SSTO/Spaceplane/Airplane Design Contest II: Akademy Awards

Thinking about entering my design... one of my first cargo spaceplanes, it has both a balanced cargo bay AND a balanced clampotron. I'm still working out the most fuel efficent way to orbit, but I've got more than an FL800's worth of "reserve" counterbalance fuel and oxidiser, enough room on the cargo bay for another FL800, and concealed Monoprop tanks that are easy to access by a clip through the cargo bay.

Mods are FAR and Stock Rebalance Project 1.3 (only part that matters is the reaction wheel nerf and RCS buff)

http://i.imgur.com/RcGuKAD.png

Enter away, the more the better.

Will it fly okay without the Stock Rebalance? If so, probably best to enter it without the mod requirement to maximise your potential voters; if not, that's okay too.

Manticore V1 V2

"The only spaceplane you'll ever need, until they make a cargo bay that can hold Rockomax parts"

JOtm50o.png

Required mods: FAR, Mechjeb (mechjeb free version also available)

Entry for Light cargo spaceplane, Passenger transport, All Stock Parts (Mechjeb-less version only), Best Use of Mk 3 to Mk 2 Adapter, Best looking Craft.

My first serious spaceplane since installing FAR, the Manticore is a general purpose lifter, able to carry 4-6 passengers and over 600 units (well over, since the revision) of liquid fuel, 800 units of mono-propellant, and over 750 units of oxidizer to a 75x75 orbit, while also bringing mission specific cargo and being capable of docking to any existing space infrastructure by 1.25m Inline Clampatron.

The cargo bay is large enough to carry Specialty cargoes, for Assembly in orbit. The Propulsion Core is a Nerva with enough control systems to self-assemble a long term mission- or after a deep space refueling, mount it on the Manticore's clampotron and fly yourself anywhere! The passenger option, while yet untested, looks to explore the term "coach seating" to bring as many or more kerbals as a far larger dedicated crew transporter. The fuel core brings an additional 360/440 rocket fuel combo, is equipped with a balanced mid-line docking port for a more compact profile when assembled, and also comes with a free micro-RCS docking drone. And the habitation pod offers permanent accommodations for up to 4 kerbals in space. (Station core and Ion Drone pack sold separately)

Craft file: Mechjeb and NoMech

Base Price: 149,356

Base Part Count: 195 (194 without mechjeb)

Action Groups: 1 toggle raipiers, 2 shut down turbojets, 0 toggle cargo bay/clampotron

Flight Instructions: I'm fairly new to this myself, so I might not be giving the best information- any advice is appreciated.

Edit: thanks Wanderfound for help updating the craft.

On physics load, stage, SAS, throttle up, close the bays with "0" (I default it open in case the nerva payload accidently starts firing inside the bay at launch) and let it roll down the runway. Liftoff speed is about 150 m/s anyway, so it's easiest to wait until you past the numbers at the end before nosing up, so you drop off the runway before your engines drop.

Work your nose up to about 55/60 degrees- You'll be using your pitch to maintain a 150ms-ish speed until around 8000m.

Once you hit 8000m, start dropping your nose gradually- I've gotten over 11 km before hitting Mach 1.

Operating cealing is 27km, though the rapiers will shift to rocket mode automatically earlier, so you'll need to dectivate them with action group 1. anytime after 1550 m/s you can burn to orbit, but the craft is stable past 1600 ms.

1dCBS66.png

Your RCS tanks are between the hulls, but clip far enough into the cargo bay to be easilly selected. There's extra liquid fuel locked in the inline intakes and Mk3->Mk2 converter.

tIJ5bdw.png

Fuel drains in 4x symmetry- bottom flank Mk2 couplers, bottom flank Mk 2 LF/O tanks, Top flank MK2 couplers, top Mk 2 LF/O tank, bottom core couplers, bottom core small tanks (either side of the clampotron), and finally front core top coupler, followed by rear core top bicoupler. (if you're using the fuel pod cargo, shut it down or remember to refuel it after)

This fuel scheme means that the CoM moves up and down, but NOT foreward and back, keeping the cargo bay and clampotron at/near CoM.

Orbital RCS maneuvering can be sluggish, but you have plenty of monoprop.

I'm still new to landing spaceplanes, so I dont know how it does on the runway, but I put my prototype down on bumpy grassland -mostly- intact, after it got close enough to orbit to deploy a satelite.

e0Be4ZP.png

Touchdown speed was something like 120 m/s, followed by hill after hill- the roll controls were (after mny tries) enough to keep me in once piece as I hopped skipped and rolled to a stop.

Edited by Rakaydos

Ok, I have updated my entry post again with Sporty MK1 craft file.

Nominated for Category:

Best sporty pleasure craft.

Best non-space aeroplane.

Best all stock parts spaceplane. (although I don't know if it could be nominated for last one becouse it is not spaceplane)

That should help to fill FAR/NEAR candidates. That should be all for my craft nomination, however I will update post with more info and partly tutorial how I have build those. All of my craft are designed as example for people who are still afraid to use FAR mod, to see that planes can be designed in a way that you can fly them almost like planes with stock aero.

Edited by kcs123

Ok, Here's one for the Low-Tech spaceplane (no parts over tier 5)

* Stock Aero

* Best Low-Tech Spaceplane

SC4A Kestrel

HzqilG7.jpg

This is a simple and easy-to-fly spaceplane for getting those science data around kerbin contracts, she's also ready for you to put some decent intakes and engines on, to serve you faithfully all the way up the tech tree. Could be quite easily modified for crew rescue missions if you swap out the science bay and mk1 cockpit for a mk1 inline cockpit and a capsule. Has plenty of spare liquid fuel to get you home after your mission

http://1drv.ms/1xvlYKo [OneDrive]

Action groups:

1 - Toggle Intakes

2 - Toggle Jets

3 - Toggle Rocket

Instructions:

As this spaceplane uses basic jets, you cannot fly it like a regular spaceplane and expect to make orbit, you pretty much need to fly it like a rocket.

Takeoff speed is around 110m/sec. you will need quite a high AoA to get airborne. Be careful not to over-rotate and strike the tail.

Once airborne, go to a 90 degree climb, and follow a general rocket ascent profile. Shut down jets at 21km and close intakes, and light the rocket. you should already have started your gravity turn, continue this and circularize as normal.

Deorbit: Once you have completed your deorbit burn, you will need to transfer liquid fuel from the centreline tank into the two outboard tanks, unless you are a champion glider pilot (and manage to re-enter just before the KSC)

3zKMBjt.jpg

On approach into KSC

For your consideration, Crazy Spatz Industries presents the Sleazy Weasel 7e!

9De0bnO.png

(Stock Aerodynamics, entered into categories Best Interplanetary Science Explorer Spaceplane, Best-Looking Craft)

Download it here.

This is a 33-ton SSTO spaceplane designed for trips to Laythe and back, with little or no refueling support. Its large fuel tanks and high efficiency also makes it excellent at multi-destination trips, with nominal refueling. It can land on its tail on airless moons, has ion engines capable of long-distance travel (albeit with long burn times) and plenty of control surfaces. Cost per launch is approximately 274k, although nearly all of that will be returned with a landing near KSC. The "7e" in the name means that this is the sixth version (fifth variant) of the seventh basic generation of the design, dating back to KSP 0.18.

The plane docks through the use of an inline Mk2 port on the underside, but has no cargo bay. The RCS jets, as well as various other gear, are hidden within the triple-wing design; each "wing" has three layers, with the central layer acting as the load-bearing surface and the upper/lower shell only adding lift and strut stability. The plane is designed for a single Kerbonaut, although it has a drone core to allow for unmanned operation if necessary. The science gear includes a Materials Bay behind the cockpit, two atmospheric nose cone sensors on the wingtips, and two B9 science pods (including all four of the "small" sensor types) somewhat hidden in the wings (outboard of the Shock Cone nozzles, clickable just above/below the forward wingtips).

Mods used:

B9 Aerospace- For the landing gear, lights, radial intakes, RCS nozzles, and science gear.

Ion Hybrid Electric- Note that this mod has not been updated since 0.22. It is needed for the radial Hybrid engines and the large Xenon tanks.

Besides needing to add part costs and tech requirements if you want to use these parts in career mode, the statistics of the ion engines and xenon tanks were not updated to reflect the changes made to their stock counterparts in KSP 0.23. In this particular design, the only change needed is to increase the size of the X-120M Xenon tank to hold twice as much fuel; the radial engines are fine as-is.

Note that the file provided is my "semi-stock" variant. My own "true" version of the Sleazy Weasel includes parts from KW Rocketry, KAS, FusTek, ScanSat, and one custom part (a larger 0.625m Xenon tank for the wingtips); many of the provided screenshots are from various flights of that version, but the basic flight performance of the two versions will be nearly identical.

In the bay:

Bkin2nu.png

xlkfYSa.png

With a cutaway showing the internal structure of the triple-wing:

xbmMt2U.png

The gap between the Mk2 fuselage and the type-1 rocket tanks, containing a structural girder, batteries, more RCS jets, and fuel lines:

nb46EU4.png

On the runway:

4nX1ykp.png

Landed vertically on Minmus, demonstrating the underside's inline docking port:

CcgSjn9.png

Taking off from Minmus:

tkF2lDn.png

Docked with a mobile fuel depot/refinery near Minmus before a trip to Duna:

yEHNDvn.png

Jeb, after a dead-stick landing on Duna:

pxadYKq.png

After Duna takeoff, showing the array of solar panels for Ion propulsion:

r7q21Nh.png

Price: 274,011 Roots

Mass: 32.948 tons

Parts: 221

Crew: 0-1

Stages: 1 (It is not necessary to do any staging; all engine toggling is handled through Action Groups.)

1> Toggle RAPIER Engines.

2> Toggle Extra Intakes. Affects the wingtip DSI, front Shock Cone, and front Structural Intakes. The remaining six intakes are always open. While not strictly necessary, it is suggested to close these extra intakes at low altitude (to reduce drag) or when re-entering the atmosphere from high orbit.

3> Toggle Hybrid Engines. ISP of 900 in vacuum, TWR=0.3. Note that these use a small amount of Xenon, so don't completely empty your tanks with the ions.

4> Toggle Ion Engines. ISP of 4200 in vacuum, TWR=0.012.

5> Toggle Landing Struts. Also toggles the rear-facing spotlights. Note that due to the height of the design, it is not adviseable to land on a steep slope.

6> Toggle Ladder. That's the ladder extending downward from the cockpit, not the ones on the back of the plane. This ladder is hidden inside the starboard cockpit blister.

7> Switch RAPIER Mode. Necessary for reentries as the auto-switching won't re-enable airbreathing mode if any oxidizer remains.

8> Get All Science. Not really that useful, since you'll generally want to log science data by hand, but I had a spare action group.

9> Toggle Solar Panels. This design has 18 SP-L or SP-W panels, enough to power the ion engines even at Laythe orbit. Do not extend in an atmosphere. While not strictly necessary, you should retract these before any EVAs to minimize accidents.

0> Toggle Air Brakes. When re-entering Kerbin's atmosphere, it is best to use the air brakes to maintain stability until fully decelerated. Close the air brakes before landing, or the lower brakes might hit the ground.

Toggling the landing gear will also turn on/off the undermount landing spotlight, and will not affect the landing struts in AG5.

Turning on/off the lights will also toggle the display readouts in the science modules hidden in the front of the wings. Generally, keep the lights on at all times.

TAKEOFF

Before takeoff, set throttle to max, engage SAS, and toggle Action Group 2 (closing some of the intakes to reduce drag). Note that the motors are engaged on the two central wheel assemblies, so pushing forward will increase speed on the runway for quicker takeoffs.

As this is a somewhat heavy design, you cannot climb steeper than approximately 40 degrees without losing speed. At ~12km, tip down to about 30 degrees and toggle AG2 again (opening all intakes). At ~18km, tip down to 20 degrees, and at ~24km, tip down to 10 degrees to begin the final speed run.

Intake Air will run out at around 28km, ~1600m/s. At this point, turn on the Hybrid engines (AG3) and tip up to 45 degrees for orbital insertion. Note that as the intakes begin to run out of air there may be some stability issues; these can be minimized by closing the destabilizing intakes again (AG2) or simply toggling the RAPIER mode (AG7) at the first sign of trouble.

At this point, the RAPIER engines act as a low-efficiency booster; keep them on until your apoapsis is above ~50km, then turn them off entirely (AG1) and from then on only use them for emergencies. All remaining ascent can be handled by the Hybrid engines.

IN FLIGHT

The Ions can be used for most orbital maneuvers, although Hybrids are more suitable for time-sensitive accelerations (large LKO maneuvers). Ion burns to and from distant planets take 2-3 hours; this design is stable at x4 physical time acceleration, however, so this can be reduced to manageable times with ease. The Ion engines are extremely power-hungry; the extendable solar panels should be enough to power the ions even at Joolian distances, and the batteries should be sufficient to handle any eclipse interruptions, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Note that Xenon, like Monopropellant, drains from all onboard tanks equally without need for fuel lines.

The Hybrid engines are the workhorse of the design. These provide a TWR of 0.3 when fully fueled, making them capable of all needed braking thrust for landings on Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Ike, Pol, or Bop.

The RAPIERs are not necessary once out of the atmosphere, but provide an emergency thrust if you misjudge a landing. While they have enough thrust, these rockets do not have sufficient fuel for a landing on a high-gravity world.

LANDING

On a planet/moon with no atmosphere, simply deploy the landing legs (AG5) and land vertically using the hybrid ions to brake. Egress is on the starboard side of the cockpit, and following the curved ladder allows the Kerbonaut to climb down the spinal ladder.

When landing on an atmospheric world, the process is more complex. On Kerbin or Laythe, ensure the RAPIERs are in air-breathing mode (AG7), and turn the RAPIERs on to ~1/3 thrust once you have sufficient intake air to help control your landing site. On Duna or Eve, you must simply glide in.

Engage the Air Brakes (AG0) at high altitude to maintain stability, and retract them before landing. The B9 gear is considerably more flexible than stock wheels, so this design can take a fairly hard landing without breaking; note that the brakes are disabled on the wingtip wheels to prevent tumbling on uneven surfaces. If your fuel tanks are almost empty, it's suggested you shift the remaining liquid fuel forward for better balance. The vertical ladder (AG6) allows the Kerbonaut to easily reach the ground.

Quick peek at what I've been working on.... a beautiful SSTO capable of Mun encounter and return. Seats eight, docks wonderfully, is relatively part-light, and 100% stock. I'll enter it if I can work out a few little bugs... but it's pretty sweet. :cool:

wE0unbO.jpg

My contenders are all for the FAR Catagories;

Incubus HMCS-III

Best light cargo spaceplane

Best-looking craft

F7iGxxS.png

Craft File

MODS; B9

Built to do delivery runs of TAC life support supplies to my refueling station at a 200km orbit, features 8m cargo bay and hidden docking port in a cargo hold (used to be controlled through IR but had to take it out due to bugs)

Cost: 54,119

TWR: 0.71 (Air Breathing mode), 1.45 (Closed Cycle)

Mass: 26,091kg (Without Payload)

Action Groups;

1> Switch Engine modes

2> Toggle Solar Panels

3> Open/Close Main Cargo Hold

4> Open/Close Docking Port Hold

8> Shutdown/Activate Engines

9> Raise Aerobrakes

0> Lower Aerobrakes

More Pictures

Behemoth HMCS-IV

Best heavy-lift cargo spaceplane

Best use of B9 parts

B4lFioy.png

Craft File

Mods; B9

Designed to be modular (more cargo space can be added/taken away). Currently used to take my heaviest RemoteTech2 satellites all the way to a geosynch orbit and has more than enough fuel to return

Cost: 234,946

TWR: 0.71 (Air Breathing mode), 1.44 (Closed Cycle)

Mass: 183,105kg (Without Payload)

Action Groups;

1> Open/Close Cargo Bay

2> Switch Engine Modes

3> Shutdown/Activate Sabre S Engines

4> Shutdown/Activate Sabre M Engines

5> Open/Close Docking Port & Undock

6> Toggle Solar Panels

7> Toggle Air Intakes

9> Raise Aerobrakes

0> Lower Aerobrakes

More Pictures

Basilisk HUAS-IV

Best sporty pleasure craft

o4ukAuu.png

Craft File

Mods; B9, RemoteTech2

Designed for high speed surveys and in atmosphere flight, however it is also a capable SSTO and easily able to achieve an orbit of 200km and return safely.

NOTE: THERE IT A REFLECTRON DP-10 CLIPPED INTO THE FUSELAGE IN ORDER TO STOP IT DISINTEGRATING MID FLIGHT, HENCE THE REQUIREMENT OF REMOTETECH2

Cost: 15,803

TWR: 1.22 (Air Breathing mode), 2.48 (Closed Cycle)

Mass: 7,615kg

Action Groups;

1> Switch Engine Mode

2> Activate/Deactivate Engine

9> Raise Aerobrakes

0> Lower Aerobrakes

More Pictures

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

To everyone who has not completed their designs for this challenge (and even if you have):

Kindly consider using the following lighting configuration. It's easy and quick to add (or retrofit), adds no parts, and can be applied to almost all spaceplanes. In addition, it provides valuable information at a glance, and it shows that you have paid attention to detail for your design.

I call it...

Up-Lite

(ain't I modest?)

To quote from the original Tutorials page:

Here's what you do.

> Right-click on your spaceplane's back wheels. Adjust the colors so that the red value is at 0.5, the green is at 0.05, and the blue is at zero.

> Click on the spaceplane's front wheels and adjust the colors so that each value is at 0.5. Turn the front wheel(s)' lights on.

> Go into the action groups. Click on the 'Gear' action group and the front wheel(s), and select the 'Toggle' function.

> Click on the 'Brake' action group and the back wheels and click 'Toggle.'

Whenever you hit the brakes, red lights go on; they turn off when you release the brakes. Whenever the gear is out, a white light will illuminate the ground.

What does this mean?

Well, for one thing, you can have a convenient way of telling your elevation when coming in for a landing at night. In addition, seeing white light illuminate the ground after liftoff has been a good prompt for me to put in the gear.

As for the brake lights, it's useful to easily see whether the brakes are locked (a common cause of embarrassment for me). You can even clearly see that the brakes are on or off when the F2 heads-up display isn't there.

Here's a video of the whole thing:

Again, you don't have to add Up-Lite to your design, but there are plenty of good reasons to do so. I would strongly recommend doing this unless you've already submitted your entries, and don't want to create a separate .craft file just for this small change.

Thanks for reading this, and let me know whether you'll use Up-Lite... :)

-Upsilon

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Snip

-Upsilon

I've done the landing lights like that for a while now. I don't do the brake lights, It's not a bad idea but I prefer they all remain white landing lights. I usually just use the default white though, not sure what the advantage to setting them to 0.5 is.

Well, I did't include breaking lights, but white light to iluminate ground on landing/take off is something that I put on my designs by default. Not on all crafts designed for this contest, but I found how it is usefull while I was building/testing improved designes.

It is good tip for everyone, not only noobs to the game.

EDIT:

It seems, I'm not the only one :)

I've done the landing lights like that for a while now. I don't do the brake lights, It's not a bad idea but I prefer they all remain white landing lights. I usually just use the default white though, not sure what the advantage to setting them to 0.5 is.

My pixel light count is set rather low (~10), and so having the lights going full blast makes the ground overexposed so that it is white. Not only is this quite ugly, in my opinion, but it also makes it impossible to see the terrain scatter at night, so it's a little more difficult to know your altitude. Setting the lights at 0.5 seems to allow you to see the terrain well at night, and for it to not be oversaturated.

I like brake lights. I've liked them ever since I was trying a landing without the F2 heads-up display, pressed 'N' instead of 'B,' rolled off the runway and exploded. They seem to help with that sort of thing. :)

I was setting up an install specifically for judging next week and I thought of something you might want to warn the judges when the time comes. You can not judge a non-B9 craft with B9 installed because B9 weakens the stock engines. I certainly hope those uploading stock crafts for judging are not designing them while B9 is installed (though it would just mean it's more powerful, so that's a bit better than judging with it installed).

Edited by Alshain

Well, I did't include breaking lights, but white light to iluminate ground on landing/take off is something that I put on my designs by default.

Same. For the longest time, it hadn't occurred to me to put the gear lights on the Gear group instead of the Lights group, but now I do it all the time. I don't bother with brake lights, though, because how often does that become an issue? Also, I generally use the B9 mod's landing gears, which don't have integral lights like the stock wheels do, so I have to go out of my way to add landing lights in the first place.

On the other hand, I now also like tying OTHER things to these events. On my personal spaceplane, I have a ScanSat sensor that activates whenever the gear is raised, and the displays on the science tools all activate whenever the lights are turned on. So there's a lot you can do with these to cut down on the user's workload.

Competition closing today!

To avoid confusing folks, I'll keep it open until the end of the 14th in California (rather than Sydney time). But, still: if you want to enter, now is the time.

How long do folks think we should give for flight testing and posting reviews? The original proposal was for a week, but given the number of entries I'm not sure that this would be long enough.

Edited by Wanderfound

Number of planes in contest x 20 minutes minimum for proper honest test (take off/landing and at least reaching orbit) deorbiting is optional but will consume a bit more time. Depending a lot on designed plane, some can reach orbit quickly, others require more time and patience. Reasonable playing time is 1-2 hours per day, someone could more someone less.

That means that 2-3 planes per day. I didn't counted all reported crafts, some entries were still not listed in OP, so that could be aproximate math for testing period. Maybe 10-15% more then that calculation.

kcs123 suggestion sounds about right. I already began on some of the planes in the good categories this week and for SSTO's my plan is to go to orbit and back to get an adequate feel for the plane. Obviously how other judge is up to them, but to avoid spending forever I don't intend to perform docking maneuvers or anything like that, just once around the planet.

Drat, I was working on updating one of my old, VERY Low tech (basic jets and roccomax 48s) -runway-launched science vehicals for FAR.

Goes up as a spaceplane to flameout, then drops the jets and asparagus in from the sides to reach orbit. For when you cant afford to replace the VAB after a bad start in carear.

Ok finally my entry....

In- FAR Best sporty pleasure craft

Best use of B9 parts

Best-looking craft

FA-106A Thundergod

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Mods-B9, Procedural Wings, Procedural parts, Real Chutes, BD Armoury, FAR, DRE, TAC Fuel Balancer.

Flight profile-

Set Fuel Balancer to balance liquid and Oxidizer, and out of the B9 fuselage.

Climb at best rate to 11km, or around 35deg.

At 11km bring nose down to 10-11deg and accelerate to mach 5+.

At mach 5 switch SABRE engines over to closed cycle and pitch up to 20 deg and climb to desired orbital AP.

Circularize as normal.

Re-entry profile, set nose up to 2-7 deg and deploy air brakes.

Landing speed is 150-160knts (80m/s) once the wheels touch the ground activate next stage and it will deploy the drag chute for landing. You can also use the wheel brakes to bring your stopping distance down to less than 1/8th of the runway.

Action groups.

1-Toggle SABRE engines on off.

2-Toggle SABRE engine mode.

3-Weapons Manager Fire

4-Weapons Manager Next

5-Weapons Manager Previous

6-Drop Countermeasure

7-OPEN

8-Toggle Air brakes

9-OPEN

10-OPEN

EDIT I am an idiot and forgot to post the craft file.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x663usdqhi57zo9/FA-106A%20Thundergod.craft?dl=0

Edited by Hodo

Sounds like we're better off with two weeks for flight testing, then.

As far as I know everything is listed in the OP, but I'm sure that I've overlooked one or two things. Point 'em out to me and I'll update the list.

(and if we've got any last-minute entrants, we could use some numbers in the Interplanetary Science Explorer and VTOL categories...)

I'll probably do a "best of the rest" category, which will include all of the craft that were submitted for things that didn't get the required 3 entries.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.