Post your Star Ideas Here!

_Augustus_

So, I am curious about the mod Kerbal Warp Drive, and the developer said maybe a starmap could be used for it. In addition to that I'm rendering the Kerbal universe in the simulator Celestia with stars from StarSystems, random old forum posts like the Vendela system, Planet Factory packs, and every planet I can find. I'll post a video of it all when I can.

So, if you want, post:

A: Name of the star

B: Spectral classification

C: Radius (Relative to Kerbol)

D: Planets/moons, perhaps?

(E): Distance from Kerbol

Edited by _Augustus_

Name of star - Sol

Spectral Classification - G2V

Radius Relative to Kerbol - about the same

Planets / moons - 8 planets (4 rocky, 4 gas giants) - one called Earth which is a lot like laythe but a lot less water - and some strange pink ugly aliens perhaps.

Name of star - Sol

Spectral Classification - G2V

Radius Relative to Kerbol - about the same

Planets / moons - 8 planets (4 rocky, 4 gas giants) - one called Earth which is a lot like laythe but a lot less water - and some strange pink ugly aliens perhaps.

Not funny.

I'm not doing Sol.

Name: Oblok

Class: O9

Radius: 2 Kerbol radii

Planets: Star Rolg (very close), 3 rocky planets (hot + big atmosphere, watery w/ large islands, water-ice land w/ methane oceans), red gas giant w/ 10 moons (gravity assists everywhere!)

Name: Rolg

Class: G0

Radius: 0.5 Kerbol Radius

Planets: Yellow ringed gas giant very close w/ 3 large moons (great for gravity assists), highly elliptical (crossing gas giant's orbit) ice-rock planet w/ volcanic moon

Name: Oblok

Class: O9

Radius: 2 Kerbol radii

Planets: Star Rolg (very close), 3 rocky planets (hot + big atmosphere, watery w/ large islands, water-ice land w/ methane oceans), red gas giant w/ 10 moons (gravity assists everywhere!)

Name: Rolg

Class: G0

Radius: 0.5 Kerbol Radius

Planets: Yellow ringed gas giant very close w/ 3 large moons (great for gravity assists), highly elliptical (crossing gas giant's orbit) ice-rock planet w/ volcanic moon

I love it! I'm changing Rolg to an M-0 star though.

Also, could you perhaps come up with names for the planets and major moons?

Edited by _Augustus_

...And I'm back.

Oblok A blue, bright, and hot O9 star. Is twice the size as Kerbol.

Balok: A hot planet very near Oblok. Has a huge atmosphere, roughly one-and-a-half times the thickness as Eve's. Has a very dark red color from vaporized iron. About the size of Moho, 0.01 KU (Kerbin Units) from Oblok.

Walok: A water planet similar to Laythe and Kerbin, but with a large amount of large islands and a thin atmosphere of CO. Too close to Oblok to have water ice. Eve-size, 10 KU from Oblok.

Meelok: A strange planet near the edge of Oblok's sphere of influence. Is too cold for liquid water, but instead is completely made of methane and water ice. The ice floats on top, creating large rafts of water ice that act as continents on top of a liquid methane ocean and mantle. Around 1.5 Gilly mass, 100 KU from Oblok.

Geelok: A large gas giant within the habitable zone of Oblok (82 KU). Has 10 moons, of which there are many varieties.

• Agee: A heavily cratered moon that is just barely over Geelok's atmosphere. About the size of the Mun.
  • Bagee: A watery moon with no land. Very volcanic, with a sulfurous atmosphere. No intelligent life here.
  • Cagee: A moon with some water within large lakes that span over 100 km. Is volcanic, with a pure CO2 atmosphere. Only plants and omnivorous bacteria live here.
  • Dagee: A dry moon with a scarred surface from an impact that destroyed it completely. Has huge valleys and mountains.
  • Egee: A strange moon with liquid mercury on its surface.
  • Fagee: The perfect moon to live on. Has an oxygen atmosphere, volcanoes, water, and a magnetic field. Strangely, there is no life here.
  • Gagee: A sub-Gilly moon orbiting Fagee. Literally is a ball of rock floating in space.
  • Hagee: A moon about the size of an A-class asteroid. It has a large crater on it's surface with many metals, along with an elliptical orbit around Fagee.
  • Iagee: A pure iron moon orbiting Jagee. Has a dark spot from when impacts on Jagee splattered its surface with carbon.
  • Jagee: A carbon moon orbiting Iagee. Has large metallic bits on its surface from impacts on Iagee.

Rolg: A dark red dwarf star. Has half the radius and mass of Kerbol. Orbits Oblok at 40 KU. It is thought that it is the larger twin of Geelok.

Flolg: A large gas giant within 0.1 KU of Rolg. Is the size of Jool. Has 3 large moons.

• Dalf: A very large metallic moon the size of Kerbin. Contains iron, nickel, gold, platinum, silver, bronze, tin, mercury, aluminum, and other metals. Has seas of mercury.
  • Falf: An Eve-sized ringed ball of rock. The rings were from Ealf, a destroyed moon that got too close.
  • Half: A rather destroyed moon. Actually is half a moon, but gravity made if slump to one side.

Colg: An icy planet that turns into a comet as it passes Flolg's orbit. Apoapsis 10 KU, periapsis 0.05 KU. Has a rocky moon.

• Gloc: A piece of Colg that broke off as Colg melted a bit.

Phew! Lots of writing! :D

...And I'm back.

Oblok A blue, bright, and hot O9 star. Is twice the size as Kerbol.

Balok: A hot planet very near Oblok. Has a huge atmosphere, roughly one-and-a-half times the thickness as Eve's. Has a very dark red color from vaporized iron. About the size of Moho, 0.01 KU (Kerbin Units) from Oblok.

Walok: A water planet similar to Laythe and Kerbin, but with a large amount of large islands and a thin atmosphere of CO. Too close to Oblok to have water ice. Eve-size, 10 KU from Oblok.

Meelok: A strange planet near the edge of Oblok's sphere of influence. Is too cold for liquid water, but instead is completely made of methane and water ice. The ice floats on top, creating large rafts of water ice that act as continents on top of a liquid methane ocean and mantle. Around 1.5 Gilly mass, 100 KU from Oblok.

Geelok: A large gas giant within the habitable zone of Oblok (82 KU). Has 10 moons, of which there are many varieties.

• Agee: A heavily cratered moon that is just barely over Geelok's atmosphere. About the size of the Mun.
  • Bagee: A watery moon with no land. Very volcanic, with a sulfurous atmosphere. No intelligent life here.
  • Cagee: A moon with some water within large lakes that span over 100 km. Is volcanic, with a pure CO2 atmosphere. Only plants and omnivorous bacteria live here.
  • Dagee: A dry moon with a scarred surface from an impact that destroyed it completely. Has huge valleys and mountains.
  • Egee: A strange moon with liquid mercury on its surface.
  • Fagee: The perfect moon to live on. Has an oxygen atmosphere, volcanoes, water, and a magnetic field. Strangely, there is no life here.
  • Gagee: A sub-Gilly moon orbiting Fagee. Literally is a ball of rock floating in space.
  • Hagee: A moon about the size of an A-class asteroid. It has a large crater on it's surface with many metals, along with an elliptical orbit around Fagee.
  • Iagee: A pure iron moon orbiting Jagee. Has a dark spot from when impacts on Jagee splattered its surface with carbon.
  • Jagee: A carbon moon orbiting Iagee. Has large metallic bits on its surface from impacts on Iagee.

Rolg: A dark red dwarf star. Has half the radius and mass of Kerbol. Orbits Oblok at 40 KU. It is thought that it is the larger twin of Geelok.

Flolg: A large gas giant within 0.1 KU of Rolg. Is the size of Jool. Has 3 large moons.

• Dalf: A very large metallic moon the size of Kerbin. Contains iron, nickel, gold, platinum, silver, bronze, tin, mercury, aluminum, and other metals. Has seas of mercury.
  • Falf: An Eve-sized ringed ball of rock. The rings were from Ealf, a destroyed moon that got too close.
  • Half: A rather destroyed moon. Actually is half a moon, but gravity made if slump to one side.

Colg: An icy planet that turns into a comet as it passes Flolg's orbit. Apoapsis 10 KU, periapsis 0.05 KU. Has a rocky moon.

• Gloc: A piece of Colg that broke off as Colg melted a bit.

Phew! Lots of writing! :D

Fagee sounds... disturbing.

I'm changing it to Zagee.

A couple cool things to have are as follows:

Some brown dwarfs, black dwarfs and other "dark stars". (A brown giant or black giant would be downright awesome!)

Some rogue planets, some of which have moons.

I would love to see a few multi-star systems. Including your basic binary system, where the two stars orbit their mutual center of gravity, as well as ones where massive giant stars are orbited by dwarf stars.

As of planets on these, wikipedia has a good list of theoretical planetoid types, but of the ones listed, the items I'd like to see the most are carbon planets, cannonball dwarf planets, and ocean planets.

If someone wants to come up with names and details for these things, be sure to.

Just remember to adjust the scalings to KSP universe (a.k.a. 0.5 length measurement with the same mass)

Edited by Ruedii

A couple cool things to have are as follows:

Some brown dwarfs, black dwarfs and other "dark stars". (A brown giant or black giant would be downright awesome!)

Some rogue planets, some of which have moons.

I would love to see a few multi-star systems. Including your basic binary system, where the two stars orbit their mutual center of gravity, as well as ones where massive giant stars are orbited by dwarf stars.

As of planets on these, wikipedia has a good list of theoretical planetoid types, but of the ones listed, the items I'd like to see the most are carbon planets, cannonball dwarf planets, and ocean planets.

If someone wants to come up with names and details for these things, be sure to.

Just remember to adjust the scalings to KSP universe (a.k.a. 0.5 length measurement with the same mass)

Black dwarfs don't exist yet.

Only one brown giant is known, and it fuses hydrogen.

And I scaled them 10x, except for the star size. Kerbol is 1 solar radius.

Edited by _Augustus_

Something that I would like to point out is that a black hole inside a nebula, as you have it in this starmap, is impossible.

eNwJWb6.png

It would be impossible for a nebula to form from in the same area as black hole, when the future black hole goes supernova, the stellar material is ejected, but quickly pulled back towards the black hole, forming an accretion disk instead of a nebula.

Something that I would like to point out is that a black hole inside a nebula, as you have it in this starmap, is impossible.

http://i.imgur.com/eNwJWb6.png

It would be impossible for a nebula to form from in the same area as black hole, when the future black hole goes supernova, the stellar material is ejected, but quickly pulled back towards the black hole, forming an accretion disk instead of a nebula.

This is KSP, where the stars have the masses of sub-brown dwarfs, the radii of red dwarfs, and the luminosities of orange stars. This is also where you send little green men to space that require no life support.

This game is meant to be realistic, not 100% realistic.

I can have a black hole in a nebula if I want to.

• 2 weeks later...

Star: Proxa. A red dwarf with classification M4 and equatorial radius of 67.000 km. Is located around 1,6 billion km from Kerbol. For comparison; Eeloo is located roughly around 0,1 billion km (or 100 million) from Kerbol.

First planet: Sehera. Orbits the star Proxa at around 1,5 million km distance and is a Venus-esque planet like Eve. Radius is 550 km. Gravity is 0,85 G and atmosphere up to 3,5 bar in the lowest areas. Due to high temperatures (up to 380 degrees Celsius) engines tend to overheat very quickly deep in the atmosphere.

Second planet: Nehelennia. A gas giant with a radius of around 4.000 km and therefore somewhat smaller than Jool. The planet has a somewhat orange color and orbits Proxa at plm. 15 million km.

-Moon of Nehelennia: Sombor. Radius 390 km, gravity 0,5 G and atmosphere up to 0,19 bar in the lowest areas. There is oxygen in the atmosphere, but the thin atmosphere makes flying a plane a rather difficult task. Color of the sky on Sombor is grey to very faint blue. A bleak planet all in all.

-Moon of Nehelennia 2: Spik. Asteroid-type object with radius of around 15 km and 0,007 G gravity. No atmosphere.

-Moon of Nehelennia 3: Tirith. Also asteroid-esque, more potato-shaped. Radius of very rougly 23 km and 0,011 G gravity. No atmosphere.

Very small system all in all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.