[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Just out of curiosity, where is bac9?

From the creator of the mod

This wasn't the last time we heard from him but this might still apply but don't worry he is around and our work has been officially sanctioned, so if you feel like it download the dev version and give us feedback for the final push to make it release worthy, thanks. :)

So I tried a bit of a different approach with different engines. Who doesn't need a cargo plane that goes Mach 3, but gets the fuel economy of a Hummer towing a 747?

Interestingly, this one flew well to high altitudes, up to 20,000m. Got as fast as Mach 3 before starting to overheat. Leaving the engines full throttle causes them to VERY abruptly overheat and explode. I would have expected it to be more gradual.

One other odd thing I saw with this setup, and maybe it's the variable intake geometry of the RBM's, but at some altitude/speed, it would keep speeding up and up despite lowering the throttle a lot. Then it would go that speed for quite some ways. Then it would slow down and down, to subsonic speeds even with higher throttle applied. So again, maybe some odd coupling of stock aero with part configurations? Awesome plane, though, if you fly it 'till it 'splodes.

On6vUR2.jpg

One other odd thing I saw with this setup, and maybe it's the variable intake geometry of the RBM's, but at some altitude/speed, it would keep speeding up and up despite lowering the throttle a lot. Then it would go that speed for quite some ways. Then it would slow down and down, to subsonic speeds even with higher throttle applied.

I've had some similar adventures but couldn't say it was B9-based parts or not, for sure. I just thought it was me, sucking at spaceplanes now in 1.04. In .90 or 1.02, you could lob just about anything into space. I appreciate the challenge, but it sure is daunting to find all my old planes are now useless. And most of my new ones, too! I've watched Scott Manley's video and all that, but still have considerable trouble getting to LKO.

The HX ship parts however are a dream still, and work pretty much how you'd think, for huge square cross-sections flying at mach whatever. Probably gonna try an HX-based plane next, just for fun and testing purposes.

Edit: The HX spaceplane flew like a dream, made it to LKO, and worked better than every other spaceplane design I've tried in 1.04. Thanks B9 crew!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by JaredTheDragon

I've had some similar adventures but couldn't say it was B9-based parts or not, for sure. I just thought it was me, sucking at spaceplanes now in 1.04. In .90 or 1.02, you could lob just about anything into space. I appreciate the challenge, but it sure is daunting to find all my old planes are now useless. And most of my new ones, too! I've watched Scott Manley's video and all that, but still have considerable trouble getting to LKO.

The HX ship parts however are a dream still, and work pretty much how you'd think, for huge square cross-sections flying at mach whatever. Probably gonna try an HX-based plane next, just for fun and testing purposes.

Edit: The HX spaceplane flew like a dream, made it to LKO, and worked better than every other spaceplane design I've tried in 1.04. Thanks B9 crew!

After playing with a slightly modified version of my above plane, I think it's the intakes. There seems to be some kind of unstable equilibrium where you can go quickly at altitude, as long as you make it to a certain speed at a lower altitude. If you slow down at the higher altitude, you and your thrust drop, I think. I didn't do a detailed check of the thrust values, but I'm going to make an educated guess that it's the intakes switching between the subsonic and supersonic modes. If I can get it to supersonic mode, I can head up to 20,000m and cruise along at a comfortable Mach 2.35. Much faster than that and my plane burns up, but that giant tub of bolts WILL go faster.

I'm using a combo of RBM and DSIX intakes in the new design. I guess my observation is that they seem to have an abrupt change of thrust when going between modes at the given intake velocity, rather than being able to smoothly ascend and accelerate. Not sure if this is a (minor) complaint, or if the intakes are supposed to work this way? Anyway, I can fly the plane, it's just a bit more of a challenge piloting the thing.

After playing with a slightly modified version of my above plane, I think it's the intakes. There seems to be some kind of unstable equilibrium where you can go quickly at altitude, as long as you make it to a certain speed at a lower altitude. If you slow down at the higher altitude, you and your thrust drop, I think.

That would also explain (partly) why the HX plane flew so easily and readily. No intakes at all, since no jets. Sure, it's ridiculous and I tweakscaled all the parts down one notch, but with no air intake variations it certainly made for a more predictable flight. I generally use the same intakes you do, and my planes are otherwise rather unpredictable. Very challenging.

@barfing_skull, JaredTheDragon: It's possible that the intakes need custom drag cubes. But that's a pain to do properly so it'll have to wait for now.

No worries, but I think I'll test them against stock intakes more empirically and see if we can isolate it further. I'm not blaming my crappy spaceplane builds on you guys and hope you don't feel that way. And I'm kinda impressed my HX plane actually orbits faster and better than any of my others in 1.04. #HXLyfeYo

(no, I don't really talk that way or hashtag stuff in real life)

i dont know where to get it from

Trem, click the B9 Maintenance Port link at the bottom of Blowfish's posts. Then click Downloads on the left. Then click Download Repository. Save that file, unzip it, and copy all but the "B9_Aerospace_DEPRECATED" folder over into your Game Data folder of your active 1.04 install. After you do it the first time, it'll seem much easier.

I'm having a problem with the green HUD where it has a large black square in the center (see pic). I don't have any other mods that changes cockpit interiors, so no likely conflict there. Any idea what might cause it?IL1n1dY.png

I'm having a problem with the green HUD where it has a large black square in the center (see pic). I don't have any other mods that changes cockpit interiors, so no likely conflict there. Any idea what might cause it?

tried opengl vs directX?

Was making a VERY LARGE space ship cause that's what I like to do with B9 Aerospace...

However every time it came to liftoff it was as if the parts were not even connecting to each other. The after burners do now show, the engines have no sound, they do not spend fuel (I have cheats off) the parts with the engines connected to them will dislodge themselves (mainly on the larger parts with the bigger engines, not the smaller jet engines) from the rest of the craft. Etc, does this have to do with the mod being out of date or something else?

7ea634c1c8.png

- - -

Edited by Omnes

No worries, but I think I'll test them against stock intakes more empirically and see if we can isolate it further. I'm not blaming my crappy spaceplane builds on you guys and hope you don't feel that way. And I'm kinda impressed my HX plane actually orbits faster and better than any of my others in 1.04. #HXLyfeYo

(no, I don't really talk that way or hashtag stuff in real life)

Trem, click the B9 Maintenance Port link at the bottom of Blowfish's posts. Then click Downloads on the left. Then click Download Repository. Save that file, unzip it, and copy all but the "B9_Aerospace_DEPRECATED" folder over into your Game Data folder of your active 1.04 install. After you do it the first time, it'll seem much easier.

thank you

Was making a VERY LARGE space ship cause that's what I like to do with B9 Aerospace...

However every time it came to liftoff it was as if the parts were not even connecting to each other. The after burners do now show, the engines have no sound, they do not spend fuel (I have cheats off) the parts with the engines connected to them will dislodge themselves (mainly on the larger parts with the bigger engines, not the smaller jet engines) from the rest of the craft. Etc, does this have to do with the mod being out of date or something else?

- - -

Err of course it has? *sigh* Why would you even expect the 0.90 version to work after the massive changes 1.0 introduced? Do yourself a favor and download the b9 dev version from the link in my signature or blowfishs. You will get something that works in all critical areas, promise.

One page back. And on nearly every page for the past few months.

...click the B9 Maintenance Port link at the bottom of Blowfish's posts. Then click Downloads on the left. Then click Download Repository. Save that file, unzip it, and copy all but the "B9_Aerospace_DEPRECATED" folder over into your Game Data folder of your active 1.04 install. After you do it the first time, it'll seem much easier.

At least read a page or two back in any thread, on any site, anywhere, for any topic. If we spend a post every single page regurgitating this information, it gets tedious. These guys are doing a ton of work on B9 and we can at least do the legwork of reading a few posts instead of bombarding them with the same question each day. The reason it isn't posted on OP is because it's still in development, and the kind folks developing it are hoping to avoid old bug reports by not posting it there. The development is going great, by the way.

A little question. Actually the HL cockpit has a weight double than the stock MK3. Is this intended or some rebalance is needed?

It hasn't been looked at yet. On the to-do list...