I just wonder does any of astronaut or cosmonaut had disqualifying condition?

Pawelk198604

I just wonder does any of astronaut or cosmonaut had disqualifying condition that he/she forgot to mention to flight surgeon:D

I don't talk about current medical history but "forgot" mention something from past.

Lying is bad but sometimes you must lie to have good career like Von Braun which downplayed his involvement with Nazis.

".... Schmazi," says Wernher von Braun" :D

I do not think Werner von Braun downplayed anything. It was exactly his extensive involvement that made him interesting to the US and that is what secured safe passage and the transition between sides. On whether he was right to do what he did I will not comment, it is all too easy to be of the highest moral character when you are safe, fed and taken care of.

Doubtful. The consequences of an undisclosed disqualifying condition could be fatal, and I believe they still have to pass rigorous physicals. Though the standards have likely come way down, no way John Glenn at 77 was as fit as he was during his Mercury days.

I just wonder if some astronaut hide his past, and become famous by landing on Mars for example, and later he was exposed that he lied about his health.

Yet no ones strip such persons honors and barging rights as ease can be do with Olympian who taken steroids drugs during Olympic :D

You are making strange connections here. Lying about your condition hoping that the physical won't bring it up and taking performance enhancing drugs for a sport competition is, well, interesting, but i wouldn't get too attached with that comparison.

We all know its not needed to be in perfect health to go to space, its just safer to do so right now because there is no infrastructure in space to service humans (=hospitals) and, because of close loop systems, you really don't need someone who is sick to infect all others on a station.

Once we do "space tourism" you will see how different the requirements are. Think about it like the tests between a pilot (airliner) and all the passengers in the back. They both survive the flight, but of course the pilot is in much better health because we rely on him and want him to be.

EDIT:

i'm sure some pilots (and most were) didn't mention everything outright, but they are on close scrutiny anyways, they probably know more about their health then they ever wanted to know.

Edited by TNM

Once we do "space tourism" you will see how different the requirements are. ...

Actually NASA as well as the russian space agency have done/do so.

Good example for the NASA is the female teacher who got killed in the Challenger accident in 1986.

Similarly the ISS has seen a number of space tourists ... the best known (at least to gamers) probably being Lord British (Richard Garriott)

I think the best known space tourist is Dennis Tito. His voyage was widely reported by media on a global scale and he has entered history.

I've never even heard of Richard Garriott dude.

He's the creator of Ultima Online. And I believe he was the first person in space who was near sighted. Atleast on the ISS. But reguardless watch Man on a Mission. It's his documentary and its by far one of the best.

Pawelk198406, you have brought this up before, and we would very much like you to stop talking about falsifying your medical history on our forum. It's not a good idea, and could be a crime, depending on the laws where you live. Also, guys, let's please not get into politics and Nazis. We'd like to keep those arguments off of our forum as well.