[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Presuming I install NEAR (something I'll most likely be doing in the coming days), will that make building spaceplanes possible again, instead of watching them huff and puff their way to 5km before holding altitude?

One of the major changes for FAR and NEAR is the fact that the default Soup Atmosphere is thinned out to something resembling real air. you should find it much easier to get to orbit using spaceplanes

With ATM the first time you try to load the game it can take ~15 minutes and possibly more, don't worry, it's just compressing the images. That just takes some time.

No, I know that. It sat at a white screen for a bit. I knew that would happen. But after that, it started to load like normal, until it got to the end of the progress bar and wouldn't go any further. So ATM didn't do anything to change the issue.

Thanks for trying to help though.

It is balanced. Most parts get unlocked progressively as the stock tree goes. You will not get SABREs at the 150 research points line in the tree. You get some turbojets for low altitude flights and contracts(in case you are using Fine print), some lower ISP high-altitude jets, etc. Overall the progression is completely balanced to stock in my opinion.

Is this balanced for career mode, and if so, are there any parts to unlock earlier on or is it all late game stuff? Thanks.

Yes it is and yes there are lots of unlocks consistent with stock (like plane parts).

Hello guys. Thanks for your amazing work. I have a little question: can you add a smaller structures than HX1? Like with size of Structural Panel Adaptor?

I was looking for smaller structural hub for Structural Panel Adaptor, but there nowhere to find part with similar size.

hello everyone. im attempting to reach orbit using air intake version vtol for the run up with a pair of sabre s for the final leg. my problem is the air intake version of the vtol engines seem to be winding down with high airflow and low altitude im getting almost half the thrust i should be getting at 10km. this is with intake spam mind you. im not sure if this is a bug as ive tried this with stock and near or if the engines are not meant to be useable above 10km. in which case i would like to request again a hybrid fuel vtol engine.

yea that sounds about right, so theres no VTOL with high mach support

ok this is messed up, im getting no thrust on my sabres now with plenty of fuel and mode to closed. i literally can not throttle them up, its behaving like its in intake mode

eIlyb8u.jpg

Edited by endl

Hello, I have been trying to get this space place from world war K to work, but these parts seem to be missing:

28vrg5i.jpg

It was released in march, is there a older version of B9 I could use? Or can you safely delete the offending parts in the .craft file?

Hello, I have been trying to get this space place from world war K to work, but these parts seem to be missing:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/28vrg5i.jpg

It was released in march, is there a older version of B9 I could use? Or can you safely delete the offending parts in the .craft file?

March would be prior to the 5.0 release. those are probably 4.0 parts that have been deprecated. Landing Gear, Green lights and Enclosed spotlights. should be safe to delete the old versions and add new ones.

One of the major changes for FAR and NEAR is the fact that the default Soup Atmosphere is thinned out to something resembling real air. you should find it much easier to get to orbit using spaceplanes

I was aware, I suppose a more to-the-point question would be if the thinner atmosphere made building spaceplanes with B9's "weaker-than-an-old-man's-farts" turbojets possible again. lol

Though I suppose I hadn't thought about another facet: parachutes. Wrong thread to ask that question, though, I think.

March would be prior to the 5.0 release. those are probably 4.0 parts that have been deprecated. Landing Gear, Green lights and Enclosed spotlights. should be safe to delete the old versions and add new ones.

Problem is I want to load up a specific ship, because those parts don't exist anymore, the file errors out and I can't get that specific ship I want to play as to load.

I was aware, I suppose a more to-the-point question would be if the thinner atmosphere made building spaceplanes with B9's "weaker-than-an-old-man's-farts" turbojets possible again. lol

Though I suppose I hadn't thought about another facet: parachutes. Wrong thread to ask that question, though, I think.

i think you have the causaility backwards. B9's turbos are scaled correctly based on real jets in real air. they look weak to you because you are attempting to drive through pudding. install Near (or better, FAR with aerodynamic failures turned off from the space center FAR menu in the top right corner) and you'll be much happier with B9 performance. Take care, however, as the skills you have refined in submarine navigation will probably not serve you well with real-ish aircraft.

install Near (or better, FAR with aerodynamic failures turned off from the space center FAR menu in the top right corner)

Any huge differences between the two, if aerodynamic vehicle-shredding is disabled? I seem to recall something with high-Mach-value drag. Most likely going to go with NEAR as a starter either way, at least for now. (Also probably a bit lighter on the processor, I'd imagine.)

Any huge differences between the two, if aerodynamic vehicle-shredding is disabled? I seem to recall something with high-Mach-value drag. Most likely going to go with NEAR as a starter either way, at least for now. (Also probably a bit lighter on the processor, I'd imagine.)

NEAR is closer to the stock behavior, and lets you do maneuvers that would make a real aircraft fall out of the sky. FAR has a complex aerodynamic modeling system, meaning you need to plan your aircraft around real aerodynamic principles and check it with the simulations before launching anything. turning off aerodynamic disassembly removes those awkward "where did my tailfin go?" moments while keeping the aerodynamic model mostly real.

in short, FAR is a hard-core flight simulator, FAR with aerodynamic failures off is a fighter simulation game, NEAR is a casual flight simulator, and Stock is a jetfighter arcade cabinet with a terrible drag model, a terrible lift model, and brute force balancing by super-charging the engines. Squad makes a space rocket game, no one said they were any good at airplanes.

Problem is I want to load up a specific ship, because those parts don't exist anymore, the file errors out and I can't get that specific ship I want to play as to load.

Install the depreciated pack and it should work.

NEAR ... lets you do maneuvers that would make a real aircraft fall out of the sky.

That's all that matters.

Luckily, I'm pretty sure Squad have stated that more realistic aerodynamics are a planned future feature (plane parts being a ways down the tech tree seemingly reinforcing that, if such aerodynamics aren't for beginners), so I'm normally willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. For now, though, sounds like NEAR is a good starting option.

Now it's crashing when loading, it just stops at a certain point and CTDs. Can I remove the parts out of the .craft file?

It's doable, but a PITA. My advice is this: assuming that you're already running 32 bit KSP with ATM (biggest crash culprits), temporarily uninstall all mods except for B9 and B9_depreciated (and anything else the craft in question depends on). If it loads, then open the craft and migrate it over to the new B9 parts. If the game still crashes then you might have to resort to editing the file manually.

It's doable, but a PITA. My advice is this: assuming that you're already running 32 bit KSP with ATM (biggest crash culprits), temporarily uninstall all mods except for B9 and B9_depreciated (and anything else the craft in question depends on). If it loads, then open the craft and migrate it over to the new B9 parts. If the game still crashes then you might have to resort to editing the file manually.

You know what? Screw it. It would be less work to build a replica. And an unrelated question, it is said that stock engines are overpowered because the game has an unusually high drag model, or "soupy" atmosphere. Considering that, how many times "thicker" is stock kerbins air compared to real life atmosphere?