[PLUGIN, PART, 0.17] Bigtrak KSP Edition v.30 Liltrak

chickenplucker

Update: Ha! I think I fixed it :) .cfg tweaks seemed to do the trick. Changed the part module type from Cart to Strut. Lights still work and the 6,000m camera drop is now gone, cleared it with the FTL engine at 330ms with no issues.
Revert it back, please. Part module must be set to \'Cart\'. Just try to attach a floodLight to the fuelTank (without BigTrak) -- and see the difference :(

Lights now work simply because BigTrak\'s plugin instance connects to the floodLight part and initializes a Light object on it (which is horribly wrong). The same\'s being the reason of trowing errors on flight start -- and of \'camera creep\' bug:

Something odd was going on with those old floodlights, if you build a craft with them, or watch Jontu\'s video watch the altimeter. Every 6,000m the camera will lurch ahead. In the video this occurs at 6,000m, 12,000m, and again at 18,000m. Well, its fixed now but that pattern still bugs me. *shrug*
Yes, exactly. There\'s a bug in Cart.dll v1.21.

I\'ll upload a fixed .DLL soon.

Ah, I see. I thought the game was being clever and just realizing the part has light objects defined in it and took it upon its self to use the correct plugin. I\'ll straighten out the cfg and revert the module back. Currently the crew pod is setup this way as well, so I\'ll make sure to swap that to Cart too. Was the problem with the lights because the part was not defining wheels when the plugin was expecting it to have some?

@Jontu and Nexus-7

Thanks for the nice comments and screenshot. :) I think the best part of making mods is getting to see other people use and enjoy them.

Thanx, I finally got my mobile light tower to my mun base.

mobilelighttower.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I\'m also attaching my craft file for use with Silisko Edition.

Looks like you\'re planting a flower garden up there. I wonder how big of a habitation module we can stuff in a Cuttlefish and land it successfully.

Was the problem with the lights because the part was not defining wheels when the plugin was expecting it to have some?
Nope. The problem is that plugin tried to setup lights/wheels at all the child components... including other attached parts. So if you launch a bigTrack with floodLight then bigTrack gets two sets of wheels. Which is definitely a bit... unnatural :D

I\'ve released Cart 1.22. No more wheel/camera creep!

I\'ve tested new plugin with previous version of BigTrak/Cuttlefish/FloodLights -- and it has flown to the Mun without a single problem. And -- now carts do not give a darn for what do their wheels touch! No matter rocket\'s speed and altitude, wheels just don\'t fall off :).

I think it\'s safe to update your package with a new DLL.

haha, thanks Thobewill. I still think it needs something in the middle to make it 'pop' better instead of being bla looking. Maybe a cargo rack so you don\'t loose the back two nodes.

v.12 is up, includes Tosh\'s new 1.22 Cart plugin and I changed the .cfg files on anything that was using lights so they use the Cart module again. Its.. um.. untested since I\'m at work and just quickly edited and mashed the new files together. So let me know if something is horribly wrong with it that causes your computer to explode. :)

Fun Fact*: Currently there have been 121 Cuttlefish\'s downloaded this month, and 459 last month.

*may not actually contain fun.

-snip-

Fun Fact*: *may not actually contain fun.

The way you capitalized Fun made it seem very.....http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Fun

Back on topic, placing jump jets on the Big Track isn\'t enough to make the dev satisfied!?

I\'m curious already. 8)

Also, I think having jump jets negates the need for any other !!SCIENCE!! instruments on-board.

Thanks Tosh! I\'ll get everything sorted and uploaded tonight. I can\'t wait to play with the new version and the handbrake :)

bigtrak48.jpg

Oh my god, I bloody can\'t wait for this.

Also, does anyone happen to know why the command pod seems to keep spontaneously exploding whenever the bigtrak exceeds 15-20mps?

I keep having this issue where I successfully land and start traveling, over large expansive flat areas, to my other successfully landed pods, and then suddenly the kerbals die & the bigtrak keeps going or the entire thing just explodes. Anyone?

Good to hear that .12 is working without a hitch, I just got a chance to play with it tonight. I must say I\'m really digging the Cart plugins new hand brake feature :)

@Toast

I dont think I have ever seen that happen before. Does it happen everywhere and with any Bigtrak configuration?

bigtrak49.jpg

So here is the part order. First, on the very bottom is the actual rocket engine. Then the fuel tank and on top of that the advance sas unit. So far everything but the engine is in game. I\'m having a hard time figuring out how a gimbal engine is set up, I\'m not sure what the part names need to be in blender or what axis they pivot on. I\'ll keep poking around the old forum posts though and hopefully by tommarow night it will be ready.

shit son, I still have rocket designs for launching the original launch of BigTrack, and now it has its own lander capsule and everything! And thanks for making such a (relatively) idiot proof design for a Moon Rover...

@Toast

I dont think I have ever seen that happen before. Does it happen everywhere and with any Bigtrak configuration?

I discovered that the reason this was occurring was because the Mk. 1 Pod, namely the way it was assembled in the pre-made ships, sticks out of the bottom of the BigTrak. ::)

The reason why they were spontaneously dying, I think, was due to sudden bumpy terrain combined with my speed; basically, everyone died because I momentarily \'bottomed out\' while their heads were sticking out of the bottom of the lander in typical Kerbal fashion. :o 8)

Although I can\'t honestly say this explains why it happened the second time, despite the flight log telling me the capsule crashed into the terrain, as there was no explosion what-so-ever and no indication I hit any bumps. :(

And no, I didn\'t alter any of the config files; the basic BigTrak ships that are provided with the plugin were what I used, and can\'t seem to repeat the issue when I build my own.

Also, thanks for making the cuttlefish shell easier to remove! Now I can edit after the fact again, lol.

bigtrak49.jpg

So here is the part order. First, on the very bottom is the actual rocket engine. Then the fuel tank and on top of that the advance sas unit. So far everything but the engine is in game. I\'m having a hard time figuring out how a gimbal engine is set up, I\'m not sure what the part names need to be in blender or what axis they pivot on. I\'ll keep poking around the old forum posts though and hopefully by tommarow night it will be ready.

Aarrrrrgggh, you torture me with its awesomeness! lol ;D

Question: Will this jump-jet be able to effectively act as a form of self-correction for BigTraks that may have done some kind of acrobatic frigging pirouette off a moon rock onto the faces?

It\'s just a curiosity; it\'s not like I have, like, 4 BigTraks sitting on the moon upside-down or anything... :-X

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Ah, I\'ll have to check that craft file then and make sure everything is tucked in out of danger.

From my test flights so far it looks like if your in a bad situation it may just make things much, much worse. Although if you could get it pointed upright while its hurtling at the ground you can fire them off and shoot back up which will give you more time to straighten it out for the landing. Just a few more cfg tweaks, then some final testing and it should be done. If not tonight the next couple days. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.