Any mods that undo Squad's throttle fix?

Fair enough, Squad should add a check box to disable it. Problem solved.

Plenty of people would agree with this, myself included. But apparently there's not much to be done with it, either in terms of a mod or requesting Squad to undo the 'fix'.

And prepare to be inundated with messages about how it's not a big deal and how you shouldn't complain and just get used to it, if this thread ends up being anything like the others on the subject.

Interestingly, I'm one who doesn't see it as a big deal, but I'm not so arrogant as to believe how I play is the only or best way for all...

I'm just glad I was able to sidestep money in game, its a pity the throttle wasn't given the same "dealers choice" as it were...

Trivial as in it would be a great project for anybody who wants to get into KSP modding but has always thought it would be too daunting to learn.

Somebody who already knows how might get around to it, but most of them are busy with their own projects so unless it particularly ticks them off, well it's not exactly unlikely, but it's also not likely.

Actually I gave it a very very quick go (10 minutes tops) and found out that I really don't know where to change that.

I tried with a simple MonoBehaviour that reset the throttle during Start(): the log told me it had run, but something else set the throttle to 50% *after* my plugin.

It is surely a timing issue, but I didn't care enough to try and solve it.

Actually I gave it a very very quick go (10 minutes tops) and found out that I really don't know where to change that.

I tried with a simple MonoBehaviour that reset the throttle during Start(): the log told me it had run, but something else set the throttle to 50% *after* my plugin.

It is surely a timing issue, but I didn't care enough to try and solve it.

Thanks for giving it a try :), anyway, the thing to do now is to set throttle back to zero BEFORE starting the engine(s)... new task to add to preflight checklist !

Cute. I think it's great how bugs can become features. Like the whole 50% throttle 'helps' newbies. How can it possibly help anyone? After all, anyone who can't fly without this 'help' probably won't make it into orbit, let alone to another planet.

That throttle setting didn't even account for spaceplanes that might already have active engines and immediately make an attempt to roll down the runway.

How is that possible? I can't seem to launch something with engines active immediately, I need to either stage or action group the engines to start them.

I fail to understand how a 50% throttle is helpful to newbies anyway. Surely if you wanted to force a starting throttle that is useful to newbies, you'd pick 100%. I don't get why it's 50%. I'd prefer 0% like it was, but if you're going to start with the throttle up so newbies don't hit spacebar and go "but nothing happened - what's wrong?", then why is it not all the way up like you'd want for an initial launch (yes, I know about terminal velocity but you want it to get up TO terminal velocity as fast as possible and THEN throttle back when you hit it, and besides that's not an issue that a new player is thinking about anyway.)

What squad did, essentially, is make sure that new players who don't know about the throttle won't liftoff unless their rockets have a TWR of 2.0 or higher - even though plenty of good designs start with a TWR of 1.50 or so at initial liftoff.

In fact, after studying and learning, I have found that a good TWR on the pad is closer to 1.2~1.3: with a low TWR, FAR, and some trial and error, you can actually fly a true gravity turn (which is pretty much impossible with a TWR > 2, or at least it is for me).

In fact, after studying and learning, I have found that a good TWR on the pad is closer to 1.2~1.3: with a low TWR, FAR, and some trial and error, you can actually fly a true gravity turn (which is pretty much impossible with a TWR > 2, or at least it is for me).

That matches my experience, though I don't use FAR. Higher TWR rockets expend less dV but more fuel, making for a poorer payload fraction; payload fraction is the key to low cost launches.

This matches my experience as well. However, TWR is going to grow the higher you go, it's not going to go down. So you should start with a properly sized engine that gives you 1.2~1.3 at 100% throttle and allow it to increase naturally as you ascend. This is cheaper and more fuel efficient. So you still want 100% throttle, making this 50% thing stupid. I've said it before, but there should be a simple number up/down box that lets you choose what percent to start at in the settings if you must start with throttle at all.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this feature was a bug at one time.

The 'bug' eventually got fixed.

Unfortunately since the update, the 'fix' doesn't work and so needs a new 'fix' but there wasn't time before the update.

For now, it's easier just to call it the return of a 'feature'

And just like with any authority, if it gets denied, it will prove I'm right. ;o)

Unfortunately since the update, the 'fix' doesn't work and so needs a new 'fix' but there wasn't time before the update.

The devs are on record claiming it was deliberate and intentional because supposedly lots of newbies launch rockets, hit spacebar, and then don't know why nothing happens.

I think it's ridiculous because in order to know that you hit spacebar to start the first stage you'd have to have looked at the keymapping or the tutorial first. The game doesn't say anywhere else to try that. So if you've looked at those, they also mention having to hold down LSHIFT to bring the throttle up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.