What gender are the Kerbals we see in the game?

peadar1987

What gender are the Kerbals?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. What gender are the Kerbals?

• They are all male
    • They are all female
    • They are asexual
    • They are male and female, only the genders looks alike
    • Something else (8 separate genders, and reproduce using spores etc...)

I know that female Kerbals are on the "what not to suggest" list, so please let's not get bogged down in that debate! I'm just curious to know the feelings of the community on what gender the Kerbals actually are, with a nice, civilised poll.

I'm more interested in your own opinions from playing the game, rather than Word of Squad.

Edited by peadar1987

There are so many strange genders on earth (the distinction between male and female is only really simple in mammals, the rest of biology can be really crazy), I tend to believe that Kerbals probably don't have a gender like we would expect. Maybe they are asexual, maybe they are able to change their gender, maybe reproduction works in such a different way we can't even imagine.

So, at least I assume that they are neither male nor female.

So the actual Kerbal is infact only a tiny part of the creature we see?

Yes, I think so. Eyes, teeth, fingers (and probably some other small but importantbody parts) are of lichen while the main body is made from cactus... flesh? (Is it the proper word?) Their green body is near to undestructible and can live forever, so when Kerbals die, it means that only their lichen part is dead. Kerbals bury (or, more precise, plant) dead-yet-technically-still-alive bodies of their friends somewhere at Kerbin's desert areas.

I like to think they are asexual fungi or a sentient mold, thats why they poof on death and otherwise live forever.

But seeing as most of the art style reminds me of the US space program in the 60's, Then its reasonable they are all male, as the first US female astronaut Sally Ride wasn't until 1984.

However, since females are coming anyway, I will use gendered flights to determine if it's true that "Men are from Mars Duna, and Women are from Venus Eve".

Edited by r4pt0r
They cant both "live forever" and "poof on death" so I had to add an "otherwise" to make it correct.

All Kerbonauts are clones of Jebediah (including Jeb himself). The original Jeb was the only Kerman insane enough to strap himself to the top of a pile of explosives, so rather than loosen their entry requirements, the KSP just cloned him over and over to provide enough kerbonauts.

The Kerbal character design is obviously highly stylised, quite possibly to the point of sexlessness, but the male names (Jeb, Bill, Bob) and the short hair make me inclined to think that they are all male. You could make them look female with a few subtle adjustments and perhaps longer hair, and I think that this would be a very, very good thing.

Edited by DunaRocketeer

They have quite obviously been designed to appear male by human standards.

In my game I have female Kerbals (texture replacer), but all things being equal I'd like to think of them being plant based (green) and reproducing through spores. . .

Kerbals will have two separate looking genders. Female Kerbals are planned in beta, according to Maxmaps.

Finally.

The Kerbal character design is obviously highly stylised, quite possibly to the point of sexlessness, but the male names (Jeb, Bill, Bob) and the short hair make me inclined to think that they are all male. You could make them look female with a few subtle adjustments and perhaps longer hair, and I think that this would be a very, very good thing.

Here is something PeterEdwardson cooked up, but I'm still not quite good enough to render properly..

J5cML8c.png

I always like how threads like this basicly have 2 different replys:

There's the guys that take it all serious, and use real data.

And then there are the guys that tallk about about sentient parasites that animate cacti

please, better explain (semi)immortal beings that dont need food.

Or just have fun with the more zany ideas.

I'm pretty sure they are all dudes. From memory "Girlbals" are being considered but the devs are trying to figure out how to design them right. It could be a cool project for the community to come up with ideas on what the Girlbals should look like. (drawings / 3d models etc)

Kerbals have so many parallels with humans that there's no good reason to suggest that they're asexual. The simply haven't modeled any female kerbals. Making theories and such is fun, but there are female Kerbals. Female kerbals exist in the komics and the Kerbalizer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.