[KSP v1.1.3] Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16)

Claw

Seeing my name listed really just made my day. I haven't played since the end of June, so little more then a month because of this bug. I'm really excited to get back into it :D

I have the game on Steam, yet I don't see an update pending for the game; am I missing something?

Thank you once again for your hard work Claw!!!

I have the game on Steam, yet I don't see an update pending for the game; am I missing something?

I don't mean to be confusing, but my add-on fixes are not "official" and they do not distribute via steam.

Sorry. :(

~Claw

Edited by Claw

Claw,

I downloaded and installed the new BugFix today. When I started up the game and went to my Eeloo Ion ship, everything went kablooie. The ship disappeared and the game essentially went black screen on me. I was able to back out. I do not know for sure if your update was the cause, but I did find the following in my output_log file:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/GrapplingDevice/part/GrapplingDevice'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ClawKSP.MGNFix.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object, Boolean)
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
PartLoader:StripComponent(GameObject)
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
:MoveNext()

(Filename: Line: -1)

PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/GrapplingDevice/part/GrapplingDevice' has no database record. Creating.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'GrapplingDevice'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ClawKSP.MGNFix.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object, Boolean)
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)

:MoveNext()

(Filename: Line: -1)

This is the third time now my Eeloo Ion ship has self-destructed when returning to it (as in: launching, getting way out there, going off to do something else, then coming back to it - kablooie!). I'll hold onto the output_log, persistent, and craft file if you wish to see them. Just let me know. In the mean time, I'm going to try again. :confused:

Edit: Here's what I mean by 'black screen' ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hGZiKX9VpTBD5FwEVtdwLaLAf-j_PeS7XmiuyE5WpdU?feat=directlink

Edited by LordFerret
add pic

If you can, please post the save file...And is the craft all stock? (I'm guessing not based on the scanner.) I will also take the log file. That would help me track down what the problem is.

Also, you said third time...was that three with the fix installed or was this also happening previously?

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

BsRBz0T.png

Chutes, Y U No Spread out??

Seriously tho, this was a check of recovering boosters, so I staged which armed the chutes and jettisoned the boosters and then "["ed to the descending boosters - should the chute "fix" work under those circumstances?

Were they placed on the boosters in symmetry? Or around the whole craft? By that, I mean you probably placed 1 radial chute in 4x symmetry on a booster, then a second radial chute in 4x symmetry on the booster? In that case, they won't spread.

The way module currently works, you would have to build one booster and place the two chutes onto that one booster in symmetry. Then pull that booster and place it back on in 4x symmetry. The module relies on the chutes being symmetric counterparts, which doesn't happen in the scenario above.

So you raise an interesting scenario. If what I said in the first line is true, then I can potentially add some additional logic to check for matching siblings that are non-symmetric partners.

Has anyone else noticed that the heat shield fairing isn't actually inline? The fact that the heat shield has a greater diameter than its respective parent part forces the fairing to extend outside the space occupied by its parent decoupler. Just a little thing, but it really pushes my buttons.

Has anyone else noticed that the heat shield fairing isn't actually inline? The fact that the heat shield has a greater diameter than its respective parent part forces the fairing to extend outside the space occupied by its parent decoupler. Just a little thing, but it really pushes my buttons.

I've noticed that the fairing for the heat shield bulges out a little, yes, however, that seems to be a stock thing. You can always skip the fairing by moving the decoupler up a notch so that its against the heat shield.

I use the heat shields and conformal decouplers from DRE.

Were they placed on the boosters in symmetry? Or around the whole craft?

Around the whole craft. So yeah it makes sense they'd behave like that.

You can always skip the fairing by moving the decoupler up a notch so that its against the heat shield.

Yes the stock heat shield fairings are quite an eyesore, so I always do this.

• ModuleGrappleNodeFix - I think this is now in a real releasable state. Fixes two major bugs and provides a failsafe: Fixes bug when clawing onto the active vessel; Fixes bug which prevents activation of time warp; Fail Safe prevents kraken eating ship during time warp failure

Excellent job on this Claw, I've tested the bug I pointed you at (2881) and it does definitely fix the problem. I've added a comment to the bug about your fix.

I also tried loading an old 0.23.5 save I had lying around where I had an asteroid tug that would suffer from the explode on timewarp issue. I had to replace a few surface attached parts on the ship (old KER and a few parts of my own) with some stock parts so it would load but it seemed to work fine.

If you can, please post the save file...And is the craft all stock? (I'm guessing not based on the scanner.) I will also take the log file. That would help me track down what the problem is.

Also, you said third time...was that three with the fix installed or was this also happening previously?

Cheers,

~Claw

Here is the information (it's a Science game):

persistent

output_log

craft

Mods in use:

Clamp-O-Tron_APAS-1.0

FreeEVA-0.5.2

Hullcam_VDS-0.40

SCANsat-v14.1

StockBugFixModules.v1.0.4b.1

x-science-v4.7

Using v1.0.4a.1 (I think that was the version number)...

My first ship, Eeloo-Mapper died suddenly. I had put the game to bed and come back to it the next day. When I entered the scene, the ship just disappeared, invisible - nothing out there in space, nothing in map view either. When I exited out and came back, the ship was gone entirely, not even in the Tracking Station list. I have nothing saved on this, not even an image. I do recall NREs being in the output_log (I was tired, should have saved it).

Using v1.0.4b.1...

My second ship, Eeloo-Mapper1 died 'mysteriously'. Again, the scenario was coming back into the game, back to the scene. On arrival, I found all the solar panels being flung to the wind, and the vessel was spinning madly (roll). I managed to stop the spin using time warp (odd). I exited the scene and came back, where I then found the ship slowly disintegrating... pieces were falling off and slowly drifting away. I only have images saved of this, posted below. Again, there were NREs in the output_log, but rather than record it, because I suspected that maybe it had something to do with the parts I was using for the mapper (namely the Octagonal Strut for the body), and I decided to see if it would duplicate - hence Eeloo-Mapper2.

Eeloo-Mapper1 before

Eeloo-Mapper1 after

My third ship, Eeloo-Mapper2 was the one I was discussing in this past previous post. This was the test I was doing, to see if the issue duplicated. You've seen the resulting screen - black & empty. The persistent file, output_log and craft file above are from this incident. The image of the ship before all went south is posted below.

Eeloo-Mapper2 before

I have not downloaded v1.0.4b.2 yet.

I have a fourth ship, Eeloo-Mapper3, which is currently out there getting ready for intercept and a burn into a parking orbit. I'll guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. I'll note that I changed the transfer ship and Mapper itself from the original builds ... a hope for better results. I'll see how I do with it tonight (after posting this). Later, I'll download and install v1.0.4b.2.

Eeloo-Mapper3 before leaving Kerbin SOI

Yes, I know, I tend to overbuild... but it gets me where I want to go. ;)

Edited by LordFerret

Excellent job on this Claw, I've tested the bug I pointed you at (2881) and it does definitely fix the problem. I've added a comment to the bug about your fix.

I also tried loading an old 0.23.5 save I had lying around where I had an asteroid tug that would suffer from the explode on timewarp issue. I had to replace a few surface attached parts on the ship (old KER and a few parts of my own) with some stock parts so it would load but it seemed to work fine.

Thanks. And interesting to know that the fix is that far backward-compatible. The claw fix doesn't touch any other code except the one module, so I guess it hasn't undergone any significant changes since it's inception.

Using v1.0.4a.1 (I think that was the version number)...

Using v1.0.4b.1...

I have not downloaded v1.0.4b.2 yet.

Thanks for loading up all that info. v1.0.4a.X didn't include any claw fixes, so if this was happening to your ship before v1.0.4b then it must be something else.

v1.0.4b.1 turned out to be a bit sloppier than I hoped, as I did discover a few things about it. Although most of the problems had to do with bad reactions after a ship was destroyed. Which, in your case, happened. Although disappearance is another thing all together, and it a bit of a head scratcher at the moment. I will have to dig into your logs and see.

v1.0.4b.2 should be much better in terms of handling itself when the active craft is destroyed. Although given the complex reactions of this bug, I sure there are more scenarios that need testing to make sure it's working properly.

Cheers,

~Claw

I just noticed the stock Kerbodine engines "KR-2L+", "LFB KR-1x2", "S3 KS-25x4", and "S1 SRB-KD25k" are categorized wrong, because of the usual "Propulsion" category being set inside the part file.

I thought if a quick MM patch to fix this problem could be included in stock bugfixes :)

Edited by ebigunso

nice update,

an idea of improvement for the parachutes:

make the "risk indicator" default parameter tunable in a separate .cfg for disable it if we want and most of it make the defaults parameters for thoose blinking modifiable (i'm too lazy to do it for each chute each time),

my eyes are catched by this everytime, i will become epileptic! :P

thank you (even if you don't make my suggest a reality)

Thanks for loading up all that info. v1.0.4a.X didn't include any claw fixes, so if this was happening to your ship before v1.0.4b then it must be something else.

v1.0.4b.1 turned out to be a bit sloppier than I hoped, as I did discover a few things about it. Although most of the problems had to do with bad reactions after a ship was destroyed. Which, in your case, happened. Although disappearance is another thing all together, and it a bit of a head scratcher at the moment. I will have to dig into your logs and see.

v1.0.4b.2 should be much better in terms of handling itself when the active craft is destroyed. Although given the complex reactions of this bug, I sure there are more scenarios that need testing to make sure it's working properly.

Cheers,

~Claw

I've downloaded and installed the latest update ... no problems at all, no related NREs in the output_log file either. Both of my Ion ships (yea, built another and sent it to Kerbol) are functioning no problem. I'm thinking the issue I was having was not due to the StockBugFix at all, but rather related to my choice of building materials - the Octagonal Struts I used to build the body with, too weak. I'm thinking the Kraken related stresses from physics being applied coming back to the scene did it. Sorry for the wild goose chase. :blush:

I just noticed the stock Kerbodine engines "KR-2L+", "LFB KR-1x2", "S3 KS-25x4", and "S1 SRB-KD25k" are categorized wrong

I'm not sure what you mean. I see them in the engines section and in the "filter by manufacturer" tab.

make the "risk indicator" default parameter tunable in a separate .cfg for disable it if we want and most of it make the defaults parameters for thoose blinking modifiable (i'm too lazy to do it for each chute each time),

my eyes are catched by this everytime

That seems doable, although I'll have to figure out a way to do it that doesn't get overwritten each time you download an update. Incidentally, you were never supposed to have access to the blink rates (that was debug code that was left on...) Besides, the blinking is supposed to get your attention! :P

Sorry for the wild goose chase. :blush:

No worries. :)

Cheers,

~Claw

[...] I'll have to figure out a way to do it that doesn't get overwritten each time you download an update. Incidentally, you were never supposed to have access to the blink rates (that was debug code that was left on...) Besides, the blinking is supposed to get your attention! :P

I install your mod with C-KAN( just to be warned when a new version is up,also do you know KSP Add-on Version Checker? it's a good tool for non CKAN user),

and every update I go remove the modules i don't need manually, so it will not change a lot, but it's ok, it takes half a minute to do this.

I'm not sure what you mean. I see them in the engines section and in the "filter by manufacturer" tab.

Those parts are listed under the Fuel tanks section for me. I have checked with a fresh client downloaded directly from KSP main web page, and it indeed had the "Propulsion" category set for those parts I listed. Check inside the part cfg.

Those parts are listed under the Fuel tanks section for me. I have checked with a fresh client downloaded directly from KSP main web page, and it indeed had the "Propulsion" category set for those parts I listed. Check inside the part cfg.

The cfg does say Propulsion, but as of 1.0.4, that category doesn't exist and all engines are automatically sorted into the Engines category so it doesn't matter. If yours are in the Fuel Tanks section, then something is wrong on your end.

I am using the Stock Bug Fix Modules and it all seems to be working properly. I still have problems with wheels sliding downhill under physics warp. Could you increase wheel traction as physics warp increases?

There is a test case in Bug #3996 and I'd be happy to help out with more testing.

I'd have to agree, that sounds strange. Are you running other mods? And I assume KSP v1.0.4? Those engines are not listed in the fuel category for me.

Could you increase wheel traction as physics warp increases? There is a test case in Bug #3996 and I'd be happy to help out with more testing.

That's an interesting one. I'll add that to the list of things to look at. :)

Cheers,

~Claw

Hi! I installed the Parachute Fix and while it solved the immediate problem i'd been having with log spam with a specific vessel, it caused glitches with the spacecrafts I launched later - the camera would suddenly get 'stuck' in place as the rockets go on up.

I had *only* installed the parachutes fix from the pack, the 'Plus' configs were disabled, and I was running DistantObject Enhancement, Engineer Redux, Joint Reinforcement, DockAlignment Indicator, Notes, Procedural Parts, RemoteTech and ModManager, with a handful of other part mods with no dlls. Removing the fix's dll and cfg solved the problem and reinstalling it would make the issue show up again. I checked the logs and I couldn't find anything unusual...

Luckily the aircraft with the quirky chutes became a fireball so I don't have any issues right now, but I thought I'd provide some feedback.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.