KOSMOS 3/14/2015 RD-170 Family Released!

Been dwelling on a repaint. URM could get optional colors but SSPP would get a major overhaul if touched again (but that will not be anytime soon).

I don't think think its too presumptuous to assume that people are going to be using SSPP as a analogue for the Russian ISS parts. So if you are considering to change the colors of the SSPP parts, maybe consider making them close to ISS colors, or at least optional colors. The way that Fustek station parts has the color switcher.

I don't think think its too presumptuous to assume that people are going to be using SSPP as a analogue for the Russian ISS parts. So if you are considering to change the colors of the SSPP parts, maybe consider making them close to ISS colors, or at least optional colors. The way that Fustek station parts has the color switcher.

+1, i'm one who would love if it was possible to switch between different testures like Fustek does, i certainly would build stations with stockish, white (ISS and Mir) and green (salyut and TKS) if it was possible (and available, of course) to swap them like Fustek does (but only getting stockish would be awesome already)

if you need help with the textures i might be able to help, i'm used to make repaints for FSX... (although i'm not good at making structural details)

well they are editable feel free to give changes a go and post some screens lol

As for Stuff... I am still not sure about Square mounts as Versus Round. The issue was one that making them Square saved polies however... RD-170 is very high poly anyway. and it would make making strutting them correctly easier.

Then again this does not looks half bad.

RD-180%20mount.png

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

Since the RD-170 family is probably too extremely detailed I will most likely add models that are fully covered. Thus dramatically reduced in ploy count.

I normally would simplify all the designs to be smooth and use normal maps to add the detail but because this family of engines is so awesome I wanted to really capture their form. (plus I had amazing referrences to go off of and adapt to my preferences)

Since the RD-170 family is probably too extremely detailed I will most likely add models that are fully covered. Thus dramatically reduced in ploy count.

I normally would simplify all the designs to be smooth and use normal maps to add the detail but because this family of engines is so awesome I wanted to really capture their form. (plus I had amazing referrences to go off of and adapt to my preferences)

I guess that having two nozzles is factoring in the extra poly count...

For the guys like me that don't care about the health of their GPU will you relase the "naked" model engines too?

I guess that having two nozzles is factoring in the extra poly count...

For the guys like me that don't care about the health of their GPU will you relase the "naked" model engines too?

Well I certainly didn't make them so damn accurate for no reason :D. They might not exactly fit with the other engines in the pack but hey.... They will look pretty and texture memory space wise only count as one new part.

Besides, polycount is less of an issue than textures on modern GPUs. As long as the texture is kept within reason, and the collider is not custom-made, you should be fine.

I decided that there are 2 more RD-170 family possibilities to create though only one in the near future. The other will need to wait for a bit though should be useful.

I may possible attempt to reduce polies if needed. I will test this out tonight I think. And hoping to get the NTRs out soon. Development is currently delayed due to Farcry 4

I can understand that ;)

Yeah :D I had a virus attack yesterday. But that seems mostly resolved for now.

Anyway plumbing on the RD-170 family has begun. The required positions of the Fuel connections is a little weird and much different than URM-1 mounts but... It is a must for my plans.

I am concerned. NoMRBond is MIA :( Lets pray he is safe.

and the virus seems to have messed up my 3ds Max install....

Anyway plumbing on the RD-170 family has begun. The required positions of the Fuel connections is a little weird and much different than URM-1 mounts but... It is a must for my plans.

Wow that sucks. (Re)Installing the thing takes quite some time D: Hopefully you can manage to get it back as it was without too much hassle!

Sorry about that, needed some away from everything time, just got back in today

Oop that sounds nasty, I hate those little buggers that just dig in everywhere and pulling them out ends up killing everything they touched.

just reporting it, i've got that VA bug, where it shrinks when you time warp, too :(

i'll be using the Mk 1-2 pod until it gets fixed (fits nicely if you use SDHI heatshield)

I can post the fix for this when I get home if you're comfortable manually editing the .cfg file to apply it

Are there any other outstanding issues which have cropped up?

I can post the fix for this when I get home if you're comfortable manually editing the .cfg file to apply it

Are there any other outstanding issues which have cropped up?

yes, i would like it :)

btw, i edited the texture and somehow the bug stopped, but it never hurts to get an extra fix, just to be sure it won't happen again :D

the only other thing i've noticed (and that happens with some other parts aswell, not just Kosmos parts, so idk if it is a problem in my end or not, i'm guessin my end) is that you can see the shadows through the fuselage of the VA pod... :(

ops. NTRs were up for release soon but now the gimbals arn't working :D so those are delayed. The good news is that I've decided to make another varient that lacks gimbals but gains something else. :D

Time to poke moarDV? :) Jokes aside, this is some top-class teasing.

Naturally the RD-175 is a tricky one to plumb since it is so unconventional.

but here RD-175 is 95% plumbed. Definitly high poly and over detailed but I have wanted to make these engines like this for 3 years. They will be the pride of the URM-2 & UR-3 fleet so I want them to be stellar.

RD-193.png

Incase you were curious RD-171 fuel lines to get the fuel to each nozzle.

FuelDisp.png

Naturally the RD-175 is a tricky one to plumb since it is so unconventional.

but here RD-175 is 95% plumbed. Definitly high poly and over detailed but I have wanted to make these engines like this for 3 years. They will be the pride of the URM-2 & UR-3 fleet so I want them to be stellar.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1417259/kerbal/screen%20shots/RD-193.png

Incase you were curious RD-171 fuel lines to get the fuel to each nozzle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1417259/kerbal/screen%20shots/FuelDisp.png

That looks like always extremly detailed.

Sometimes I just ask Is he crazy, These parts give me sweaty hands.

What is the tri count for them? I looks like they must be somewhere close to 5k.

Oh and nice to see that I'm not the only one using still 3ds Max :D

Something russia should have out by 2016 or so. It is something that i have seen 2 different designs for. I am going for the weirder one.

Which is why I love your work. :)

Which is why I love your work. :)

ORLY? did you notice that donate button? >.> lol

Dem Splines! Okay! Fuel pump to Nozzle circuts are completed!!!! Now for the Boost pumps and Preburner Fuel line then to getting them preduction ready

splinedancer.png