Which one?

regex

Which mod do you think will be added?  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Which mod do you think will be added?

Regarding part mods, I believe HarvesteR's reasoning still applies - the more parts are in game, the more tedious any updates of underlying mechanics is. So I think it will not be a parts mod.

Unless they ditch some of the unpopular parts...

It'd be good to have diversity in spaceplane aesthetics, though. At the moment, anything built with stock Mk3's looks bodgy Space-Shuttle-ish, Mk2s look bodgy 50's jet-ish, and most things built with SP+ tend to end up as some variation on an SR-71 (much prettier, but still a bit same-ish).

Multiple cockpits (or an aesthetic tweakable) per size would be wonderful.

(not expecting anything like this before game completion, though)

I'm going with B9, what that's not on the list you say? Why the heck not!

Definitely no.

A new version of B9 is in the works and is coming soontm

Unless this new version was never meant to be released as a mod :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's spaceplane plus or KAS, but I hope that it's FAR. The game really needs better aerodynamics.

Nope. Ferram has said it is not FAR/NEAR.

Maxmaps did mention parts that are non-hugo earlier. But it won't really make sense to modify a part mod, let alone pay for it.

Not only it makes sense, but the only way they could use a part created by a modder, would be by paying for it (or by hiring the modder, as they did before). A plugin they could just code themselves. If they model themselves a part to copy an existing mod, it would be considered plagiarism. An art asset is an authoral creation.

Definitely no.

A new version of B9 is in the works and is coming soontm

Unless this new version was never meant to be released as a mod :confused:

Don't forget they have worked with bac9 before and we know they are working on planes in 0.25 (or at least their cockpits)

Hmm, perhaps Firespitter, I'm not completly versed in its functionality to comment on it though, as far as I am aware all it is is an animation plugin, anyone want to tell me precisly how wrong I am?

Remote tech, I think I remember reading a comment from a dev that basically ruled that out some time ago. I can not recall anything at all about said comment aside from that so take that as you will.

B9 is a set of parts that do not mesh well with stock (though well made) and as Kasuha said, more parts more time it takes to update everyone of them.

Maxmaps did mention parts that are non-hugo earlier. But it won't really make sense to modify a part mod, let alone pay for it.
Squad will probably have their own ideas about what the art should be like. I would be more surprised if a part pack mod was included in stock without at least a once-over on the artwork.

At no point have they said modder. The SomethingAwful and Twitter link all mention the word mod.

Well actually, in Maxmap's second post on somethingawful:

This isn't like us taking in a feature that a mod has already done before, it's a whole thing we are buying from a skilled modder.

So they are basically buying a (slightly modified) mod from a modder...

Orangewarning comes up with a good point though, Kospy is suddenly active? SUSPICIOUS. Still skeptical though...

Parkaboy raises a good point to; they are paying the modder for the mod, that suggests there is some proper user generated content in it, not just a plugin that squad could write... I'm more inclined to think its a part mod now, but not just one that adds parts, but also unique fuctionality for said parts; not a part pack though, stuff like Firespitter, B9, LLL, KW or Novapunch adds too many parts, and could muddle the parts list with very similar parts...

could still be firespitter. probably just a bunch of those turbo prop, not all the parts.

Ehh... Not so sure... Snjo can write a damn useful plugin, and his Firespitter mod is very well made, it's just... very limited use; most of the props being only useful on Kerbin and Laythe and can't be used to even make an SSTO (well, not effectively). They're great fun, but I just don't think Squad are likely to add his parts to their Space game... Besides, if they were going to add anything of Snjo's, it would be the Banana. BANANA = MASTER RACE!

KER is a simple

The code required to robustly calculate available delta-v for any kind of rocket is not simple.

Then again maybe you are correct in saying that it is to buggy for integration in stock.

yet important mod for many players, even necessary for some.

Are you saying the majority of KSP players is happy with either calculating delta-v by hand, or by multiple trials and errors for various phases of long term missions? I very much doubt that is true.

edit: in fact a poll on this matter showed a large majority in favor delta-v and twr readout becoming stock:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77642-Should-KSP-have-a-Delta-V-readout

they have mentioned before they would prefer the "numbers" to not be stock.

Then again, they already have put all kinds of numbers in the game. It tells you how much delta-v you need, just not how much delta-v you have. And they have changed their mind several times in the past.

If it was just a mechanic, the devs would just code it.

If it was just parts, the devs would just create the parts.

Most parts that we have now have been created a long time ago, and most of the time since then has been spent on coding. They spent more time on coding because coding is generally harder than asset creation. I'm not saying the creation of nice assets is trivial, i am saying writing robust code is even less trivial.

Even though "plugins are designed in a different way than Squad can design its gamecode", existing code can save Squad a lot of time on the reinvention of several 'wheels'.

But the argument is moot, since it appears to be confirmed that it's going to be parts.

Edited by rkman

Well rkman I wouldn't confirmed as such. We know that it is going to be repeated to parts and that in the past Harv has said that simply adding parts at this time isn't a good idea because it increases the update time if something changes, say price balancing. It doesn't rule it out but it puts more strength towards a plugin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.