[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

But it turns out i'm not using it so much anymore and turn to self build stuff. After getting aware of this i came up with the reasons i think i dont use it as much anymore:

- No Scansat Module Integration (this could be done with MM configs and some smaller parts of course :)

- No Ore/Resource Scanning capability

- No integration of Dmagics Science mods

I know that these are all not stock but i think they should be and they are so wiedely used they should be integrated.

I could even help with the MM configs if you would need help with that.

Well on top of the box it does not look so cool anymore imo. But thanks for the info with the scansat part i gonna look for them :-)

ScanSat and Dmagic integration with BoxSat are two of the most commonly requests we receive. I generally respond with something about how the parts from these mods are meant to be external and already fit very well on the outside of BoxSat. This time I've decided to let pictures speak for me.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(I used tweakscale on some parts just for fun)

In short these parts already work with BoxSat and for the most part they look great together. So when I get these requests I don't understand why so much effort should be invested in reinventing something that already works when we could instead work on other parts. Please help me understand what isn't working for you. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

ScanSat and Dmagic integration with BoxSat are two of the most commonly requests we receive. I generally respond with something about how the parts from these mods are meant to be external and already fit very well on the outside of BoxSat. This time I've decided to let pictures speak for me.

In short these parts already work with BoxSat and for the most part they look great together. So when I get these requests I don't understand why so much effort should be invested in reinventing something that already works when we could instead work on other parts. Please help me understand what isn't working for you. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Absolutly love your mod. It is really fun to build this little guys and get them out into space. I got one question. If I close the box with the front panel, there is no way to right click on stuff under it to get some functionality, right?

Please keep up the great work! Only one request, and maybe it is in it and i didn't found it so far (i am in career): Could you add this kind of electric generater that makes electric out oh oxigen and hydrogen (was it that??), Would be nice for areas, where solor is limited. If it is allready inside, please forget it :).

Absolutly love your mod. It is really fun to build this little guys and get them out into space. I got one question. If I close the box with the front panel, there is no way to right click on stuff under it to get some functionality, right?

Please keep up the great work! Only one request, and maybe it is in it and i didn't found it so far (i am in career): Could you add this kind of electric generater that makes electric out oh oxigen and hydrogen (was it that??), Would be nice for areas, where solor is limited. If it is allready inside, please forget it :).

certain science modules have pieces that extended through the boxes - but instead of placing a static hatch, you could place one that blows off - also a kerbal can remove a static panel using KIS

but as a thought, perhaps you can have a functionality where you can click a UI button to hide the hatch mesh for a bit - i've seen this used in others mods - perhaps KONQUEST by Alexustas

Is it working with AntennaRange?

This is what, I use

@PART[Antenna_HingedDish1]:FOR[AntennaRange]
{
%MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
{
%name = ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter
nominalRange = 30000000
maxPowerFactor = 8
maxDataFactor = 4
}
}

@PART[Antenna_Tape1]:FOR[AntennaRange]
{
{
nominalRange = 12000000
maxPowerFactor = 8
maxDataFactor = 4
}
}

@PART[Antenna_Tape2]:FOR[AntennaRange]
{
{
nominalRange = 2500000
maxPowerFactor = 8
maxDataFactor = 4
}
}

Great looking mod, Love the concept!

I have a problem though- how do I fit more than 2-3 'modules' in a box? They look like they should be 'drawers' or such and stack, but the attachment nodes only allow me to really put in one or two modules. Once one is a probe core, then I basically have a choice- science or prop, + batteries (and only one science).

Is it really that small or are the attachment nodes not working?

- - - Updated - - -

Great looking mod, Love the concept!

I have a problem though- how do I fit more than 2-3 'modules' in a box? They look like they should be 'drawers' or such and stack, but the attachment nodes only allow me to really put in one or two modules. Once one is a probe core, then I basically have a choice- science or prop, + batteries (and only one science).

Is it really that small or are the attachment nodes not working?

EDIT: stupid me. Wrong box! :D building my boxsat now :D

Thankyou! Great mod. There is a small issue when building it with KIS though, its really hard to select the nodes when putting the modules in and the hatch never seems to want to go on the right way no matter how I rotate it. I don't know if this is just KIS though.

Thankyou! Great mod. There is a small issue when building it with KIS though, its really hard to select the nodes when putting the modules in and the hatch never seems to want to go on the right way no matter how I rotate it. I don't know if this is just KIS though.

We have the hatch issue listed in the OP as a known issue. We're still deciding what to do about it.

We have the hatch issue listed in the OP as a known issue. We're still deciding what to do about it.

If your talking about where the node is on the hatch that makes it so hard would be to move the node out and on the box and on the hatch it self.

• 3 weeks later...
With the KANDL Radioisotope Rocket (by Porkjet, from AtomicAge) I'm finding myself wanting to put LqdHydrogen tank in BoxSat, but there's none :-(

Also, various Hall effect thrusters are asking for Argon tank. Please.

The Interstellar Fuel Switch mod should handle the first part for you no problem and with a little effort you could use IFS to let you put Argon in the Xenon tank.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but are there any plans to add some sort of adapter to make it easier to attach to upper stages if using the prototype engine assemblies?

Also, how can this be made compatible with AntennaRange?

The MechJeb config that comes with BoxSat overrides the config used by MechJeb Embedded (free for career version), which allows me to use all modules at all times. Obviously I don't need things like ascent guidance once I'm in space, but if I'm using a normal command pod (like the OKTO or HECS) in the upper stage, those modules should still be available on the launch vehicle. How can this conflict be resolved?

Edited by Bobe

Hey, love the plugin. Noticed an issue though, the Advanced Probe Core Module is only available if filtering parts by their size. It doesn't show up at all under the normal command pod tab.

I'll check this out. Are you playing Sandbox, Science, or Career mode?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but are there any plans to add some sort of adapter to make it easier to attach to upper stages if using the prototype engine assemblies?

The engine modules are designed to fit inside the Payload Frame. That's kind of an adapter if you squint just right.

Also, how can this be made compatible with AntennaRange?

I'll look into it.

The MechJeb config that comes with BoxSat overrides the config used by MechJeb Embedded (free for career version), which allows me to use all modules at all times. Obviously I don't need things like ascent guidance once I'm in space, but if I'm using a normal command pod (like the OKTO or HECS) in the upper stage, those modules should still be available on the launch vehicle. How can this conflict be resolved?

Please provide a link for the config you are using so I can test this.

Edited by orcmaul

The Interstellar Fuel Switch mod should handle the first part for you no problem and with a little effort you could use IFS to let you put Argon in the Xenon tank.
I understand this fully, but, needless to say, models of existing BoxSat tanks are so beautiful that I keep begging for more :-)

The engine modules are designed to fit inside the Payload Frame. That's kind of an adapter if you squint just right.

Oh so the engine basically becomes a second cube attached to the main one. Clever.

It might be nice to be able to close the bottom with a blowoff hatch, but currently it can't really attach the right way round. It will attach upside down, but the bottoms of the engine nozzles just barely clip through.

However ideally I think it would be better if that payload frame acted more like a shroud that could be jettisoned once in space. From a practical standpoint the frame probably isn't good for heat dissipation and frankly it just makes it look a little less pretty.

Please provide a link for the config you are using so I can test this.

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/221109-mechjeb-embedded-universal/files/2239526

In the "It's Free!" folder, there is just one config file.

Edited by Bobe

However ideally I think it would be better if that payload frame acted more like a shroud that could be jettisoned once in space. From a practical standpoint the frame probably isn't good for heat dissipation and frankly it just makes it look a little less pretty.

The Payload Frame is the mount for a set of larger Payload Modules. The engines being the first modules of this larger size. They can also be swapped with KIS.

Hey, love the plugin. Noticed an issue though, the Advanced Probe Core Module is only available if filtering parts by their size. It doesn't show up at all under the normal command pod tab.

So the story with this part is that I set it up to not be available unless you used the optional MM file that unlocks the part. It was intended to be optional for people who wanted an upgraded probe module in career. When they added the new ways of filtering parts it became visible even when the MM file wasn't installed. I'll have to change how that part is created so that it only exists if you have the optional module manager file loaded. For right now you can copy the "create_SASservicelevel_upgrade_part.cfg" file to your "BoxSatAlpha/Active_ModuleManager_Files" folder (or anywhere in gamedata really) and that'll make the part appear in the pods category.

about quad frames, how about instead of making them back, add nodes to the existing one so that we can stack them side to side too? this way we can put a pay load in center and have even bigger ones if need to?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.