KOSMOS 3/14/2015 RD-170 Family Released!

to be honest IVAs sort of he reason I don't work on SSPP much. IVas consume so much time and are utterly pointless. and Stocks crew transfer method is just... dumb...

I'll have to agree here. I see on those forums that people always ask for IVAs, but how much they are actually useful? Even with full RPM support, is hard to do a complete mission from IVA, and they are seen one or two times for stuff like science labs; mostly they seems to be useful for planes, and yet I'm sure that way more time is spent on the external view than in IVA. So I would actually prefer more parts to play with than IVAs, especially when they take lots of time to get done...

Don't get me wrong, I like them and think that they add a layer of polish and "extra" to parts, but it's mcuh more tolerable if someone that likes to make IVAs offers up do them, like for B9.

Edited by Sage

I checked out the release (wonderful btw) but I must bring something up. The RD-58SS appears to be missing it's square mounting plate (or if it doesn't have one the attach node needs to be adjusted). Here's an image showing what I'm talking about:

fvVsxUQ.png

I noticed you're using Firespitter for RD-0146. This plugin might be more fitting:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82341

It'd automatically extend the nozzle when the engine is activated.

Also, your naming scheme is a bit off. RD-0146 is the one without the nozzle extension. The engine with the movable skirt is called RD-0146D. Just a slight name change in the description would fix it.

The pack looks fine, but all textures are .tga. This is a bad practice, this format is bugged. MBM or DDS work better, though the latter needs a plugin to work.

I noticed you're using Firespitter for RD-0146. This plugin might be more fitting:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82341

It'd automatically extend the nozzle when the engine is activated.

Also, your naming scheme is a bit off. RD-0146 is the one without the nozzle extension. The engine with the movable skirt is called RD-0146D. Just a slight name change in the description would fix it.

The pack looks fine, but all textures are .tga. This is a bad practice, this format is bugged. MBM or DDS work better, though the latter needs a plugin to work.

I agree with everything here, especially the DDS format as it can help save a LOT of memory and dependencies don't matter because you already have a few so what's one more? :)

If you really feel creative, you could re-make the engines with a "main" mesh and multiple "adapter" meshes combined with MODEL, and switch them with the *redacted*, if MOARdv implements that function. ;)

That'll never happen. ;)

7hBJD3.png

I checked out the release (wonderful btw) but I must bring something up. The RD-58SS appears to be missing it's square mounting plate (or if it doesn't have one the attach node needs to be adjusted). Here's an image showing what I'm talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/fvVsxUQ.png

Dangit I know I fixed that after the folder names got changed.

[Edit] You can manually fix the broken MODEL{} call in the RD-58SS config by removing the _Angara from the location if you're happy doing this manually

[Edit2] There should be an updated URM release with this fix rolled in available now

Edited by NoMrBond

There are other items pending which will also use Firespitter capabilities

The move to .tga was made when it was the best option, with the intention of allowing people to resize the textures etc to their content, unfortunately they now have some issues. I can have a look at the DDS loader now but actually getting a release was a priority.

what are we supposed to lift with it? thin air? Give us KOSMOS!!!! :D

The KOSMOS SSPP package took on Kerbalstuff, Curseforge won't accept the SSPP archive for some reason

Edited by NoMrBond

Dangit I know I fixed that after the folder names got changed.

[Edit] You can manually fix the broken MODEL{} call in the RD-58SS config by removing the _Angara from the location if you're happy doing this manually

That did the trick for those who also want to fix it.

Awesome! :)

(Moved back to Releases)

Oh, a note. TGA is, indeed, very very bugged. It randomly fails to load, and it's also never compressed. Right now the only unbugged format for stock KSP is the MBM format. Note that if someone is using ATM, even in basic, all loader bugs are fixed, but there *will* be people who don't use it...

Awesome! :)

(Moved back to Releases)

Oh, a note. TGA is, indeed, very very bugged. It randomly fails to load, and it's also never compressed. Right now the only unbugged format for stock KSP is the MBM format. Note that if someone is using ATM, even in basic, all loader bugs are fixed, but there *will* be people who don't use it...

Just wanted to add something, since I'm quite fond of TGA for obvious reasons I've taken an interest in this bug, and I've come to have a belief that it is not random. I've been trying to cause the bug as much as possible by thrashing the disk KSP is on while loading the program and when I see a part in all white, I move it's textures from TGA to PNG. It appears to me that some parts/textures/cfgs are succeptable to the bug and others are not. Since the last white part I was able to cause was moved to PNG, I have'nt seen the bug in a while. I may be wrong, but that's what I believe presently.

Oh... and

KOCMOC IS AWESOME!

PS; Love the new launch vehicle. Like really love it.

There's no reason to stick with TGA now that we can load DDS. They're just as editable, smaller on HD, load quicker and hog less memory, especially OpenGL/DX11 mode. LoadOnDemand doesn't like them at the moment, which is perhaps their only fault right now.

Bug report!: Using revert to launch makes the VA pod have some form of rescaling glitch.

B5h7dDi.png

Unrelated, can someone please retexture the HGR Soyuz thing to match with these, as it looks kinda tacky docked to my station made from Kosmos parts.

Not fair while I'm sleeping!

I see you're working fast ;)

BTW, on the URMP resizable tanks the lower stage tanks are using the thin double oxidizer line, you guys should switch them to the fat one like in the big non-resizable tanks.

EDIT: about the texture, you guys should boundle the DDS plugin and use that format. Just used it on my game and converted the textures with the app in the tools forum section and it works flawlessy! Also, how did you make the half black/half white fairing in the OP rocket? I smell fancy PF assembling, but I can't figure the disposition on my own...

Edited by Sage
more commenting!

Isn't TGA unstable in 0.25? I seem to remember everyone switching back to .mbm for this update.

Unfortunately these got changed a while ago when it was a better option, something to investigate now that the release is actually wrapped up. I'll have a look at the DDS loader too.

Bug report!: Using revert to launch makes the VA pod have some form of rescaling glitch.

Oh nuts I thought I'd ironed that one out, I remember it happening with TweakScale installed?

Also, how did you make the half black/half white fairing in the OP rocket? I smell fancy PF assembling, but I can't figure the disposition on my own...

Yep, there is a lower fairing made from the black parabolic and the upper made from the white parabolic meeting at two back-to-back fairing rings in the middle

Edited by NoMrBond