What will you do with cargo bays first?

-RanZ-

I was also thinking about using them to encase VTOL engines, rather than embedding engines in tanks like I normally do.

I had decent results with this using the current SP+ parts, though the inverted bays don't line up with the cockpits of course. Can't wait to try with the revised parts. I used 48-7Ss for the VTOL propulsion, they also double as the circularization rockets.

VTOL mode, gear down:

screenshot289.png

Gear up, transitioning to forward flight:

screenshot298.png

Horizontal flight, closing up the bays:

screenshot304.png

Closed up. The gear clipped through the doors a bit, and they're really fiddly to adjust. When I move past this proof-of-concept phase in 0.25 I'll try making it a bit tidier.

screenshot311.png

To orbit we go!

screenshot313.png

Given that all the screenshots of 0.25 so far still have the borrowed-from-Cessna landing gear, I am going to try using the bays to conceal those as well (they look out of place on sleek spaceplanes). I'll probably make a bomber or two to try out the destructible buildings before going back to more peaceful pursuits. I've found the bays too tight for anything but the smallest payloads, but they're a good place to hide utility parts like reaction wheels and the electrical system.

Space shuttle. It will be glorious. No more ridiculous kludge cargo bays.

And then there is this special piece of hardware you want in orbit, that is about 8 cm to big to fit in...

I have built replaceable equipment racks for my space station. i will use the cargo bays to ferry new one up and old ones down.

Also, i´d like to build a rocket powerd spaceplane for my Duna base, to ferry rovers and equipment down to the surface.

I had decent results with this using the current SP+ parts, though the inverted bays don't line up with the cockpits of course. Can't wait to try with the revised parts. I used 48-7Ss for the VTOL propulsion, they also double as the circularization rockets.

And this is such an AWESOME idea... i dont know if i can resist to borrow it... Well done Sir!

I'm hoping the Mk3 plane parts come with a bay for 2.5m parts. My SP+ planes are great for delivering life support and satellites, but I'd like something bigger.

If we don't get a larger bay, then Mk3 parts are still somewhat useless for my play style.

And this is such an AWESOME idea... i dont know if i can resist to borrow it... Well done Sir!

Thanks! No idea if I was the first to do it, it seems likely to me that someone else was as I've only been experimenting with spaceplanes for a month or so. I've tried heavier designs that use the same principle, an aerospike mounted to an m-beam 650 can also be hidden nicely in the current cargo bays, though the loss of thrust vectoring hurts in VTOL mode. Another trick I discovered it to mount a docking port to the top of the plane and control from there when circularizing or landing on vacuum bodies, that orients the navball properly for rocket-powered operations.

BTW: as seen in the pic I posted upthread, Oscar-B's (and FL-R10's) are useful for slimming down payload diameter to make room for radial items such as landing struts.

I've seen your designs in your Kerbodyne thread, they're clever workarounds for the cargo bays size limits. For me though, the tall and narrow stance makes them hard to land on uneven terrain.

Thanks! No idea if I was the first to do it, it seems likely to me that someone else was as I've only been experimenting with spaceplanes for a month or so. I've tried heavier designs that use the same principle, an aerospike mounted to an m-beam 650 can also be hidden nicely in the current cargo bays, though the loss of thrust vectoring hurts in VTOL mode. Another trick I discovered it to mount a docking port to the top of the plane and control from there when circularizing or landing on vacuum bodies, that orients the navball properly for rocket-powered operations.

I've seen your designs in your Kerbodyne thread, they're clever workarounds for the cargo bays size limits. For me though, the tall and narrow stance makes them hard to land on uneven terrain.

DaMichel's Laythe Wing used a similar trick (but with basic jets instead of rockets). It's good on Kerbin, but for low-grav VTOL I prefer Vernors.

The skinny landers require a bit more care than a conventional wide lander, but they're more stable than they look. I design them with all of the heaviest bits at the bottom, and the light weight of the whole thing gives the cockpit torque a lot of authority.

It is worthwhile hunting down a flattish landing spot, however; they're fine on normal bumpy terrain, but they'd struggle with a steep hillside. Definitely much easier to land than a Porklifter, though:

screenshot12_zps4d6adc74.jpg

...which should work to remind everybody: these cool new spaceplane parts? They're useful for more things than just spaceplanes. Get creative.

Edited by Wanderfound

Ooh, just had a thought: cargo bays used as small launch hangars on space stations.

If you want, you could even do it Battlestar Galactica style: keep the doors permanently shut, but line up a few bays and leave one end open to space. Come zooming out at speed.

Dangit, we really need a double-size version of those bays. Not Mk3, just bigger.

Dangit, we really need a double-size version of those bays. Not Mk3, just bigger.

Well, I'm hoping we get rocket-y versions of these (1.25, 2.5, and maybe even 3.75m if Squad is feeling nice~) too...

It would be silly to have special code to support a useful feature and then only have a single part that uses it *cough*smallgearbay*cough*.

They're big enough to take a Munar lander, an interplanetary transit stage or a dozen small satellites. As usual, y'just gotta build 'em right.

Yes, if those items are tiny and cute enough lol

You can fit parts up to 1.25 meter with some extra room on the sides. has three standard payloads,

Most common is the life support packages even I I have started to strap them under the wings.

one is the mapsat probe who is 0.65 meter core the kethane detectors fit in the wider part on side and I can have an 1.25 liter tank. on top for more reach.

Last is 4 rescue pods the MK1 pod, two lifebelt tanks an 48-7S some struts as landing legs and radial parachute.

I understand. Things can be carried, but this is the shuttle that I use to carry cargo:

KqB2HPt.png

Payload to LKO: 20+tons

Delta-V: 6000+ empty.

100 parts with optional "pomp and circumstance" upgrades.

It wil be hard to replace her :)

Yes, if those items are tiny and cute enough lol

I understand. Things can be carried, but this is the shuttle that I use to carry cargo:

http://i.imgur.com/KqB2HPt.png

Payload to LKO: 20+tons

Delta-V: 6000+ empty.

100 parts with optional "pomp and circumstance" upgrades.

It wil be hard to replace her :)

The B9 wide hull? never managed to get it to work right however it has an decent cargo space the spaceplane+ size is a bit marginal.

Kind of different uses, the B9 wide is a truck capable of carrying containers the spaceplane+ is the trunk of a normal car.

I like the idea of a cargo bay being used to bring satellites up into orbit, all nice and tucked away in a cocoon. It would be like a surprise party for the Kerbol System. Duna would be so surprised!

Unless the aerodynamic model changes significantly, I'll probably ignore them. And even then, I'm more likely to use fairings given what I normally launch.

Also: I wouldn't dare tell people how to play KSP or what they should do. And this might be an unpopular opinion but... Kerbals are generally pretty dumb and happy. The idea that they would wage war (and therefore need bombers) seems a little sad to me.

I understand wanting to play with the idea - that's what humans do - but this is a planet with no concept of countries, race or clans. It's a united aerospace utopia and that's one of the things I love about it. Layering on our aggressive BS just doesn't work for me.

No worries, friend. Squad has made it quite clear they share the same position. They won't stop such things from being possible. How can they not with a ballistics simulator? But there will never be a part made with that specific purpose in mind, nor any scenarios of the like.

I agree, as well. I does feel small-minded to only think of weapons when there is so much other potential. I am still waiting for a Heart of Gold drive, which would give a ship the ability to randomly appear anywhere in the Kerbol System.

Look at them. I will look at the new cargo bay part in the menu, and then I will click on it.

You are such a rebel.

Edited by samstarman5

Probably the same things I've been doing with them until now - hide batteries, SAS' and carry small probes (I always need a ton of SCANSATs everywhere and carrying them into orbit is one of the few things SSTOs are useful for).

Unless the aerodynamic model changes significantly, I'll probably ignore them. And even then, I'm more likely to use fairings given what I normally launch.

Also: I wouldn't dare tell people how to play KSP or what they should do. And this might be an unpopular opinion but... Kerbals are generally pretty dumb and happy. The idea that they would wage war (and therefore need bombers) seems a little sad to me.

I understand wanting to play with the idea - that's what humans do - but this is a planet with no concept of countries, race or clans. It's a united aerospace utopia and that's one of the things I love about it. Layering on our aggressive BS just doesn't work for me.

The bombers aren't for bombing Kerbals, silly! It's for cleaning used rocket debris from the planet's surface!

Make a smaller plane to fit in it :D they will be similar to my previous 3.75 m planes http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92117-Micro-Planes?hopefully these won't break in future updates like those did (still work on duna and glide everywhere with atmosphere). I will also use it to hide station parts I hope they make 3.75 sized ones and really hope they make ones bigger than that for a 3.75 tank with radial solar panels on it not that I have anything bigger than 3.75 m that's not launchers though.