add-ons that adds chutes to kerbals

Gfurst

Hey is there a setting I can change somewhere to increase the snapping force required to break a chute?

I am using DRE with FAR and as I read in an earlier post, it is recommended to deploy your chute around 200-250 m/s. However, I have terrible timing and land in the mountains a lot, and it is just not possible sometimes for the capsule to slow itself to 200 ish m/s before smacking into said mountains.

@PringleMan:

Work on your timing. :P

Joking aside, I've found you can usually deploy chutes at up to 300 m/s. You also have some influence over where it comes down even after ditching your propulsion. With FAR, you can use lifting body effects to come down slower/farther away or faster/closer. Just angle your capsule so that the blunt end points a little down to add lift.

...I have terrible timing and land in the mountains a lot...

In addition to MasterTao's advice, I would also suggest using the Trajectories mod. It takes lift and drag forces (both stock and FAR/NEAR) into account based on the descent profile you've picked (default 0 angle-of-attack, which is good for spaceplanes, and usually should be changed to 180 AOA for pods) and puts a big red "X" on the planet where you will land. It's also great for precisely setting up aerocapture maneuvers.

Fellas that is all well and good, but not really what I asked.

See I am even having drogue chutes snap, and that defies the entire point of a drogue chute. And I am not even talking about large stuff, I mean the mk 1 pod with nothing else, coming down from a 100 km orbit with the re-entry pe at about 40km. Drogues will deploy at the default 30 km, then snap at 20 km every time, main chutes will snap right away on deployment unless I deploy at that magical 200 m/s. But that leaves it fully deploying at 300 m ASL, which wont work for pretty much and land-based touch down. Except for maybe over the grasslands.

I am not sure what changed, because this is the same way that I have been doing re-entries for ages.

So, I am taking it that there is not setting I can alter in a CFG somewhere?

Edited by PringleMan

@PringleMan, Also, look at Real Chutes. You can set your predeployment and full deployment altitude. Then, you just arm your parachutes and wait... :)

For your drogues, is the 30km default based on stock or FAR aerodynamics, and with/without DRE? It seems pretty high to me. I'd suggest letting your heatshield do the brunt of the aero-braking, then pop your drogues at the appropriate velocity, and finally your main chutes at the right velocity (I usually deploy my Mk16's at right around 300m/s, which I try to aim for 5km altitude, with a full deploy at 700m).

Edited by madlemur
Didn't realize where the original thread started...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.