What would you want in the next update (0.90)?

EvilotionCR2

A minute? that's cute.

Indeed, faster loading would be specially good for heavy mod users

The bulk of KSP load times are poorly optimized textures, really. There are a number of really sharp "boring mods" to cut down this time, so I hope Squad takes stock of them and learns from them in their own optimizations, but the modders could also do a lot to reduce their own payloads. You'd be surprised how much memory can be shaved from very little effort.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96729

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73236

And of course,

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005

I'd like:

1. More incentive to build space stations and colonies -- and incentive to keep improving them over time. Not just science, but maybe also to keep reputation rising, or to gain Koolness Points, or something.

2. Light-hearted life-support, like the "Snacks!" mod.

3. Better aerodynamics; maybe NEAR or FAR as part of stock.

I would like to see them add a bit of reward for successfully recovering asteroids. As of now you get science for taking samples from said space rocks in various biomes, but nothing for actually retrieving a craft attached to one. You'd think selling rare non-kerbal material, or even just breaking down the asteroids into little souvenirs to be sold at a gift shop would be a profitable venture....but as is, you get nothing, no money, no science, and no reputation for retrieving an asteroid which makes going through the trouble of doing so completely pointless.

I'd like:

1. More incentive to build space stations and colonies -- and incentive to keep improving them over time. Not just science, but maybe also to keep reputation rising, or to gain Koolness Points, or something.

2. Light-hearted life-support, like the "Snacks!" mod.

3. Better aerodynamics; maybe NEAR or FAR as part of stock.

Yeah on all of these points. Squad kinda wrote themselves into a corner with the whole "we wont attach science gains to time" bit because of timewarp use, but that severely limits established, on-going devices like satellites and stations. Hopefully they find another way (or admit the current click-hunt isn't great) to give non-ship builds a reason to exist.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this,

I think map view is far too realistic.

I think lens flair and atmospheric effects should be limited to “reality.†In the map view they should look like globes not planets, we shouldn’t have the lovely photographic star field background, instead it should look more like a star map with constellations marked.

And you shouldn’t know what the other planets in the solar system look like until you go there. At the beginning of the game, they should be blank globes, Duna should be represented by pencil sketch of canals. (or maybe crayons, they are Kerbals) .

Only after you go there, and take pictures, do you get better maps in map view.

Which brings me to the next improvement:

Cameras as Scientific Instruments.

There is no more basic a scientific instrument to space exploration than a camera.

Probes should have cameras.

Taking pictures of places you’ve never been should be worth science points. Taking pictures of Kerbals in places they’ve never been should be worth prestige points.

(I wouldn’t be surprised if there are mods for this, but I don’t mod)

One more idea:

Equipment aging, maintenance and failure.

it would be very exciting to go for stage separation, and simply have it fail.

Parts seem to last forever, never require maintenance, and never break (except from impact).

SimCity style, you should have to budget funds for parts inspection and testing, have Kerbals spend time on maintenance, and if you skimp on that .... oops.

What would you want in the next update (0.26)?

I know it's kinda early, but anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I would personally want Xcom like, base building and maintanance costs. That wold make career mode MUCH better.

What I would like is:

(1) For the 64 bit Linux PNG bug to be fixed. I get tired of patching those two 0x01 bytes to 0x00 after each release.

(2) Realistic engine exhaust plumes. A hydrogen/oxygen engine doesn't produce a narrow orange plume in a vacuum. Maybe something like this:

(click pic for full res)

s2.png

...or orange/white for lox/RP1... but please no "blowtorches" in a vacuum!

(3) An exhaust plume that spreads out as the air pressure decreases would be neat.... smoke tapers off at altitude, why not animate an expanding exhaust plume as well?

(4) Realistic engine throttling. Running a big liquid engine at 1% thrust to trim the apoapsis is not realistic. Throttle should go from 60% or so to 100 or 110% (if an engine supports throttling at ALL), and use RCS for trimming residuals. Also, thrust should tail off at shutdown, not snap off like a lightswitch.

(5) Realistic structural strength. Why do I still need spiderwebs of struts to simply keep two stages from falling apart?

Lastly, I'm glad that FINALLY gimbaled engines now also do the roll axis. That wasn't so hard now, was it?

Kerbal XP and merits, certain 'things' they can achieve by e.g having 20h EVA time or being the first kerbal in space ect.

Upgradeable buildings, this one is self-explanatory

All of the features currently mentioned

Planets, some more planets. Planets. In space. Cause I like planets, especially ones with lots of moons and more planets.

Did I mention planets?

(4) Realistic engine throttling. Running a big liquid engine at 1% thrust to trim the apoapsis is not realistic. Throttle should go from 60% or so to 100 or 110% (if an engine supports throttling at ALL), and use RCS for trimming residuals. Also, thrust should tail off at shutdown, not snap off like a lightswitch.

That's realism for realism's sake and would make the game too hard for a lot of people. It's probably not an issue with dozens of mod engines and things like MechJeb to control certain things, but normal gameplay is far more casual than that.

To improve the carrer mode. Since they said we're getting KSC building/upgrading features, I think we should start with the hangar only. Add some balloon and propeller parts and we can have a realistic technological progression. Some new planets also wouldn't hurt.

That's realism for realism's sake and would make the game too hard for a lot of people. It's probably not an issue with dozens of mod engines and things like MechJeb to control certain things, but normal gameplay is far more casual than that.

How does fixing a bug and adding a few visual effects make the game "too hard for a lot of people to play"?

The only thing I could imagine (from my list) that may make game play a tiny bit more difficult is realistic engine function (limited throttle range and thrust tail-off at MECO).

And, this effect could probably be turned on and off via the "difficulty" options panel.

Another idea that I had was to let players load their own propellant. They would need to choose the appropriate tanks, then load their own fuel and ox at the proper ratio. Getting the ratio wrong would realistically result in wasted propellant and decreased performance.... (which then would result in someone writing a mod to do a PU shift for the stage!).

Also, DIFFERENT propellant combinations with realistic performance specs would be nice.

How about doing away with the red hot glowing engine bells? Most engines are regeneratively cooled and don't glow, and those that do glow brightest at the throat, not the end of the nozzle where the flow is coolest.

I already edit the texture masks used for engine glow to remove it for engines that are cooled and to glow brightest at the throat for those that are uncooled or ablative (or is that "abalative"?) :)

One more thing I would really like is the ability to do internal vehicle-to-vehicle transfers (i.e. a real IVA). Needing to do an EVA and bouncing off the spacecraft, spinning into oblivion is not realistic (or fun) :)

A tether for EVA would be nice too... although I don't know how a realistic looking tether would be done. A straight line that changes in length would look corny.

Maybe use random arcs or beziers to dynamically generate the proper length of tether as the astronaut moves?

I'd even be happy with magnetic boots! :)

Anyway, the mere existence of so many mods shows that at least some people really do want more realism and more features above and beyond stock.

And as I said, everyone could have the option to use or not use any feature.

Lastly, I noticed that your signline advertises RCS parts and improvements. Do those include RCS sound? I know there is already an RCS sound mod (that I use), but of course I hacked it for more realism. RCS outside the vehicle would not be heard. Inside all that's heard is a bang which is the sound of the solenoid valves opening and the onset of thrust. So I recorded the sound of rapping my knuckle on an empty paint can for the start transient, a low, quiet constant "rushing" sound for propellant flow and combustion noise and a sharper "click-bang" for RCS off.

The engine running sound I made by taking pure random data as a WAV file (which is white noise), then bandpass filtered it between 30 and 150 Hz. It sounds great!

Oh well, enough for now...

How does fixing a bug and adding a few visual effects make the game "too hard for a lot of people to play"?

Engine throttling (and infinite start/stops) is not a bug, it's a design decision that I and almost every other player is happy is there. That falls squarely in the "It's more fun this way and realistic would suck" category.

The only thing I could imagine (from my list) that may make game play a tiny bit more difficult is realistic engine function (limited throttle range and thrust tail-off at MECO).

Oh, so you agree. You thought he was talking about the visual flame effect? I doubt it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.