[1.7.3] Community Delta-V Map 2.7

Kowgan

So if I understand correctly, getting 3400 m/s in vacuum with my rocket does not guarantee that I'll be able to go in LKO ?

Well of course it won't. I'd just like to point out that I never know what to do with the numbers given for atmospheric bodies.

It's like "Well it's around those values but you'll have to test it yourself anyway".

The same is true for all values. You can spend a LOT more going to Jool than the chart says, and a LOT less getting into orbit without aerobraking.

But the "3400m/s vaccuum" to me means:

Use an atmospheric engine. Don't use a Terrier or a Poodle. Look at the stats!

Have a decent TWR. I like between 1.5 and 1.7.

Have a streamlined rocket that won't flip.

Do a good gravity turn.

If you follow those 4 rules you will have sub-4000m/s ascents, and should usually be around 3500 at worst.

All the necessary credits (apart from yours for remixing) are already contained in the image itself, on those upper-left notes. As long as you leave those there, you're free to rock'n'roll. :)

The license doesn't need to be in the map itself. If you post the map somewhere else, you can just specify the license name on the description.

I'm not so much modifying the map but making a very similar one completely from scratch in a new design. I'd like to include the license on the map so it can't be distributed without it, as it often happens on the internet. This would be possible very elegantly by including a small CC BY-NC-SA icon somewhere on the page. If you don't want that, I'll just follow your advice and post the license alongside with it wherever else I publish it.

All the necessary credits (apart from yours for remixing) are already contained in the image itself, on those upper-left notes. As long as you leave those there, you're free to rock'n'roll. :)

The license doesn't need to be in the map itself. If you post the map somewhere else, you can just specify the license name on the description.

I replied to this earlier but my post didn't show up, so I can't edit it. So, doublepost:

Apparently I can't read. I just saw that you explicitly state that it's a creative commons license in the first post. So there's really no point to my original question.

@Kowgan

I agree with your charts for interoplanetary dV values. I usually get those easily.

On the other hand, I'm a bit confused on the landing/ascent values. They are theorical values that you can't get easily. For instance I don't think anyone landed on Tylo with only 2270m/s.

EDIT :

OK, I'm stupid. I just did it with a simple 5 part test ship with TWR = 4 (up to 8,5). I used 2266m/s on a very flat ascent. A higher angle gave me 2400m/s.

Please ignore this message.

Edited by Warzouz

I'm not so much modifying the map but making a very similar one completely from scratch in a new design. I'd like to include the license on the map so it can't be distributed without it, as it often happens on the internet. This would be possible very elegantly by including a small CC BY-NC-SA icon somewhere on the page. If you don't want that, I'll just follow your advice and post the license alongside with it wherever else I publish it.
I replied to this earlier but my post didn't show up, so I can't edit it. So, doublepost:

Apparently I can't read. I just saw that you explicitly state that it's a creative commons license in the first post. So there's really no point to my original question.

Don't get fooled by the OP. I've added the license name after your first post. :) I should've put that there in the first place, though.

Also, you're right. We should put the CC BY-NC-SA icons on the image itself. Thank you for the tip!

@Kowgan

I agree with your charts for interoplanetary dV values. I usually get those easily.

On the other hand, I'm a bit confused on the landing/ascent values. They are theorical values that you can't get easily. For instance I don't think anyone landed on Tylo with only 2270m/s.

EDIT :

OK, I'm stupid. I just did it with a simple 5 part test ship with TWR = 4 (up to 8,5). I used 2266m/s on a very flat ascent. A higher angle gave me 2400m/s.

Please ignore this message.

Ignoring. Am I doing this right? :)

--

Map updated. Now contains the license in it.

Edited by Kowgan

I've finished my print friendly version of the map. Maybe you guys can give some feedback and look for errors:

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]OYX9d4K.png[/TD]

[TD]mo4aq0C.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]A4 version. PDF here: http://pingur.net/616d5a/KSP_dVMap_printFriendly_A4.pdf[/TD]

[TD]US letter version. PDF here: http://pingur.net/72a8ca/KSP_dVMap_printFriendly_letter.pdf[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Yes, I can finally retire!

That's seriously an awesome job there, Swash. I'm in love with this version. Thank you! :)

Now, for the review:

- What do you think about changing Dres time to intercept from "1 years" to "1 year"?

- Is it your intention to keep the mix (actual dV spent) dV values, instead of the recently-converted Vacuum ones? Kerbin being 3400 instead of 3200, etc. Unfortunately, I won't maintain the mix dV values anymore for further updates.

If you may, I'd like to attach that map to the OP.

Actually I just copied the Dv values from some version of your map that I downloaded. Apparently that was outdated. I will go over the numbers and double-check them again.

One other thing is bothering me: I put the total Dv to "land" on all the bodies under their names, and I included the plane change Dv in that number. This is not the case with the map in the OP. I'm not sure which version is better. It says "maximum" plane change Dv. How often is this really necessary and how often can the actual needed Dv be smaller?

It completely depends on the time of departure. Depending on the target planet's position, it could be at a point where both planets match planes, and as such, reducing the plane change dV drastically. Or they could be at their maximum plane change difference. As such, you can't say "how often this number is used entirely or partially".

I personally would not include the plane change dV on the final calc. I think it's easier to add it later as needed, than to subtract the unused dV from it, or for most cases, end up carrying a lot of un-needed dV on board.

On another subject, I must reiterate that your solution for the node type (intercept, elliptical, low orbit) is brilliant. It's simple and elegant. I love that.

That inspired me to doodle two different nodes for "Land/Reach" target body. One for when aerobraking possible (Kerbin, Laythe) and another for casual land (Mun, Eve, etc).

Here's the idea. I just felt like sharing it.

Can you proofread this version? My original submission has attracted some attention on reddit, which is kind of embarrasing with all the errors. I want to get it right when I submit an updated version.

What I changed:

• Plane change Dv is no longer included in the total numbers. Changed text on upper left corner accordingly.
  • years->year
  • Corrected atmospheric values
  • Corrected Kerbol values (the maps in the OP state different numbers. What's up with that?)
  • A little darker yellow for the Kerbol line for more contrast

http://i.imgur.com/VYbJUwU.png

I like your designs, but I think they are too finely detailed to work in my map design. Also you can't really say that you will fly planes in a body with atmosphere and rockets anywhere else.

Edited by swashlebucky

You forgot to update the total dV for all the bodies.

Here's the sum results for you:

Keostationary: 4515

Mun: 5150

Minmus: 4670

Moho: 8390

Eve: 15850

Gilly: 5020

Duna: 6540

Ike: 5330

Dres: 6680

Jool: 22300

Pol: 6600

Bop: 6830

Tylo: 9260

Vall: 7880

Laythe: 10390

Eeloo: 7480

Kerbol: 91050

There's no time for reaching Kerbol's Elliptical orbit periapsis (which actually would be better put into the Kerbol's Low Orbit, I guess); The "87 days" thingy. Is this on purpose?

That seems to be all. Everything else seems flawless.

Yes, I guess those plane/rocket designs wouldn't look so good if zoomed out. But the figures are there to symbolize jet engines usage (plane) and... not ("rocket" fuel).

Thanks for checking. I actually copied the numbers from the map with the totals from the OP, which now makes me realize that that one is not using the new atmospheric values either.

The time for Kerbol's periapsis is missing on purpose, because for all other bodies it's the time to intercept, and you don't really have that with the sun. Also I kind of don't have the space.

This is the corrected version: http://imgur.com/QeksANp

I'm also thinking about opening a project on GitHub for this, so that it's easier for people to submit corrections or make their own versions (perhaps for various solar system mods) using the same design elements. I'm using Inkscape to create this, so the source file is just an SVG, which as an XML format is ideal for managing with git.

Looking great. I've pinned that on the OP.

Making a Github project for it would be good. I've got a big interest to turn your template into the main one, and continue further versions of the map through it. And if you're thinking of releasing the .svg file, it would be great for that.

Thank you for your effort.

I've updated the map and corrected some issues. The new version can be downloaded here: http://imgur.com/a/aF8fn

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]q0gC9H7.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The GitHub repo for developing future versions can be found here: https://github.com/merlinthered/ksp_cheat_sheets

I'm working on a version of the map for the Outer Planets mod, and a key binding cheat sheet that visually matches the Delta-v maps. If I have time, I will also make a version for Real Solar System. If you want to contribute, fork the repo on GitHub, install Inkscape and the Aller font (see README.md), make your changes, and submit a pull request.

Oops. I wasn't really quite finished with the OPM version yet. I still have to tweak the colors a bit and somebody needs to proofread it. There is some whitespace that we might fill up with something useful. Any suggestions? Finally, I still need to make the US letter version.

Ultimately, I would prefer if we would also offer a PDF download for all maps. I'm designing them for A4 and US letter paper sizes. That way they are easier to print, and the PDF contains vectors, which are infinitely scalable without loss of quality.

The PDFs for the stock map are available here:

http://pingur.net/fd2958/DvMap_A4.pdf

http://pingur.net/a5c001/DvMap_letter.pdf

I've pretty much proof-read it and put a pull request on the github. :)

I can't think of anything to put into the blank spaces. All the current text seems just right. It's not bad as it is now. Maybe it's better than overwhelming the page with text? ;)

Absolutely, the PDFs are very welcome. I've added these PDFs to the OP.

Also, nice avatar pic!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.