[WIP] Freight Transportation Technologies (Mine/Haul/Fly)

RoverDude

Freighter Transportation Technologies

Initial results from the analysis of probe data have revealed an exciting new power source for all of Kerbalkind. Crystalline formations of of pure Karbonium (one of the main elements in the more common compound Karbonite) have been discovered in the Kerbol system.

Preliminary analysis shows that small amounts of pure Karbonium can be found on the surface of Eve, Eeloo, as well as trace amounts inside of asteroids.

Initial tests of pure Karbonium have proven it to be an extremely versatile and valuable fuel source, and with performance characteristics far superior to traditional liquid fuel engines, may soon usher in a new age of exploration and space travel.

Freighter Transportation Technologies is a new add-on for Kerbal Space Program that builds upon the Karbonite and Asteroid Recycling Technologies (ART) mods with new parts, resources, and gameplay options.

The centerpiece of this mod is Karbonium, a new and extremely valuable resource, both monentarily, and as a superior fuel source for space travel. The remaining components of the mod will focus on the harvesting, transportation, and use of this new resource.

Features/parts:

1. Karbonium: This new resource, when used in engines, maintains the extreme TWR of Karbonite engines, but at a much higher efficiency. These engines will, by their nature, be vastly superior to their LFO counterparts, but are dependent on a scarce resource (Karbonium) that is unavailable on Kerbin except in very small (and expensive) test quantities.

2. Karbo-Electric Engines: Provides thrust by vaporizing Karbonium pellets (2500-5000 ISP).

3. New ORS Maps: Karbonium deposits on Eeloo and Eve only.

4. The 'Honeybadger' heavy mining lander, designed for Karbonium harvesting on Eve, Eeloo, or asteroidal mining based on the configuration. Includes atmospheric and Karbonite-driven

5. Asteroid probes and mining equipment to harvest Karbonium and other resources from asteroids.

6. Larger mass driver engines for asteroidal operations

7. Karbonium extractors and storage tanks

Edited by RoverDude

Will also have to have some high power generators - these will be in-line with NFT and use the same resources, just different form factors (i.e. to fit the Honeybadger's shape/size)

Even i like the idea of freight transporters for all the ore/substrate etc i fear the amount of resources, if used with MKS/OKS/Karbonite. Already now the resourcepannel is longer then the screen(1920x1180) xD

Hope you have a solution also for that :D

Even i like the idea of freight transporters for all the ore/substrate etc i fear the amount of resources, if used with MKS/OKS/Karbonite. Already now the resourcepannel is longer then the screen(1920x1180) xD

But isn't this only relevant if all of those resources are on the current vessel?

Try the Alternate Resource Panel from TriggerAu - it allows things like hiding some resources based on quantity triggers, as far as I remember, so things only show when you run low :)

Very nice. I can start to see the outlines here of a whole game mode based on a comprehensive solar system economy. I imagine a Karbonium trade empire blockading access to Eve, while running rings around nascent space economies trying to sequester resources on Jool's moons. The Eeloo consortium, violently opposed to Eve's monopoly and dependent on Kerbin for energy resource deliveries to its cold, dark outposts, attempts to break the blockade whenever its long synodic period brings it close to Eve. Flare ups, tensions, ships crisscrossing the kerbal system on high-burn trajectories, a glorious flowering of kerbal culture: dancing, flickering lights across the vast darkness of the void.

You're managing like what 6 or seven mods already, providing tech and trouble shooting on them, and now your starting another? Have you ever had one of those moment where you realize:

uJxM0Ms.jpg

:wink::P

You sir, are awesome. Keep up the amazing work!!

...fair enough...

I just build a normal MKS base with a karbonite drill unit, converters for fuels/monoprop to refill landing supply ships. I use Life support. Here is a screenshot how it looks on 1776x1000 (window mode on a 1920x1080 monitor):

DKLTvHB.png

As you can see, the list is way too long :) I guess we have to use the UI Tool "Crater" mentioned to hide stuff like Repairkits/Basicmachinery which you don't need often.

I can't imagine what would happen if i would also have the Launchpad Mod -.-

Edited by Ringkeeper

What are you thinking in terms of parts you want? I'm thinking it would be cool to make a modular cargo system, similar to Universal Storage but bigger. Not sure how attaching containers to a frame would work, docking ports can be a little wobbly.

It would also be cool to have visible crystals placed on the surface where deposits are located.

What are you thinking in terms of parts you want? I'm thinking it would be cool to make a modular cargo system, similar to Universal Storage but bigger. Not sure how attaching containers to a frame would work, docking ports can be a little wobbly.

It would also be cool to have visible crystals placed on the surface where deposits are located.

Excellent question. Going to have to noodle over a parts list. Here's the current ship design as a WIP:

mC7DLfQ.png

Excellent question. Going to have to noodle over a parts list. Here's the current ship design as a WIP:

http://i.imgur.com/mC7DLfQ.png

Awsome ship :) I guess the center is the transport container? Would it be possible to make it detachable so you can land f.e. an empty container , pick up a full one and fly away?

Similar to this helicopter system? Or better say more like this.

I'm not good at discribing, hope you get what i mean :D

Awsome ship :) I guess the center is the transport container? Would it be possible to make it detachable so you can land f.e. an empty container , pick up a full one and fly away?

Similar to this helicopter system? Or better say more like this.

I'm not good at discribing, hope you get what i mean :D

Parts really would not support that, and you'd either need to be really lucky with docking ports, or use KAS...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.