[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

There is an adapter for HL to 3.75m.... There is a mk2 to 2.5m

I'm not so keen on adapters between the different fuselage systems, planes that mix fuselage parts like that just look weird, like ferrari front-end has been bolted to a ford transit rear end, it doesn't work.

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot about the mk2<->2.5m one. But I still can't seem to find the adapter for HL and 3.75m :huh:

About the weird looking part: I just added an HL cockpit to the S2 widebody system. I think it looks better for a spaceship of this size. That's why I need this adapter for. In general, yes, the different systems often don't fit well together. But once in a while, another fuselage system has just the part you need to complete your work. :P

Hey all, how do I select the different configurations, or subparts, for each main part? I just looked through almost all 76 pages of this thread (very time consuming...) and haven't found any one who had similar problems. Basically, I right-click on the part, nothing happens. The mods I have are: this new B9 update, MechJeb, Environmental Effects, Rollkage, and MagicSmokeIndustries. Thanks!

PS-I did find something about removig RPM but it wasn't clear on whether that would help or not.

PPS-A solid solution to this problem and proper instructions for selecting subparts should be in the first post with the announcement, just saying... :)

Just thought I'd share my experience with upgrading my career from the previous version of B9 to this one.

I only had one issue, and that was that existing craft (VAB and in-flight) missing the old one-nozzle RCS part called R1T, now presumably being merged into one part, the R1. Doing a batch search-and-replace in all files in my career save folder replacing B9.Control.RCS.Port.R1T with B9.Control.RCS.Port.R1 (note the missing T at the end) worked for me.

It goes without saying you should do a backup before doing this...

Edited by LostOblivion

PPS-A solid solution to this problem and proper instructions for selecting subparts should be in the first post with the announcement, just saying... :)

Shouldn't be necessary - a correct installation of B9 will ensure it works. You need to have Firespitter installed (I think the latest version) which allows you to select the tank setup via the parts right click menu in the editors.

B9 is a pretty mod, but i have some sort of wishlist:

-drone cores for all fuselage systems (mk2, s2, HL)

-protective caps for them

-i think that it is great idea to make fuselage system out of m2 cargo hold separator

-more HW21 wing variants

-larger wing, larger than HW21 (because with all this pretty parts it is very tempting to build HUGE spacecraft)

-some sort of radial extension to HL fuselage to attach Sabre M engines

-erm...well... larger Sabre engines

P.S. - and moar SRBs

I don't want to tie it to the lights action group, if you turn on the interior lights in the dark it's actually quite hard to see out the windows due to the subtle reflections becoming a lot more pronounced compared to the darkness outside, it's a realistic and atmospheric addition I like, in the dark you have 2 options, turn on the interior lights to see inside better or turn them off and rely on the backlit instruments and buttons to see what you're doing inside while no reflections on the windows and better night visions gives you better outside visibility, too bad KSP doesn't have HDR/dynamic exposure or similar to mimic night vision etc.

I want to give people the choice of having them separate, but yeah I'd like to tie em to the external emissive and the external emissive to the interior lights, I can do it it's just a lot of unity wrestling needed, I need a mini-vacation after that 5.0 release push and post release fixes.

My idea wasn't necessarily to make the interior lights turn on when the user turns on all the craft's lights, but I do see the problem with the pilot turning on the exterior lights and not wanting to cockpit lights on at the same time. It's looking like you'll either need to make a new prop for each pod, or redo the model's animation names to all be the same. I would just suggest avoiding the "toggle" function in case the user has the emissive tied into the ship lights, in which case turning on the cockpit internal lighting would turn off the emissive and screw things up. The prop will have to specifically specify whether or not it's "turning off" or "turning on" for continuity.

So I installed the newest version of Firespitter and still cant change the subparts. Even did a clean install with only B9-R5 and Firespitter. Starting to give up on this mod. Its looks amazing and I know huge amounts of work was put into it, but if the most basic functions dont work then its kaput in my book.

So I installed the newest version of Firespitter and still cant change the subparts. [...] if the most basic functions dont work then its kaput in my book.

In other words, "Doctor, my chest hurts! No, you don't need to examine me or have my medical records, just tell me what's wrong and what to do"

In other other words, please read the How To Get Support thread.

In other words, "Doctor, my chest hurts! No, you don't need to examine me or have my medical records, just tell me what's wrong and what to do"

In other other words, please read the How To Get Support thread.

I did read that post man and still nothing. All I'm saying is, I've installed it in every way suggested that should have made it work. Let me ask you then- did you have the same problem, and if so what steps did you take to fix it? (So by your doctor quip, I am trying to examine the problem and diagnose it)

Wow, just wow, had no idea this was even possible:

Was testing this airplane design:

http://i.imgur.com/fWxITEyl.png

Not happy with the wings, they're too small but adding another set of 4x4 wings to it makes them too large imo, man I wish pWings weren't so far up the tree...

Might notice I "forgot" the airbrakes, well I didn't truly expect the design to get into space with that little wing, but it did, I dropped my test payload in orbit and burned retrograde to get back to KSC.

Problem was that no airbrakes and that little wing meant I couldn't really slow down in any appreciable sense of the word, and well, I play with FAR and DRE:

http://i.imgur.com/LS3XRC1l.png

DRE removed all the wings, but the main stack of the plane survived, including the rocket engine on the back, as a last ditch effort since I was already going crazy fast (2400m/s~) and I had about 1/4 of my LF+Oxi left I fired up the rocket engine and pitched back with it's small gimbal range, it was enough, hit 550km Ap at 15km~ altitude, dropped to 400km~ by the time I got out of the atmosphere, had enough fuel to burn prograde at Ap enough to get into 400/100 orbit.

I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere, if you're going way too fast, it's better to accelerate than slow down.

Next version will have larger wings and airbrakes >_> Jeb insisted on it.

Sometimes the best solution is to not come in during the first pass. Just aerobrake in the atmosphere and let it bring down your apoapsis gradually. Then after two or three tries you should have safe re-entry. You may end up flying 500km or more to the runway but you'll get there safely if you do that.

I did read that post man and still nothing. All I'm saying is, I've installed it in every way suggested that should have made it work. Let me ask you then- did you have the same problem, and if so what steps did you take to fix it? (So by your doctor quip, I am trying to examine the problem and diagnose it)

Clearly you didn't read the post because you still haven't uploaded the output_log.txt or given your list of installed mods.

No, I did not have this problem, sorry. I installed B9 by dragging across all the folders under the zips Gamedata folder (bar ResGen and VK because I don't use them) and dropping them into my Gamedata. It worked absolutely fine first go.

Our part list is already larger than stock, adding more at this point without a very good reason is hard to justify.

It's pretty easy to hide a small probe core somewhere inside a B9 craft, if you don't want to rely on part-clipping put it inside a cargo bay or similar, all fuselage systems have torque wheels.

-protective caps for them
Can put a tail on backwards to act as a nose-cone.
-i think that it is great idea to make fuselage system out of m2 cargo hold separator
there are adapters between m2 and 2.5m and S2, doesn't need a full set of parts.
-more HW21 wing variants

-larger wing, larger than HW21 (because with all this pretty parts it is very tempting to build HUGE spacecraft)

Hmm, some re-scales of the HW21 could make some sense, though if you don't already get pWings, lets you make your wings as large and complicated as you want, comes with B9 styled wings.

-some sort of radial extension to HL fuselage to attach Sabre M engines

You can make that various ways including the HL 1m extensions and add adapter pieces to make it 2m that doesn't clip into the fuselage.

-erm...well... larger Sabre engines
Planned.
So I installed the newest version of Firespitter and still cant change the subparts. Even did a clean install with only B9-R5 and Firespitter. Starting to give up on this mod. Its looks amazing and I know huge amounts of work was put into it, but if the most basic functions dont work then its kaput in my book.

B9 R5 includes firespitter, why are you installing it? Do you want the parts from it? Install it first, let B9 overwrite the .dll, I'll bet you're installing an old version of FS.

Edited by K3|Chris

I tried searching the thread to see if anyone had brought it up yet, im sure someone has, but search failed me and its 4 AM, so here goes:

Yes, i am running FAR!

Bug #1: the S2 narrow to wide-body adapter with air scoops simply acts as a major drag source and provides no intake air, planes cant even get past 50-60 m/s on the runway with it included.

Bug #2: Most of the S2 wide-body parts have their CoL WAY off to the right if you try to attach wings to the sides instead of the very bottom. Ferram said it was most likely a collider issue with the models in his FAR thread.

Again, I apologize if this has already been brought up by someone. I just thought i would err on the side of caution and speak up in case it hasn't! B9 + FAR + PWings = the only way to play the game as far as im concerned. i need you guys at your best!

After trying a few designs, the only thing I'm really wishing for is variable length for landing gears. There's probably some reason why they don't exist yet, but it can't hurt to ask. It'd be great to be able to get good landing gear placement and the ideal angle of attack at the same time.

Oh, and a short Mk2 to Mk1 adapter, like the short bicoupler. For those times when one engine is enough.

Bug #1: the S2 narrow to wide-body adapter with air scoops simply acts as a major drag source and provides no intake air, planes cant even get past 50-60 m/s on the runway with it included.

Confirming this, just for the record. With FAR, it doesn't provide any intake air, despite being an intake I can interact with. I was looking at the config and it could be an issue with its NEEDS or something, but I don't know.

vZGMmEJ.jpg

Also, minor niggle, but the different textures on the S2W parts bothers me. It's on the S2 tail as well, looks like manure when used with other S2 parts.

This is the primary reason that I use MechJeb... the AR202 case can be surface attached almost anywhere and acts as a probe core (just make sure you still use "Control from here" on the cockpit otherwise your ship can get some really weird ideas of up and down...)

Also, since it's so small it easily fits inside of a cargo bay or even on the surface of your ship (surface attachment not suggested if using DRE!!!)

Confirming this, just for the record. With FAR, it doesn't provide any intake air, despite being an intake I can interact with. I was looking at the config and it could be an issue with its NEEDS or something, but I don't know.

http://i.imgur.com/vZGMmEJ.jpg

Also, minor niggle, but the different textures on the S2W parts bothers me. It's on the S2 tail as well, looks like manure when used with other S2 parts.

How about your center of lift? try attaching a wing in, 2x symmetry, to the side of the cargo bay and see if your CoL is offset to the right. I just want someone to confirm if it is or isnt related to B9 or if its something else causing the issue.

http://i.imgur.com/vZGMmEJ.jpg

Its fixed already in the development branch.

Dev branch of FAR or B9? I've had to switch to dev FAR, I got that bug where the UI started to flash if a vessel left physics range, make visiting stations pretty annoying.

Hey, how's the development of the HX bridge going? Can you give screens or info? Have you anything for me? Just a little teaser? I NEED MY FIX!!!! INSTANTLY!!!!! PLEASE help me...

Sorry I'm just one guy, currently working on the S3 (pretty sure Tav would murder me if I didn't get it done soon) the HX is next in line.

Edited by K3|Chris

i come back from summer dreading having to update my mods and guess what just blows my computer up?

NOT B9! xD

no i tried running planatary alliation on my computer and it almost melted.

in other not so unrelated news this mod is uirbhgfundkngbneimjfjbufneibngubejfpinounpi* awesome

*(this is just me spazing out and drooling on my keyboard at the graphics. i'm using texture magnegment and yet it still comes off looking HD)

gj bac and keep up the damn good work