brfore it can handle the latest pre-release.

It's ok. Ill give it a test once you post it.

On 10/6/2016 at 0:05 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

I forgot to mention that I'm still running 1.1.3

No worries, I've verified that my updates are working in KSP 1.2 (with the exception of partial vessel control, still working on that one).

Speaking of which, here are some KSPedia images:

Spoiler

nWjfcku.png

TQxlLRu.png

KDirt86.png

pr4uViX.png

XY6nlZ0.png

Edited by Angel-125

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

No worries, I've verified that my updates are working in KSP 1.2 (with the exception of partial vessel control, still working on that one).

Speaking of which, here are some KSPedia images:

Oh man you are doing an incredible and awesome job with Snacks. It's so cool all the options you are adding. The snacks tanks doesnt look good thou. Considering all the job you have done to this mod they look somewhat subpar but I unsderstand part creation is hard by it self. I could try to make better textures for them. Im not a proffesional by any means but I dont mind trying to give you a hand. Im not a modeler but I could try repainting the textures.

All the rest is so cool I can't wait to play with it, thanks for taking the time.

4 hours ago, Elkram said:

Oh man you are doing an incredible and awesome job with Snacks. It's so cool all the options you are adding. The snacks tanks doesnt look good thou. Considering all the job you have done to this mod they look somewhat subpar but I unsderstand part creation is hard by it self. I could try to make better textures for them. Im not a proffesional by any means but I dont mind trying to give you a hand. Im not a modeler but I could try repainting the textures.

All the rest is so cool I can't wait to play with it, thanks for taking the time.

Well, the Snack Tins are straight from the rocket parts revamp by Porkjet, but if you want to fiddle with the models and textures, go for it. :) If you come up with something better I'll be happy to include them in a future update and credit your work. For now, I'll keep them as is. Meanwhile, here is my Snacks Continued thread:

I had a lot of fun refactoring and redesigning the original code to streamline it and update it for KSP 1.2. I even got to build a KSPedia for Snacks. There's a bit more to do, such as continue investigating how partial vessel control works and replacing the OnGUI-based supply window with the newer canvas-based system (something I've not done before), and adding hooks in for addons to Snacks. But the new version is tested and working. If you folks have suggestions for other consequences for hungry kerbals, I'll consider them. Please keep in mind that Snacks is lightweight, and takes the game's philosophy of not bricking your mission.

Edited by Angel-125

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Well, the Snack Tins are straight from the rocket parts revamp by Porkjet, but if you want to fiddle with the models and textures, go for it. :) If you come up with something better I'll be happy to include them in a future update and credit your work. For now, I'll keep them as is. Meanwhile, here is my Snacks Continued thread:

I had a lot of fun refactoring and redesigning the original code to streamline it and update it for KSP 1.2. I even got to build a KSPedia for Snacks. There's a bit more to do, such as continue investigating how partial vessel control works and replacing the OnGUI-based supply window with the newer canvas-based system (something I've not done before), and adding hooks in for addons to Snacks. But the new version is tested and working. If you folks have suggestions for other consequences for hungry kerbals, I'll consider them. Please keep in mind that Snacks is lightweight, and takes the game's philosophy on not bricking your mission.

Not sure if it works with deepfreeze. I think i remember it does, but just in case I't would be cool if freezed kerbals stoped consuming snacks.

Another thing, may making kerbals trow out the window some science results when they get hungry, maybe at random.