[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

Which completely unbalances the engines and removes half of the purpose of this mod ;) But rock on

It's just like my great great grandpa used to say- when something is made purposeless, it's WAY better! That's why he made the Donner Party turn around.

I was able to get a small concentration of Karborundum (like 0.11% or something) with the solar collector in a eccentric orbit near eve distance in solar orbit.

It fills up the tanks pretty fast then, i thought this would be much harder, that I would need to go down and have barbecue in Kerbol. Is this now the way it's supposed to be?

The problem w. solar collectors is they are no where near your base. A base on eve producing few hundred drills & K+ tanks should be more than plenty fuel which you can logistic hub to Eve SOI, that seems more convenient.

The use case for solar collectors is to gather a LOT of the stuff, then ship it back.

Right, but with what i said there is no need to ship it back, you mine it on Eve, you have orbital shipyards on Eve, you have logistics hub on Eve, your good to go, minus the shipping back part.

The use case for solar collectors is to gather a LOT of the stuff, then ship it back.

I thought that the solar collectors would be used in close distances near Kerbol. Result: The Excelsior 03 is on a five year mission to Neidlon.

Need some 5m part k+ drills, but still i think this beats solar collectors in every category, speed, efficiency, and difficulty.

Set up as many hotspots of something like this until your swimming in more K+ then you can spend, only costs 18,000 rocket parts too craft too, so set up up to 100 of these in your favorite Eve hotspots. 31Wv9o2.jpg

Might be interesting if there was a tiny chance of finding K+ on the new planets / biomes. Like a 1% chance per biome on Gilly or the moons of Jool. It wouldn't be guaranteed in a particular game and you'd have to SCANSat/explore to find it.

If you have a look in GameData\CommunityResourcePack\ResourceConfigs\Karborundum.cfg you can edit your K+ generation to appear anywhere you like, including based on random chance. Using the Karbonite cfg as an example, if you wanted (for example) a 1% chance for crust Karborundum resources on *all* worlds:

REGOLITH_GLOBAL_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Karborundum
ResourceType = 0

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 1
MinAbundance = .001
MaxAbundance = 0.01
Variance = 50
}
}

The "PresenceChance" field is the % chance of it being generated per crust. 1% really does mean a 1 in 100 chance though so if you use this cfg don't be surprised if it makes absolutely no difference to your save :)

If you wanted a chance of finding interplanetary K+ instead, use the following (ResourceType=3 means interplanetary, between planets):

REGOLITH_GLOBAL_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Karborundum
ResourceType = 3

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 1 // chance of generation, 1-100. 1 really means only 1/100, so you may not get any at all!
MinAbundance = .001
MaxAbundance = .5
MinAltitude = .2 // Starting altitude. 0 = Sea level (or equatorial distance), 1 = 2x equatorial radius
MaxAltitude = 2 // Ending altitude, 0 = Sea level (or equatorial distance), 1 = 2x equatorial radius
MinRange = .01 // minimum thickness of the resource band, measured as a multiplier of equatorial radius e.g. 0.01 = 0.01 x eq. radius
MaxRange = .5 // maximum thickness of resource band, again a multiplier of eq radius
}
}

Check the K+ config for the Sun an example. It generates a band just above the sun's surface, at a thickness of about 2600m.

You don't have to start a new save for changes to take effect - this will impact any existing saves you have as well as new one.

Edited by Kielm

Need some 5m part k+ drills, but still i think this beats solar collectors in every category, speed, efficiency, and difficulty.

Set up as many hotspots of something like this until your swimming in more K+ then you can spend, only costs 18,000 rocket parts too craft too, so set up up to 100 of these in your favorite Eve hotspots

Provided your computer doesn't go down to 1 frame per second even *thinking* about launching this monster :D

~M~

@RoverDude

It looks like Interplanetary resources are not being constrained by their specified altitudes (you can collect K+ from any altitude above the Sun at the moment!).

Edited by Kielm

I installed this mod but I can't find the drill lol! What could be going on?

theres a KA_Drill_Radial_04_MM.cfg entry in the parts folder but it only has like 13 lines. Is this normal?

The drill and a bunch of parts were moved to Karbonite. The MM adds the ability to drill for Karborundum to the small drill. There are more details about the changes in the change log in the first post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.