What would you want in the next update (0.90)?

EvilotionCR2

from the beta article:

Beta essentially means we’ll be working a lot more on stability, usability, performance, balance, aesthetics, all the while still throwing in little and some not-so-little things we hope you will enjoy.

>not-so-little things

PLANET SIZED PERCHANCE?

I want more planets/moons, especially a second moon of Duna.

But kerbin has two moons. Giving another to Duna would make the kerbal solar system more a copy of ours, and less interesting I think.

I'm still hopeing for Discoverable planets, mission planning tools, life support to make time management important, and something to do, to make it worth spending time on planets. And that female kerbals arrive soon.

Edited by Tw1

This beta news is exciting. I felt they were closing in on finishing the foundations for the game.

The main expansion on an already existing feature would have simply have to be more planets/moons. While it's also important to make celestial bodies in general more interesting places to go (incl. the existing ones), just the extra distances that new planets will require players to travel will make a lot of other features far more interesting. Eeloo, our resident Pluto analog, is only 6 times the distance from Kerbol as Kerbin is. The real Pluto's orbit is 38 times farther from the Sun than Earth's is. Having to travel 40 years instead of 6 would allow for a lot of interesting things.

RTGs

These suddenly become necessary for deep space probes, instead of just functioning as something that will power you through the night, etc. At those distances decay rates would also start becoming important, which could lead to various types of RTG.

Solar Panels

They become useless at a certain distance. A few larger types of panels (ISS-like) for example might help you to a certain point, but after that it's either RTGs or more advanced tech like nuclear reactors for larger craft.

Importance for Deep Space Refueling

Without a constant life support drain (which I assume Squad is still not on board with) DSR will have to focus on propellants. That means that DSR won't be a necessity for the current set of planets. All of them can have manned missions sent to them. DSR might make it cheaper and/or easier, but it would be very possible to not deal with the system at all. But if you needed to go beyond Eeloo's current orbit, then it'd become a much more necessary skill. That would add another layer to the game.

More advanced types of propulsion

There's a lot of new types of propulsion that are being experimented with in real-life, but many of them would be unbalancing in the current Kerbol system. Either you make them too cheap so that they replace all other propulsion types, or you make them too expensive that they're not worth it in that relatively small solar system. But if you had to travel a long way, then those efficient or powerful propulsion techniques could be balanced better.

I'd love to see a second gas giant beyond Jool with at least one moon. It needn't have rings if that's computationally difficult (effectively requiring millions of tiny asteroids). Might be a bit much to hope for before 1.0, but I'm crossing my fingers anyway. :)

Excuse me? What's with the inappropriate pictures? That wasn't required, you know.

EDIT: For anyone new coming here who didn't see that picture, someone posted an extremely... inappropriate picture in a post above. The post has since been reported and has been removed.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

Tbh, career balancing. Yes, i think this is very important to set it appart from Sandbox. You guys know games like CIV, where you have this "just another round" feeling. Something like that should be what you get in Career, like "just another mission to unlock cool XY".

I would be disappointed if Career would just be Sandbox with an "unlock everything in 3 missions" part.

Of course some basic stuff like deadly reentry, better construction tools (filters?), expandable resource system for modders, female Kerbals ;) and Fairings!!

Ultimately i hope it can get to 1.0 fast, sell well, and then SQUAD may have the incentive to sell well made DLCs worth another 6-12 months devtime.

Edited by Geneborg

As a beginner i would like :

- more explanations on parts. The funny texts are great but sometimes you dont know what a part is used for.

- more easy tracking of gathered science and remaining science to gather (especially on biomes...). You could have a map mode that would show biomes/special locations on moons with science numbers.

- a mouseover tooltip on the prestige bar to show your current prestige and more use for prestige in general

I found my love again for KSP and almost finished the tech tree in Career mode, I thought I will stick to sandbox for ever but career is much fun. But during the last 2-3 Days I've written down everything that I'd wish the devs would address. Most of my issues are editor related and they announced already a big rewamp of the editor in the next version, so some points might be obsolete by then. Also, although I've clocked already 200 hours inside KSP I still consider myself a beginner and learn new things about it on a daily basis, so maybe some of the issues are only an issue because I don't know how to do it right:

Editor:

- Rocket vs Airplane Hangar: Please replace the two hangars with one hangar where you can switch by hotkey between Airplane or Rocket editor mode. It's not so easy to add a modell that you have build in the airplane hangar , say a Rover or Shuttle, to a Rocket you're building in the Rocket Hangar. I'd really love to see a better way of integration between this two modes. Right now the only way is to save the model you've done in one editor as a Subassambly and than use this in the other Editor. This would be fine if there would not be one major issue: The part from the Subassambly menu only has one connection point for whatever reason, in my example I could attach the Rover only in the middle of one of it's Axis, although there are plenty more as I see in the original Editor where I've build it.

-Make the parts more snappy in the right place. Attaching a Booster to radial Decoupler in 4, 6 or 8-way symmetry mode is one of the most annoying tasks in the game. When I drag the booster near the decoupler it should just snap into the right place, not be attached to the left or right of the decoupler as it is very often the case. It's only an issue when you are at least in 4-way mode because the view then is limited and for the love of the universe I just cannot see if the booster is positioned right until I let go of the mouse. No sorry mate, it's again left, let's try again. To make things harder, when you click on the part it "snaps" onto the mouse pointer so you literally have to guess each time if you've positioned it right.

- Therefor, please don't make parts snap onto the mouse pointer when you click on them but do not move the mouse. It should stay in place where it is so I can micro adjust (shift+wasdeq) it's position.

- Some parts "sink" into others, I tried to attach a ladder to a structural platform but instead of getting placed on top, it was placed inside the platform, no chance to have it "on" the platform. I hope this will be fixed.

- It would be great to have a hotkey that when I press it, it let's me move a part vertically up and down while staying on the same horizontal position. Say I select a part, press and hold ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel or move the mouse forth and back, this should move the part up and down. Would help alot when you want to achieve placement symmetry between lower and upper parts of a larger rocket.

- Navigating inside the hangar with the mouse around the modell can also become quite a frustrating task, especially in Rocket mode. There seem to be two areas in the Rocket Hangar, inside and outside of the white circle that is painted on the ground. It happens sometimes that a rocket get's outside the white circle and then you are in troubles. The zoom is very limited, once the modell is outside the circle you can only zoom in half the way to the object and you also cannot longer go around the model. Getting it back into the circle is also tricky and took me a while to figure it out, you need to flip the rocket up, circle and flip it down again. Therefor please introduce a hotkey or similar to reset position of the model, so it gets placed on the ground in the middle of the hangar and eliminated the issues with the white circle. A zoom that is always free would be nice but even better would be the possibility to switch between build- and navigation view, the later being totally free and not focused around an object. Having Airplane/Rocket Editor in one hangar would achieve a similar effect.

- I'd also love to see more parts for everything Rover, more structural parts to build them, more different drives (chaindrive, kerosin/gas driven), better deployement and attachment possibilities, maybe some sort of a buildable cargobay with moving doors or even a crane if you really want to get crazy. There are probably addons for this but given the volatile state of the game (as in "many things change from version to version") I prefer to stick to stock parts. And rovers are a really cool way to get around the planet as I just discovered recently ;)

Okay this post becomes too long for probably anyone besides a dev, so I'll hurry up now. But I'm finished with the most pressing editor issues :D

Other issues/wishes:

- I really need some way to see what is bound on which hotkey of the Custom Action Groups while piloting a ship. I love this feature and use it alot, most of the times I have something bound to all of the keys from 1-0. While I try to maintane some sort of a system throughout my models it's not always possible. So seeing the keybinds would help a lot (and prevented some deadly mistakes, like decoupling instead of raising solar panels lol).

- Let us select which ship we will control after decoupling, so when I decouple a rover from my lander I want to be piloting the rover. I thought this worked once with the "control from here" option but it doesn't (anymore? it's more than six months since I worked last with KSP), I have to go to the space center and select the rover there. Or at least give us an option to click on a modell nearby and switch to it. It's possible in the map view but my planets and moons get more crowded day by day and then the map view select is useless because all models are drawn on the place, making selecting a specific model impossible.

- Just a small request but while you're at it... ;) Could you make the default orientation for rocket editor and launchpad 90 degrees? I'd argue that most of the launches are heading towards 90, so why start at 0?

- And lastly, please please let us multiselect (shift-arrowdown/up) objects for Recovering and Reconstruction. I have so much trash flying around my space and I'd need to click everyone of them, click destroy, click confirm, next part... so I don't bother with cleaning up and probably will end up some day crashing into trash while warping x100000 lol.

That's about it ;) I really really love this game, although the list of things that could be improved is long (and that's only my list ;)) it gives so much back and is so rewarding. Landing on Dunna with only Tier 5 Parts painted a big at grin on my face for the day. It combines two of my favorite things, space and science and also let's you build stuff that really works. I spend hours sometimes thinking about new concepts on how to do this and that and other hours just thinking about what "this and that" could be next. So I hope this post is regarded as an appreciation for the game and the work the devs put in it and not as pure criticism.

Edited by milosh

- Let us select which ship we will control after decoupling, so when I decouple a rover from my lander I want to be piloting the rover. I thought this worked once with the "control from here" option but it doesn't (anymore? it's more than six months since I worked last with KSP), I have to go to the space center and select the rover there. Or at least give us an option to click on a modell nearby and switch to it. It's possible in the map view but my planets and moons get more crowded day by day and then the map view select is useless because all models are drawn on the place, making selecting a specific model impossible.

You can use the square bracket keys ([]) to switch between nearby craft/kerbals :cool:

I would like:

-An geographical update of celestial bodies that were 'neglected' in the last year. Vall and Laythe still have their 0.17-form and appear somewhat bland compared to Eve, Kerbin and Duna.

-New planets and moons. A second gas giant (GP2?) with multiple moons would be nice.

-Proper water physics.

I'd like to see accomplishments required to unlock part of the tech tree. No docking ports until you've performed a manned rendezvous in space for example.

The whole science/accomplishment leading to tech notion is exactly backwards. A mission is first decided upon, then tech is developed to enable that mission. NASA did not land on the moon in order to figure ut how to land on the moon.

Given that the devs have explicitly talked about "buffs" (YUCK!), a better paradigm would be to accept a mission (contract) to the Mun, say. You are then given points to unlock tech. Unlocking it gives you an experimental version (the game already does this sort of). The difference is that this version would be below the nominal spec of the part we see now. Upon completion of the mission (which might include "test" contracts), you get points to really "buy" the tech, at which point you get the better version ("buff" to the units normal capability).

This gives a much more open-ended campaign, too. You could spring for missions farther afield right off the bat, or slowly build up better tech. Note that modders could then make the X tech have some chance of failures...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.