Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

While I wait 233 days before we go to Mars, busy creating a resupply/return rocket for the Earth orbiter base station.

The return craft/supplies, being somewhat lighter (~55 tons).. I've had to reduce the launch rocket down to 800 tons.

I'm a bit excited about this one as it nearly flies itself into orbit.. with no problems at all.

All that's needed is a bit of manual control on the last stage where I use about 5 tons of payload 'juice' to finalise orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/f0LV3Bo.jpg

Looks cool, huh? Used custom texture?

Ja.. I was wondering how close one must be before KSP switches 'gravity lock' to Diemos...

I try do a test orbit and swing back and forth very close, but can never get an 'orbit lock'

I'll try even closer then

Edt: OK 'problem' solved with a bit more patience.. :-)

Edited by ColKlonk

Hey i think i could do with some help. when im playing with the FASA mod my ascent and decent engines from the apollo parts won't attach correctly and then my hole Lander don't want to fit if someone had similar problems please reply (i'm new in the forum so be nice :P)

Any suggestions for an Mk1-2 (4-meter) escape tower and/or cover that I can put an aerodynamic front on? I don't currently have one and can't remember which one I used to have. I don't currently have FASA installed to the massive number of parts it comes with (sadly organized by vessel instead of part type, making it difficult to easily delete the parts I don't want).

A question on RO's Deadly entry, or RO physics... Would it produce heating, so early like this, and at a low speed ?

I'm not sure whether I have the correct physics installed.. etc.

The ModuleManager physics file has the same values as in the RO_Physics.

:confused::confused:

fx4kEDw.jpg

A question on RO's Deadly entry, or RO physics... Would it produce heating, so early like this, and at a low speed ?

I'm not sure whether I have the correct physics installed.. etc.

The ModuleManager physics file has the same values as in the RO_Physics.

:confused::confused:

If you have Deadly Reentry installed, that's a known visual/audio glitch. Heating is working as expected but you get an overly-severe visual/audio representation. The bug is purely cosmetic. And frightening.

It looks like your rocket is aerodynamically unstable. A similar thing happened to one of my early rocket designs where at a certain altitude and velocity it would burn and explode! Messing around with stage proportions fixed it.

Ja..thanks, have Deadly ReEntry installed.. that must be it then.... Was a bit of a shocker..

Kibble: The rocket's rock stable.. in fact too stable, as when I turn Mechjeb off it's hard to turn the thing, even with a big wheel installed

It's just mechjeb that seems to be doing funny things.. or not what I want it to do :D A bit more fiddling is required.

Titan II and Atlas V 552/551

My atmosphere doesn't look half that good. Is that in 0.90?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone please clarify the installation process or refer me to a post that has an explanation of installation?

It's a bit manual-intensive at the moment since everything's still in prerelease. If you want an easy install, you'll have to wait for the official finalized releases which will show up in CKAN. If you want it now:

• RealSolarSystem Pre-Release
  • Grab one and only one texture pack (2048 if you've worried about memory limitations, 8192 if you're running 64-bit linux or windows hack)
  • RealismOverhaul Pre-Release (install this last after all other mods)
  • Install required mods listed on the first post of the RealismOverhaul forum thread
  • For more engines, install NovaPunch and SpaceShuttle Engines and delete all parts from those mods except for the engines. Unfortunately, there are issues with KW Rocketry and RLA Stockalike engines (games freezes during loading) so skip those two for now.
  • You will absolutely need both Procedural Parts and Procedural Fairings
  • Some engines will read "non-RO". A lot of those won't work, so don't expect them to. The telling issue is that they'll still require LiquidFuel as one of their fuels instead of the realistic fuels from RealFuels.
  • Expect issues -- it's not done yet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellows, I'm currently working (exactly learning) on making DCSS Partspack, and I think it's done more than a half if I could set aside the texturing things. That's why I have these two questions...

#1. Can I have a RO-compatibility certification on my works?

As I started this work to teach myself enough skills and knowledge to contribute a real thing to RO community, I wish my partspack could be qualified enough to be accompanied with RO. Actually I have no plan to make my partspack playable without RO, so just make it's CFGs directly for RO, don't make MM configs.

The problem is, the MM configs are the very major part of RO, and as far as I know making MM configs and qualifying them is how the RO development works, so my way (not to make MM configs but to make a mod itself compatible) doesn't look normal. I want my partspack to be inspected by maintainers of RO and qualified as one of the "suggested" mods. Would it be possible?

#2. Could RealFuel cryogenic fuel vaporization inhibited by sun shielding?

Once I complete my DCSS partspack, then I might gonna work on ACES and Cryote partspack, since I'm interested in modernizing full STS program, including fully reusable crew shuttle(F9R), chemical space tug(ACES + Ctryote), nuclear interplanetary ferry(Copernicus?), etc. That's why I'm curious about the Cryote concept could work on RO condition. As far as I know, the newest DRE separates the skin temp and internal temp, so it seems available but not sure because I don't know how RealFuel vaporizing works.

5qQ2GC0.png

I'm so sorry for my bad English, it was never good but this time I feel it's worse then ever because I'm too tired now.

Edited by FennexFox

#1 sounds fine, sure! :)

#2...RF doesn't currently support insulation or a way to get around analytic thermal. I hope to work on that at some point before too long. Right now best you can do is use tank type Cryogenic, and turn down skin<>internal conductivity (since 1.0.4 stock also has skin/internal temperature divide).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.