What functions can kerbonauts do while on EVA?

TerminalV

Store duplicate science reports - same experiment, same situation, same biome. The only other thing that can do that is the science lab, which is a lot heavier than a Kerbal in an external seat. Duplicate reports are needed for most experiments to get all the science available.

Transfer science to another Kerbal. This combined with the above means that two Kerbals can collect as many EVA reports and surface samples as you like.

Yes one kerbal can store infinite reports, but he can only hold one surface sample from a biome, did not know about the two kerbal tricks.

A delta-V of around 600 m/s. That's quite a bit, enough to get back to low Kerbin orbit from some situations as well as to make return landings on small bodies.

Using VOID and ARP, here's my current estimate of kerbal EVA capacity (for stock):

Mass: 94kg

EVA fuel: At least 195 seconds using only one set of thrusters.

Fuel Mass: zero.

Accel: 3.20 m/sec^2, using one set of thrusters.

Delta-V: Since it's magical, massless fuel (#lolmassless), it's not a normal reaction drive...but that makes the math simpler: 3.2 accel * 195 seconds = 624 change in velocity...

Thrust: ~30N

I don't know why Squad dropped the Monoprop->EVA fuel bit. It's been implemented in a couple of mods and hasn't caused any problems. 5 units of monoprop is only 20kg.

So last night a hard landing in one of the canyons on Mun resulted in a damaged landing strut on my lander. I was bummed as it was the landers maiden mission and I was hoping to use it several times launching it from a small space station in Munar orbit. After returning to the space station it occurred to me that I might be able to fix the damage strut on an EVA. Sure enough I went out and was able to fix the lander leg and retract it. I knew I could do that for damaged rover wheels but it had never occurred to me I could also do it with lander legs too. That got me thinking what else can a kerbonaut do while on EVA, what other component can be repair or manipulated by a Kerbonaut on EVA?

The things we already know:

------------------------

1. eva report
  2. plant or remove a flag
  3. read plaque on existing flag
  4. take a surface sample
  5. take a sample from a captured asteroid
  6. transfer science from one vehicle to another
  7. fix a rover wheel
  8. fix a landing strut
  9. manually extend a solar panel
  10. repack chute
  11. push a spacecraft
  12. transfer between cabin's (presently the only way)

13 - Kerbals can splat against your spacecraft if you run out of EVA fuel before slowing down

Works on Eve too.

http://imgur.com/a/91IJd

And is a 100% legit way to tour the planets

http://i.imgur.com/jPeOHOn.gif

But this type of craft can be very tricky to make work.

http://i.imgur.com/Hi0993nl.png

Yeah. Sadly I suck at balancing just the ladders. Got a nice space plane or at least plane part getting up in the air about 3 km up. Still going right now. XD I'll post later if I make it to space.

Edit: Need to try to make it lighter. Only made it 14 km up.

Edited by Aragosnat

Heh Tw1, I went looking for that example but couldn't find it so I posted the other. Eve SSTO is possible!

I've thought about putting a link to it, or the thread in my forum sig, but don't want it to get messy, and I'm out of pictures. Maybe when I find time to continue the voyage....

Yeah. Sadly I suck at balancing just the ladders. Got a nice space plane or at least plane part getting up in the air about 3 km up. Still going right now. XD I'll post later if I make it to space.

Edit: Need to try to make it lighter. Only made it 14 km up.

Yeah, to make the most out of one of these, you've got to use physicsless parts, and low mass parts wherever possible. The last vehicle in my previous post was intended as a re-usable Eve SSTO, (which I haven't tested yet, and expect to be extremely finicky,), and the only non-massless parts are an OKTO 2, a small control surface, and an external seat.

but everything else that kerbals can be stored in have the ability to carry unlimited science

Command pods can only have one copy of each experiment. Using two Kerbals, like somebody said earlier in the thread, you can get infinite EVA and crew reports, so you can finish the tech tree with one mission.

Command pods can only have one copy of each experiment. Using two Kerbals, like somebody said earlier in the thread, you can get infinite EVA and crew reports, so you can finish the tech tree with one mission.

cool never knew that. however, the reports may become less and less bountiful in science after 2 reports

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.