0.15 Easter eggs? (Obviously possible spoilers inside)

zombiphylax

In 2001: A Space Oddesey they found TMA-1 because, as the name suggests, it is the \'Tycho Magnetic Anomaly 1\'. They didn\'t have to go searching around with a rover to find it, because they just followed the magnetic fields to its source.

So as far as I can tell, there\'s no reason to assume a short ranged \'monolith RADAR\' is cheating.

Any ideas on how to find them without using the plug in? I tried flying at a low orbit and looking carefully but found nothing that way..

There is one other way which improves your chances of finding them. That\'s using a protractor on an image which shows the monument and the shadow of it. That\'s how I found it.

spoileralert.png

Using someone else\'s screenshots is cheating.

::)

Seriously, it\'s impossible to find them 'by chance'. The Mun\'s surface is vast, and you will only start seeing a tiny black dot at a distance under 2km. The average crater is 20 or 30km wide, so even if you land right in the middle of the correct crater, you won\'t know if the Munolith is there.

As for the other Munoliths, even if you\'re close, chances are they will be hidden by the terrain.

It\'s pretty much impossible to find the Munoliths without the Muon detector plugin.

• 2 weeks later...

Just located the secondary KSC and I happened to equip the ship with a Muon detector and as I came in to land the bugger started going haywire. After a cursory glance around I found this.

nfo0hw.png

New find or did I miss its discovery in the thread?

For those saying using the muon detector is cheating...

I had a lot more fun looking for the munoliths with the plugin. I used the long range detector in a polar orbit and mapped out the coordinates (obtained from mechjeb) of where the detector changed from green to red. This took quite a while and felt like a real science mission. Then from these long range readings I determined likely areas to search with the short range detector. I sent 3 missions to each of the search areas using only stock parts (besides mechjeb and muon detectors) and it took some time but I eventually was able to spot the munoliths. To me, this was lot more fun than driving around the surface for hours or orbiting really low for hours and hours staring at the screen looking for a very tiny black dot that you might miss if you blink or aren\'t looking in the right direction. Using the Muon detector I could get in orbit, do other stuff on my other monitor and wait for a beep. In short, it was less tedious, still quite a challenge, and rewarding when I finally found all of them. That said, I won\'t tell anyone how to play the game... this is just what I found to be more fun.

Now to find all the Kerbin ones. I\'m thinking I\'ll need a cart or something for the short range missions.

I had a lot more fun looking for the munoliths with the plugin. I used the long range detector in a polar orbit and mapped out the coordinates (obtained from mechjeb) of where the detector changed from green to red. This took quite a while and felt like a real science mission. Then from these long range readings I determined likely areas to search with the short range detector. I sent 3 missions to each of the search areas using only stock parts (besides mechjeb and muon detectors) and it took some time but I eventually was able to spot the munoliths. To me, this was lot more fun than driving around the surface for hours or orbiting really low for hours and hours staring at the screen looking for a very tiny black dot that you might miss if you blink or aren\'t looking in the right direction. Using the Muon detector I could get in orbit, do other stuff on my other monitor and wait for a beep. In short, it was less tedious, still quite a challenge, and rewarding when I finally found all of them. That said, I won\'t tell anyone how to play the game... this is just what I found to be more fun.

Now to find all the Kerbin ones. I\'m thinking I\'ll need a cart or something for the short range missions.

Well said! 8) In fact, it seems the munoliths\' visibility depends on your graphics. I could only see them from about 2km, which would require a stupidly dangerous orbit. So using instruments made it actually possible, and also more interesting and methodical.

For Mun, I ended up using the long range detectors on carts. I triangulated positions from two crossing polar orbits, then landed the carts to pinpoint the things. For Kerbin, I might switch to aircraft, which is a whole new world of itself.

I just don\'t understand how people can call anything in this game 'cheating'. We have no real objectives, no scoring methods, none of the parts are really balanced because the values they use are arbitrary and we have open config files. Its not like we are having to hack into the game settings.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Wasn\'t even looking for it (at first). It\'s a few km away from KSP. I first saw it while trying to get to a stranded UAZ. Took me a few frustrating tries

(vehicle tipped and destroyed command pod) but I eventually got to it.

screenshot27.png

screenshot21.png

You can use the quicksave feature by pressing F5 to save progress and then, if some accident occurs, you can press F9 to reload the last save. It helps a lot with high-speed racing on kerbin.

I feel fantastic! I finally designed a ship that could deliver a (pseudo) spaceplane to the KSC^2! Granted, it was a Vanguard, and MechJeb helped, but I was having an awful lot of trouble designing a ship that could get there. Has anyone got a .craft for a proper spaceplane carrier that\'s reached it?

Macs don\'t have F1...

As a mac owner, yes they do, look at the key directly to the right of the \'esc\' key. On my laptop it is the button that dims the monitor but is also has written on it \'F1\'. To use that key as \'F1\' you need to hold down the \'fn\' key [for me this is the bottom most left key in the conner] and then press the \'F1\' key [aka the key that dims my monitor] to use is as 'F1'

Hope that helps.

P.S. If you don\'t like using the function keys as the preprogramed functions, there is an option somewhere in preferences that toggles it for you, although I don\'t know where exactly because i like those keys pre programed just as they are.