[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Thank you, have it installed and running and looking forward to using it again. However I have noticed that the NAVball doesnt show up in the RPM screens in the cockpit, all other screens appear to function.

That S2 cockpit is my favourite cockpit. Thanks for all the hard work.

The HX parts seem to be working great! Still a lot more of a struggle than it used to be, but I've got 'em sized down a click for fun lately. Perhaps that's an additional challenge, although the TWRs seem to be scaling fine.

Edited by JaredTheDragon

There are some 1.0.3-1.0.4 era changes we haven't implemented yet, but everything should be mostly functional under FAR.

Wait, will B9 in the next release support stock aerodynamics? The 1.0.4 stock are "good enough" for me to play as a game - I'm not wanting a simulator (so no loading a complex mod like FAR to compete with my visualization addons, :sticktongue:), just enough flying physics, nice graphics, and some cool parts to make neat looking crafts.

Wait, will B9 in the next release support stock aerodynamics? The 1.0.4 stock are "good enough" for me to play as a game - I'm not wanting a simulator (so no loading a complex mod like FAR to compete with my visualization addons, :sticktongue:), just enough flying physics, nice graphics, and some cool parts to make neat looking crafts.

Yep. It takes more time to balace parts for stock usage, but it has been worked on. For FAR it is more-less easier to update parts.

Wait, will B9 in the next release support stock aerodynamics?

It's not so much a mod supporting stock aero, it's more about stock aero supporting a mod - now the drag and lift model isn't stupid and works (almost) like it should, it'll now affect B9 parts in the way they should be affected. You'll still want FAR for a more realistic experience, but stock aero should support it just fine.

There seems to be a problem with the way the mod modifies the stock speed curves (something wrong with the configs, maybe?) - the "Whiplash" turboramjet, for example, has a max thrust of around 23000 kilonewtons. The same happens with all jet engines (both stock and B9). All of them have ridiculous max thrust values.

I put two turboramjets on a plane and it went so fast that every single part on the plane overheated and exploded just seconds after I put the pedal to the metal. I was able to achieve a maximum acceleration of 45 gees with heat damage turned off. It was hilarious, but I don't think it's supposed to work like that.

As with real jets, you're often limited by engine heating rather than thrust/drag, and the ram effect drives more thrust at higher speeds if you can manage it. The SR-71 could have exceeded Mach 3.3 easily but would have melted the engine compressor. If remembering to throttle the engines at speed is too much, I can add some artificial falloff back into the engine curves.

A minor thing I just noticed (and I may be a build or two back in my downloads from Github).

The .version file is still set to KSP v0.25 and so I get a warning message.

I know that some mods have this file set to allow a range of KSP versions without warnings, and it is only a warning, but don't forget it as you get close to a release.

A minor thing I just noticed (and I may be a build or two back in my downloads from Github).

The .version file is still set to KSP v0.25 and so I get a warning message.

I know that some mods have this file set to allow a range of KSP versions without warnings, and it is only a warning, but don't forget it as you get close to a release.

Noted and fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

To anyone who reported that the gimbals weren't working - I figured out the cause - the DLL wasn't included in the repository. It is fixed now.

I found a bug... maybe.

Whenever I stack (side by side, i.e., increase the wing span) those "square" wing parts (I think it's 1x4, 2x4 and 4x4) with a fixed wing trail (is this the name? I mean those control surfaces that "don't work") on more than one wing, a mystical yaw force appears and spins the craft to distruction, on the very first second of the launch. It doesn't matter if they're right next to each other or separated by one or more wing pieces. It also doesn't matter if the pieces are angled or not.

I know that by text it might be hard to explain, so I'll try to make a small video of it, asap.

On another topic, not sure if this has been asked already, but: will there be any cargo bays that can be turned upside down without getting the back belly on top? Basically, will we be able to trun pieces around like in the Mk2 fuselage, without having color problems?

I found a bug... maybe.

Whenever I stack (side by side, i.e., increase the wing span) those "square" wing parts (I think it's 1x4, 2x4 and 4x4) with a fixed wing trail (is this the name? I mean those control surfaces that "don't work") on more than one wing, a mystical yaw force appears and spins the craft to distruction, on the very first second of the launch. It doesn't matter if they're right next to each other or separated by one or more wing pieces. It also doesn't matter if the pieces are angled or not.

I know that by text it might be hard to explain, so I'll try to make a small video of it, asap.

A screenshot of the craft at least would be helpful. Also, have you narrowed it down to this exact combination of parts? As in, it only happens with this exact combination of wing pieces (but any fuselage)?

- - - Updated - - -

On another topic, not sure if this has been asked already, but: will there be any cargo bays that can be turned upside down without getting the back belly on top? Basically, will we be able to trun pieces around like in the Mk2 fuselage, without having color problems?

bac9's updated mk2 fuselage conforms to the new, symmetric mk2 shape and is thus reversible. He posted a test pack some pages back.

Im trying to make a singlestage spaceplane with 2 sabre S engines with 1 small precooler and 1 small sabre intake each. My engine to twr is accoridng to engineer redux 0.62. I get up to around 15000m and then the thrust gets to little in airbreathing mode to keep upwards flight at any inclination. In 0.90 I could usualy get a lot higher before I needed to switch mode. What am I doing wrong? Im using FAR(latest version) and what was yesterday the latest b9 dev release from blowfish's signature

Tnx

Espen

This isnt a question thread. Shoot your questions over to the gameplay help section.

This isnt a question thread. Shoot your questions over to the gameplay help section.

Ehh, I think it's fine to answer here. The reason is that thrust now falls off with atmospheric density, which it did not in 0.90. Thrust also increases with speed though, so you really just need to go faster to go higher.

I will add that the way I have it set up right now, thrust falls off faster than in stock - in B9 it's linear with density whereas in stock it doesn't fall off that fast.

A screenshot of the craft at least would be helpful.

Better yet...

https://youtu.be/HPyN3JYPEgc

Also, have you narrowed it down to this exact combination of parts? As in, it only happens with this exact combination of wing pieces (but any fuselage)?

I've tried with S2 fuselage, samething happened. I've also tried with smaller wing pieces, samething happened.

Btw, no other mods installed, except for KW Rocketry.

edit: how do I put youtube videos here?

Edited by PCanas

Better yet...

I've tried with S2 fuselage, samething happened. I've also tried with smaller wing pieces, samething happened.

edit: how do I put youtube videos here?

That is weird! I'm curious to see the outcome on this one. And to post a video just press the button that looks like a film strip at the top right of the text window. A pop up will present itself, paste the URL for the video, hit "Ok" and boom. Imbedded video as long as it is allowed by the thread.

Edited by V8jester

Better yet...

Hmm ... I can't seem to replicate this, and I can't imagine what might be the cause. My guess is that it has something to do with some small perturbation and sudden physics forces (Kraken attack), in which case there's nothing we can do about it. If you actually intend to use a design like this, try again with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, which dials up the physics forces gradually rather than applying them all at once.

I second KJR, that and the stockbugfix joint reinforcement. I usually make multiple saves when designing a craft, multiple revisions, and each test path gets its own set of saves. This is the reason why, sometimes you find out later in construction that something doesnt load properly, sometimes you have to go way far back to find that one strut or something that throws it out of alignment down the road. It almost seems that the craft is pivoting on the launch clamp, have you tried loading it in the vab, sometimes copying the craft file and loading it in the vab, then saving and moving it back to the hanger fixes that.... no idea why.

Hmm ... I can't seem to replicate this, and I can't imagine what might be the cause. My guess is that it has something to do with some small perturbation and sudden physics forces (Kraken attack), in which case there's nothing we can do about it. If you actually intend to use a design like this, try again with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, which dials up the physics forces gradually rather than applying them all at once.

Will try...

I second KJR, that and the stockbugfix joint reinforcement. I usually make multiple saves when designing a craft, multiple revisions, and each test path gets its own set of saves. This is the reason why, sometimes you find out later in construction that something doesnt load properly, sometimes you have to go way far back to find that one strut or something that throws it out of alignment down the road. It almost seems that the craft is pivoting on the launch clamp, have you tried loading it in the vab, sometimes copying the craft file and loading it in the vab, then saving and moving it back to the hanger fixes that.... no idea why.

I think the force is applied in such way that the craft spin axis goes right through the CoM, which is where the clamp is placed. I noticed the bug for the first time when launching the craft, on wheels, and direction and point of application looked exactly the same.

I have not tried to load it in the VAB.

KJR and StockBugFix, right?