Watch the live launch of NASAs SMAP sattelite.

Majorjim!

35mins till liftoff!

WATCH IT HERE

What the F is SMAP?

NASA's Soil Moisture Active Passive, or SMAP, is a remote sensing mission designed to measure and map Earth's soil moisture distribution and freeze/thaw state with unprecedented accuracy, resolution, and coverage. Using a single satellite launched into a near-polar, low altitude orbit, SMAP's state-of-the-art radar and radiometer sensors will peer beneath clouds, vegetation, and other surface features to create global maps of these measurements every 2-3 days over a period of three years. Data from SMAP will be used in an extraordinary variety of important scientific applications and research, addressing weather forecasting and climate modeling, drought, flood and landslide predictions, agricultural productivity, and seasonal climate-related human health issues.

35mins till liftoff!

And 55 days, with the current schedule. That's some kind of press conference.

EDIT: Nvm, I was looking at an outdated source. It's probably not even going to launch this year.

Edited by Kryten

And 55 days, with the current schedule. That's some kind of press conference.

EDIT: Nvm, I was looking at an outdated source. It's probably not even going to launch this year.

No launch?

:(

EDIT,

Its a lecture, NOOOOOO

Sorry guys.

Edited by Majorjim

From globe.gov :

SMAP Satellite Launch Delayed

Sep 03, 2014

The NASA Soil Moisture Active Passive (SMAP) Mission scheduled for launch in November 2014 will be delayed and is now being scheduled for sometime between mid-December 2014 and late February 2015. NASA expects to approve a new launch date in late September. The product release to the public will still follow the plan to release Beta L1 products 6 months after launch, Beta L2-L4 product and validated L1 product 9 months after launch, and validated L2-L4 products 15 months after launch.

Oh well, I made a mad scramble to find my camera when I saw the count down on the web feed said 9:39 minutes. :D

Edited by Tommygun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.