KSP does not like diagonals?

I am trying to build a lander with diagonally mounted nacell arms.

There are a ton of problems.

1. Surface mounting parts want to mount at their center, not at the surface of the part.

2. So I fixed this problem by using stand outs, but getting the standouts to form fit results in next-parts that want to mount on the surface mounting side, not on the exterior surface. If I fatten the standout then I can get the next part (a cylinder-modified MK1structural fuselage) to mount on the distal surface of the standout. I have found that I have to get a standout fat enough such that the center to surface distance clearly is exterior to the surface of the radial hub, otherwise the assembler gets confuses and tries to mount the next part on the inward point surface of the standout.

3. Then I get a rocket that looks (in theory with some tinkering) like what I want, but........

4. Launching the rocket results in launch funk. This is the alter ego of the kraken. Instead you are viewing kerbin from orbit, hitting M centers you on sol, and you cannot revert. The situation indicator reads 'orbit'.

5. On return to VAB most of the rocket is missing, the 3 fold axis of symmetry is reduced to 1, all other parts mounted on the radial 'hub' after the standout are missing, all parts on nacell after the nacell header are missing

6. If I remove the cylinder acting as the branch, all hell breaks loose. The nacell head remains, the screen freezes, I can only exit, and when I return there are no parts on the screen.

7. I have tried tinkering with all sorts of things, I placed side nodes on the radial hub but it wont allow symmetry even if symmetry is set. I have tinkered with the attach rules, the position of the attachment node coordinates, etc. No avail, it seems that KSP has a glass ceiling for doing certain assemblies.

:/ that sounds weird, but I'm having trouble understanding what you describe.. pictures?

Before Launch

nDE2B0w07kBuzbyViHU3WoQC194f4sChkneK6T PGWlSPGLMYQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

After Launch:

This is what happens after launch

Stats

Elev = 0

Velocity = 0

Situation Indicator is either Surface or Orbit

The bright orange is the bottom of the capsule, therefore the perspective would be up

The bar is the nacelle arm.

The gratey thing are the remains of the nacelle, only part of the nacelle head mesh remains.

To the back is the attachment point of the nacelle.

The other two arms and nacelle are missing.

i9uEsa5Qb6RJQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Did you try to "trick" the VAB simmetry while building this? I mean: did you build first one of the nacelles, adding engine legs and whatever using a dual simmetry, and just after that when it was ready you made it 3fold? (do not really know if this is clear but I experienced similar problems while building the legs of my Eve lander).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.