[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

Sounds like the firstStart variable isn't being set to false. Two options, remove SCANSat and make a new save, or open up the save file in a text editor, search for "firstStart" and change it from True to False (though, going to the SpaceCenter might also fix that part) and also search for "TotalUpgradePoints" and set that to 15.

I will try to test without SCANSat next. I just removed KCT and reinstalled KCT again then started a new profile. This time even the KCT button didn't show up. Loaded this save. KCT button appeared but initial points are 0 and there are no upgrade points button under VAB,etc.

Will try without SCANSat now.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I removed SCANSat.

Started a new profile but still go the error loading KCT data, no KCT button.

Started a new profile again, got the error, KCT button was there and the initial points are 0.

So SCANSat doesn't seem to be the culprit?

Here's the updated log,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2m976jat_BJSHB6TjJKZXdvX0E/view?usp=sharing

Hmm. Now I'm definitely confused. I don't see anything erroring. Please turn on the KCT debug messages in the settings menu, as they might help if you upload another log later. In 32 bit windows I can't reproduce it. Starting a new save works fine for me.

I'd try modifying the save file as I outlined earlier, but otherwise I don't have any ideas :/

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask for a feature/UI change?

When I click the icon and open the initial bar, then click VAB and see my queue, notice it is a day until my craft is ready so, I click "Warp to complete" and then the window vanishes so I have to click VAB again to bring it back.

Is it possible for the window to remain when I press 'warp to'?

Fixed now in the dev versions :) Also moved KSC upgrades into Tech with tech nodes. Much, much nicer.

Hmm. Now I'm definitely confused. I don't see anything erroring. Please turn on the KCT debug messages in the settings menu, as they might help if you upload another log later. In 32 bit windows I can't reproduce it. Starting a new save works fine for me.

I'd try modifying the save file as I outlined earlier, but otherwise I don't have any ideas :/

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed now in the dev versions :) Also moved KSC upgrades into Tech with tech nodes. Much, much nicer.

That's strange. It's definitely a 64bit issue for sure but I just don't know why it works with an existing save.

Here's the new log with debug mode on:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2m976jat_BJQ1c2dWpiYktJM2s/view?usp=sharing

That's strange. It's definitely a 64bit issue for sure but I just don't know why it works with an existing save.

Here's the new log with debug mode on:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2m976jat_BJQ1c2dWpiYktJM2s/view?usp=sharing

I still can't find anything. I'll sleep on it tonight and maybe try the 64 bit hack tomorrow and try to figure out if its a mod incompatibility or a 64 bit issue. Until then, I'd try the save file editing.

I'll check it and report back in a moment. E: Which window? The main one? Or the rename window? E2: I know the reason. It's the code that keeps the window centered. I'll fix it, for at least that window. Not sure what's wrong with rollout. I'm not seeing anything there.

E3: Fixed the rename window in the latest dev version. There were two codes fighting to keep it centered and neither was happy with each other. That could happen in one or more other places as well. If you find more flickering, let me know which windows are doing it and what other KCT windows are open. Thanks :)

will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! Thank you very much. It was a small thing but it niggled me a bit. I didn't know there were dev versions either. I'll keep an eye on those.

Hello Magico13, just to follow up on the 64bit issue. I just did some test again. I removed all the mods other than KCT and yet still got the error. So it's definitely 64bit compatibility issue I think.

Unfortunately you might be right. I can't think of why there would be an issue with the 64bit version, but weirder things have happened :/

I am not sure if this is a bug or something, but when i use stage recovery and this mod to recover parts from mods they do not go in my inventory. Stock parts do, but only stock.

What parts specifically and from what mods? If the stock parts are going into the inventory when recovered by StageRecovery, then mod parts should too. They aren't treated any differently. Unless they're procedural parts, which are treated differently. Logs would possibly help, but you also haven't given me anything specific to work from.

If anyone else notices issues with parts being recovered by StageRecovery, please let me know! I'm (obviously) in a pretty good position to sort them out.

Bug Report Magico! Stable 1.1.7 starting new career save after exiting to main menu (but not exiting out of the game) from a sandbox save causes the sandbox version of KCT to show up; not the career version.

Darn, I thought I had taken care of issues like that. I'll play around with it and see what I can do. I thought everything was being sanitized properly on exit, but I guess not :/

Hi Magico, another question here. I built a rover and tested it at the base. Then I returned to space center and recovered it. As usual I got the parts refund and everything. However, I'm thinking with this mod, is it possible to "store" the undamaged vehicle or spacecraft in the hangar? Like if I use plane or rover, I still have them after the mission is over so I don't need to build them every single time.

Is that already in the KCT or did I miss anything?

Hi Magico, another question here. I built a rover and tested it at the base. Then I returned to space center and recovered it. As usual I got the parts refund and everything. However, I'm thinking with this mod, is it possible to "store" the undamaged vehicle or spacecraft in the hangar? Like if I use plane or rover, I still have them after the mission is over so I don't need to build them every single time.

Is that already in the KCT or did I miss anything?

Already exists! Open up the KCT window while landed on Kerbin, choose VAB or SPH as appropriate and then the big Recover to Storage button. Quick save first though, as the method it uses to convert a vessel to a craft has been known to have weird issues in the past.

I have narrowed it down to I believe just KW Rocketry. Dmagic Orbital science works.So the bug is this: I launch a rocket using kwrocketry parts, it builds them fine. No problem. But when I recover at the end, I do not get any of those parts back. Stock parts, they get added to my inventory as they are supposed to. Hope you can find a fix and thank you for reading!

Edit: Here is the log on a second world I created to test if it was just the save. I got to the kwrocketry parts and it did not recover again. Hope this helps!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pco7dibc3jfcz7o/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by treeninja1999

I have narrowed it down to I believe just KW Rocketry. Dmagic Orbital science works.So the bug is this: I launch a rocket using kwrocketry parts, it builds them fine. No problem. But when I recover at the end, I do not get any of those parts back. Stock parts, they get added to my inventory as they are supposed to. Hope you can find a fix and thank you for reading!

It sounds like a configuration issue in KW Rocketry. Try recovering a part that isn't a fuel tank or an engine. They're likely still using the old propulsion category for fuel tanks and engines, which hasn't existed since 0.25. If you look in the save file you'll likely see them listed in the storage. They just don't show up in the GUI because it doesn't have the deprecated Propulsion category.

Is there a way to set science research to non-simultaneous? So that I have to pick which tech node I want to work on, and the others are queued?

Unfortunately, not right now. I should add a way to do that through the KCT_Formula.cfg since a few other people have asked for it. In the meantime, you can just unlock them one at a time if you really want.

Loving this mod, makes hard career mode much more sane. I do have 2 requests though. First one is on simulations where it will be in orbit around another body, have the option to choose a delay move time. The 5 seconds just isn't long enough to configure antennas(RT2). The other one is on the move, all of my active antennas that are weak, eg DTS and CTs are destroyed by atmospheric forces in the move. Don't know if you can do anything about the latter, but 20-30 seconds of delay to configure antennas would be nice.

It has been almost 6 months now since there was any discussion about procedural parts (PP) and I just had a brainstorm. If every part costs a set amount of "build points" why not recover PP as build points.

After recovery you would have x amount of different build points for tanks, SRBs, battery and if you make a new part then the amount of build points is reduced from that type of PP.

I know it is not the most realistic implementation of this mod but when I reflect upon my own build style with recoverable subassemblies then it makes sense. After all (at least for me) the purpose of PP is to reduce RAM usage by deleting all other tanks and SRBs.

Your thoughts?

Loving this mod, makes hard career mode much more sane. I do have 2 requests though. First one is on simulations where it will be in orbit around another body, have the option to choose a delay move time. The 5 seconds just isn't long enough to configure antennas(RT2). The other one is on the move, all of my active antennas that are weak, eg DTS and CTs are destroyed by atmospheric forces in the move. Don't know if you can do anything about the latter, but 20-30 seconds of delay to configure antennas would be nice.

I can add that as an option, but it'll still probably cause issues with the extended antenna. What I really want to do is add the ability to turn RemoteTech signal requirements on and off in a simulation. Then you can do stuff around Eeloo without worrying about signal, or can try manually landing your lander, or can just extend your antenna manually once the orbit has been set. I've looked into the API a bit, but haven't discovered any easy way of doing it. Might just ignore the API all together and make changes on the actual RemoteTech instance loaded into the game.

It has been almost 6 months now since there was any discussion about procedural parts (PP) and I just had a brainstorm. If every part costs a set amount of "build points" why not recover PP as build points.

After recovery you would have x amount of different build points for tanks, SRBs, battery and if you make a new part then the amount of build points is reduced from that type of PP.

I know it is not the most realistic implementation of this mod but when I reflect upon my own build style with recoverable subassemblies then it makes sense. After all (at least for me) the purpose of PP is to reduce RAM usage by deleting all other tanks and SRBs.

Your thoughts?

That's not too far from how it's implemented now actually. Build Points aren't set per part directly. They're dependent on whether the part is in the inventory, how many times it's been used in a build, and an interaction of several settings. What is constant, at least in default KCT, is that the BP is based on the cost of the part. So PP are broken up by cost. 1 funds of a procedural part is 100 "parts" in the inventory. So when you recover something worth 1000 funds, you get 100,000 "parts" for that specific procedural part. When you build something that costs 500 funds, 50,000 parts are taken out to build it. If you build something worth 1500 funds then the whole 100,000 parts are taken out (and are built quickly) but 50,000 isn't covered by the inventory and you pay full build times for them.

Because procedural parts are extremely flexible (and, from a roleplay standpoint they require retooling and rebuilding each time), they're only 1/3 as effective as normal parts (they only get 1/3 of the InventoryEffect, or they get 1/10 and after the square root it becomes 1/3 less time. I don't recall off hand). But that's still a pretty huge reduction in time. And they get the BuildEffect applied normally to them (which is nice because they'll be used in almost every build).

The formula that controls how Procedural Part BP values are calculated is actually one of the ones exposed for editing. You can't change how Procedural Parts are added/removed from the inventory, but you can change how their BPs are calculated if you want to make them stronger/weaker compared to normal parts, and if you want them to be mass based or cost based (but the inventory is cost based always).

Once again, I'm writing just to add a note of praise, not to flag a bug.

One of many interesting parts of this mod is how it affects transfer windows. I learned the hard way to complete my Duna vessels well before the window opens. But even doing that, you'll only get off a small handful of launches, because launchpad reconditioning takes time too. So for my next window, I'm thinking about smaller vessels (since the launchpad recovers more quickly from their launches, I think). Anyway, I like this added constraint on our space program. Newcomers to KCT, though, should start planning their transfers well in advance!

Once again, I'm writing just to add a note of praise, not to flag a bug.

One of many interesting parts of this mod is how it affects transfer windows. I learned the hard way to complete my Duna vessels well before the window opens. But even doing that, you'll only get off a small handful of launches, because launchpad reconditioning takes time too. So for my next window, I'm thinking about smaller vessels (since the launchpad recovers more quickly from their launches, I think). Anyway, I like this added constraint on our space program. Newcomers to KCT, though, should start planning their transfers well in advance!

Reconditioning is directly related to vessel mass (but does max out at some point), so using the smallest launcher necessary does result in a smaller amount of reconditioning time :) I'm glad you're having fun with time constraints and are enjoying the extra planning required! I find myself freaking out when a transfer is coming up in 200 days but I have other missions I need to complete before I can afford to launch for the transfer (because if those go wrong I might not have time to send a rescue and build the ship for the IP mission). And once I get the needed funds, I build the ship well in advance so I can make edits if necessary (I'll even run another simulation or two, just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything).

In stock KSP, by 200 days you've already completed the tech tree, have millions of funds, and have walked on every inch of Mun and Minmus. With KCT in 200 days I've made it to space twice :P I'm glad that others actually find that fun, and it's not just me :D

Also, you gave me the last Rep I needed to get a Light Green bar :D

Woo, glad I could help with the light green bar!

Yep, I love the time scale with your mod. I didn't land on the Mun until the end of year 1. Didn't get space stations up around Mun and Minmus until year two. First two launches toward Duna in year 3. I'm at the end of year three and I still haven't flown by Duna yet! I have two vessels on the way, but the rest missed the most recent window. I've got a stack of Duna vessels sitting in storage, waiting for the next window. I'll put a couple into LKO when I get a chance, but so many other vessels compete for launchpad time: rescues, station-resupplies, Minmus outpost, etc. I'm loving it!

Another "thanks for the mod", with the story of my first kerbal death due to KCT+life support.

It started with a rescue contract. I pretend that those are time-sensitive even though TAC doesn't start the clock until you get close.

Had a few rescue ships in storage on Kerbin, but about a week to go on the launch pad after sending a space station to Minmus. So I launch my experimental rocket plane, which I designed with two seats for just such an emergency. Reach orbit, retrieve the subject, and discover that the rocket plane is not cleared to re-enter (spaceplane descent turns out to be really bad for memory leaks on 0.24.2 with my graphics settings). So now it's two kerbals to rescue.

The launch pad work completes before the erstwhile rescue plane runs out of life support, so I send up a standard single-seat rescue ship. The first kerbal to EVA transfer takes the standard six kerbal-hours of life support with him, even though he's only going to be in space for five minutes. (TAC could use a way to give some of that back if supplies are tight and I know the EVA isn't going to use it.)

When the launch pad is ready to launch the second rescue ship, the remaining kerbal is out of supplies but alive. I have about four hours to rendezvous. If I had waited on the ground for a good phase angle, I might have made it. But I launched immediately and ended up needing about six orbits to rendezvous. The kerbal flatlined just as the rescue ship came within physics distance.

RIP Lodwise Kerman. Your sacrifice kept Merbro alive long enough that I could get paid for rescuing him. I'll name a Mun base after you someday.

And a hearty thank you for KCT. You brought desperation back to a mission that had gotten routine.

Have you tried RemoteTech XF? It allows you to deploy and point antennas even without a connection. Perfect for this situation.

Hmmm, the launch pad reconditioning bottleneck is interesting, but it would be nice to have an option of doing what NASA did, and build multiple launch pads. That would be a bit beyond the scope of this mod, though.

Hmmm, the launch pad reconditioning bottleneck is interesting, but it would be nice to have an option of doing what NASA did, and build multiple launch pads. That would be a bit beyond the scope of this mod, though.

Well, he's said that is something he wants to add in the future ;']