Moho-Eeloo transfer (Difficulty warning)

So I have a bit of a challenge for the very experienced players. I'll do the hardcore challenge myself eventually to, so don't worry.

There are two difficulties: Standard mode, and hardcore mode.

Standard:

Objectives: Fly to Eeloo with a Lander. Land on Eeloo, and return to orbit within 10 minutes of real time. Use a gravity assist from Moho to get back to Kerbin.

Rules:

You may dock as many spacecrafts together as you need, and there is no part limit.

Bonuses:

Land on Moho to win an overall score +1

Bring a rover to either locations to win an overall score +1

Hardcore:

Fly to Eeloo with a rover and a lander. Drop the rover onto the surface without using the lander (Give it its own propulsion), and achieve a stable orbit within 14 minutes of real time. Land with the lander on your own time. Use a gravity assist from Moho to get back to Kerbin.

Rules:

Limit 2 dockings allowed. Part limit of 208.

Bonuses:

Retrieve the rover and bring it to Moho to win an overall score +1

Retrieve the rover and bring it to Moho, then retrieve it from Moho and bring it back to Kerbin to win an overall score +2

Drop the rover in space on an encounter trajectory with Kerbin, than achieve a stable orbit around Moho with the lander. Land the rover on Kerbin to win and overall score +7

This challenge was made to truly test those that think they are the best. I know I'm not, but I will try these myself either way.

For winning these challenges, you may name a reward you want from me or you may counter attack me with a challenge of your own.

Edited by Xannari Ferrows
I forgot some information

As TJPrime said, it's best if you try the challenge yourself first to make sure it's possible... twice if there are different scorings/modes!

It also helps to set the target to aim for; doesn't matter if someone smashes your record straight away, it just give us a better idea of what you mean :)

I can see the standard one being possible, but I do think that Hard core is impossible. If you can prove it to be within 14 minutes, I'll take this bake

Well, I have dropped a rover onto Duna and achieved a stable orbit with a similar lander within 7 minutes of real time. For Eeloo, you'd have to be a little reckless, but if it's a little too difficult, try this: After achieving a stable orbit, drop the rover and burn retrograde to land.

As TJPrime said, it's best if you try the challenge yourself first to make sure it's possible... twice if there are different scorings/modes!

It also helps to set the target to aim for; doesn't matter if someone smashes your record straight away, it just give us a better idea of what you mean :)

I've already done the Standard difficulty, but it was a little to easy for me, because the timing for literally everything was perfect. I didn't think to upload it because I was going to post the Hardcore attempt. Speaking of which...

I haven't tried the Hardcore challenge yet, but my ship is in orbit and waiting for a launch window.

Ah! Before I forget, here's a picture of my ship in orbit: http://www./view/ew23aavkca448a3/Eeloo%20challenger.png

(I'm not putting the picture up here directly because I can't make pictures bigger than -718 by 500 pixels)

I suppose I need to explain some things now, huh? The clock has been glitched for a few weeks, and it thinks I've been in orbit for 2 years, and my first mission to Eeloo 4 days.

Yes, I am using Kw rocketry, but come on. It's awesome!

But now a rundown of this vessel.

The Delta-V I'm not sure about, and I'm really not willing to put in the work required to find out, but I can if you really want to know.

It was designed to be large and with a lot of Delta-V, yet nimble and quick to maneuver. It actually turns very well, because of all the torque wheels.

In the fairings, I'm pretty sure you know what it is, but if you don't, I'll keep it a secret for now.

You did not set any "manned or unmanned" rule. Could it be unmanned too?

I ve got this SSTO of mine that I think can do the job but the rover IS the lander so shall I bring some kind of lander to drop on Moho too?

The mission profile would be something like this: fly to Eeloo with the vtol rover and some small random landing sh*t in the cargo bay, get back to orbit, redock and leave to Moho. During the fly-by drop some more random landing sh*t. Get back to Kerbin and land with an empty bay but the whole ship @KSC. Part count is 205 w/o random cargoes in the bay. Am I allowed in?

clDOrNG.png

You did not set any "manned or unmanned" rule. Could it be unmanned too?

I ve got this SSTO of mine that I think can do the job but the rover IS the lander so shall I bring some kind of lander to drop on Moho too?

The mission profile would be something like this: fly to Eeloo with the vtol rover and some small random landing sh*t in the cargo bay, get back to orbit, redock and leave to Moho. During the fly-by drop some more random landing sh*t. Get back to Kerbin and land with an empty bay but the whole ship @KSC. Part count is 205 w/o random cargoes in the bay. Am I allowed in?

http://i.imgur.com/clDOrNG.png

The command may be manned or unmanned.

I believe you found a way to get around my rule saying you cannot land the rover with the lander. In this case, it IS the rover, so you aren't using any assistance. Very smart. Overall score +1 for this.

Bringing a lander to Moho is not required, but does yield bonus points. Not landing, just achieving orbit on top of another really difficult objective.

Assuming you're doing the hardcore challenge, your only problem is that you aren't technically retrieving a rover from Eeloo or Moho, so those bonuses can't be earned. Assuming you are playing standard mode, however, the rover bonus is automatically granted.

So I'm in. Currently omw to leave LKO. However I do not think I will be able to drop the rover on Moho too if I want to bring it back to Kerbin.

Final part count is 208 (snapped an extra tank in the bay and a couple of struts).

ZcRm3Dw.png

jVTgFYs.png

I don't really understand the difference between standard and hardcore mode. Is it just bringing a rover along?

How would you know how fast something was done in real-time? 10 minutes seems plenty of time to land something and get back to orbit if you use time warp.

I have some really bad news. I wont be completing the mission due to an in-game crash. The torque on the main ship is not responding and I can't make any maneuvers to get back to Kerbin. The roll, pitch, and yaw are all stuck in one position, and I can't move them.

But I did manage getting the lander and rover to Eeloo. Here are the shots I took:

Interplanetary%2Btranfer.png

Our Eeloo-Moho challenger is ready for departure. This marks the beginning of the challenger. There's no going back...

Interplanetary%2Bburn.png

We've made it to our maneuver, but we're not going straight to Eeloo. Our path is interplanetary and will allow us to make corrections of our plane and eccentricity, then we will go for an encounter.

A%2Bquick%2Bburn.png

A quick burn at the ascending node will give us the correct plane to plot an ideal course to Eeloo. Surely this isn't the most efficient way, but I didn't have much patience that day either.

Eeloo%2Bapproach.png

We plot an encounter near Eeloo's apoapsis in order to save a bit of Delta-V on the return. In other words, we wont be staying there very long.

Fuel%2Bline%2Berror.png

Oh... Seems the in game data has changed the position of my fuel line, and it no longer connects to my makeshift bridge. Well, we just lost roughly 6 Km/s of Delta-V. Surely this is part of the challenge, right?

Eeloo%2Borbit.png

Well, nevertheless, we did at least have enough to make it into orbit. I suppose you're just dying to know what's in the fairings now, aren't you? Well hold onto your pants, because...

Cargo.png

Well, they aren't the easiest things to see, but we have our rover and the lander. I wanted to make them small, and it was actually harder than making them big! But I was able to do it, and now they get to go on their own paths.

Rover.png

This little guy was a bit of a challenge to land, but he's all in one piece. Turns out our Ion engine actually exploded on touchdown, so we don't have to decouple it! Although we could have recovered it eventually... but now it's garbage, so we'll move on.

Lander.png

I know it's not necessary to post this now, but I wanted everyone to know that it look cuter when its landing gear is up.

Landed.png

Also, apparently my solar panels exploded sometime in the fairings, so I now have a right to say: CONSERVATION AT ITS FINEST!

Time%2Bto%2Broll.png

After a bit of offscreen roving (2 hours), we found sight of our lander. We will get close, and use the docking ports to bring them back to the main ship.

Broken%2Bspacecraft.png

That is, if we still had a main ship. Unfortunately an ongoing glitch in the game wont let me see my fuel supplies, and that makes it impossible to check my electric charge. We have enough to deploy the panels, but they aren't doing anything. On top of that, ASAS isn't responding, and our engines aren't working either. Looks like this mission was a failure...

But hey, I'd still love to see everyone else's tries.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.