[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

OK, call me stupid. What is a reaction wheel's purpose? In fact, what is a reaction wheel? I've put hundreds of things into orbit now, some of which have no business defying gravity, but never used a reaction wheel. Fuel tank and engine gets into space, fuel tank and smaller engine maneuvers it around, RCS fine tunes .... and deals with docking.... Reaction wheels fit into it where?

Reaction wheels adjust attitude without expending propellant. In stock they are quite strong and never saturate, so they generally make RCS obsolete for pointing craft. RO has a better model of them, and the saturable wheels mod makes them more realistic still.

Does anyone have any good solutions for ullage when using RO and Remote Tech? If I'm flying directly I'd simply use some RCS thrusters but Remote Tech's flight computer won't do RCS translation. I tried installing Mechjeb and turning on its "SmartRCS" feature to use RCS when engines are offline, but Remote Tech's flight computer doesn't use that even though it works when flying directly.

And not kOS, the syntax of that language is not something I want to program in.

Speaking of attitude control - pardon me for a silly question, but how to best do this in RO? I'm unable to steer my probes without using RCS (which seems OK from what I've read), but for example during ascent I need to manually fine tune everything since MechJeb tends to flip my rocket over as soon as it tries to take over, and stock SAS autopilot does not work at all...

Does anyone have any good solutions for ullage when using RO and Remote Tech? If I'm flying directly I'd simply use some RCS thrusters but Remote Tech's flight computer won't do RCS translation. I tried installing Mechjeb and turning on its "SmartRCS" feature to use RCS when engines are offline, but Remote Tech's flight computer doesn't use that even though it works when flying directly.

And not kOS, the syntax of that language is not something I want to program in.

I use separation motors for ullage, 1 pair of motors for every main engine ignition I plan on doing.

Speaking of attitude control - pardon me for a silly question, but how to best do this in RO? I'm unable to steer my probes without using RCS (which seems OK from what I've read), but for example during ascent I need to manually fine tune everything since MechJeb tends to flip my rocket over as soon as it tries to take over, and stock SAS autopilot does not work at all...

In the atmosphere, you can use control fins or rely on your engine's gimbal capability. Once in space, RCS thrusters or some sort of reaction wheel can be used. Reaction wheels in RO aren't nearly as strong as stock KSP's reaction wheels, though. They are only viable for small probes.

Edited by jandcando

Mechjebs attitude control doesn't really seem to work, but during ascent stock SAS should work quite well, tho. Mind the 'hold apoapsis' style order seem to be bugged to some degree (there are smaller issues in stock too), so the usual ascent is done by using stock SAS 'hold attitude' and manual control.

I noticed that whenever I go to the VAB, there is a non-RO tab. This is useful and works fine, but the parts kept inside this tab are also dumped into the fuel tanks tab, mixed in with all the fuel tanks regardless of the part's function.

That's an issue with 10.1. It's fixed in git and the fix will be in 10.2

For ascent attitude control I don't have issues with MechJeb. Enable the limit-by-AoA function and you may need to manually set a tf.

For remotetech, I encourage you to post an issue on the repo asking for RCS translation to be added to the flight computer. That's a fairly critical thing, really.

I'm having trouble getting KSP to start up without hanging with RO installed.

With just RO and its dependencies (none of the recommended or suggested mods), KSP hangs during startup while loading RealismOverhaul/Parts/WACCorporal/TinyTim/TinyTim/TinyTim.

When I remove WACCorporal (TinyTim is the only thing in there), it hangs instead while loading Squad/Parts/Engine/MassiveSRB/part/MassiveBooster.

When I remove the RealismOverhaul directory, leaving everything it depends on, the game starts right up.

It's using 1775 MB when it hangs, and continues to use a little bit of CPU.

The last bit of my KSP.log:

[LOG 12:15:49.432] *RF* Loading RFSETTINGS global settings
[ERR 12:15:49.435] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ReflectiveShaderModule'

[LOG 12:15:49.459] [MFS] Loading global settings
[WRN 12:15:49.475] [MFS] Ignored duplicate definition of TANK of type Hydrogen

Please let me know if I can provide any more information to help with debugging this.

By the way, this is on a fresh install of KSP 32-bit on Linux. I started with 64-bit, with all of the recommended mods and some of my own picks, not to mention the huge RSS textures, and whittled it down from there; once I identified RO as a suspect I started from scratch, added the dependencies, launched the game, added RO, and watched it hang. Then I removed RO again and added back in all of the other mods I was originally trying to use, and the game was able to start up (in 32-bit with the small RSS textures, in 64-bit with the huge ones). Obviously, though, that's not a configuration that I want to play - RO is a crucial mod!

I use separation motors for ullage, 1 pair of motors for every main engine ignition I plan on doing.

In the atmosphere, you can use control fins or rely on your engine's gimbal capability. Once in space, RCS thrusters or some sort of reaction wheel can be used. Reaction wheels in RO aren't nearly as strong as stock KSP's reaction wheels, though. They are only viable for small probes.

The thing is even the most simple Sputnik is uncontrollable, even with a reaction wheel installed... Guess I'll just rely an RCS then.

with RO installed.

With just RO and its dependencies (none of the recommended or suggested mods), KSP hangs during startup while loading RealismOverhaul/Parts/WACCorporal/TinyTim/TinyTim/TinyTim.

When I remove WACCorporal (TinyTim is the only thing in there), it hangs instead while loading Squad/Parts/Engine/MassiveSRB/part/MassiveBooster.

I had this issue before. It was because I didn't have the Community Resource Pack although it should come with the CKAN install of RO

Edited by Pronoes

So I finally decided to install this last night figuring I would start a new game as Im sure several of my custom installations and ships would break. I am however confused.

When I start new and go to build a ship the command pod is much larger than the fuel tanks. I can see that I can alter the sizes based on how much fuel they have but Was wondering if this is a base part of the mod or one of the extra installs for it?

Prefer the old method of fuel tank size when building rockets and trying to figure out if I can use realism and the old tank system.

Or is there a way to get rid of parts that dont work with this mod i.e. sock parts that say (Not RO compatible) in their descriptions.

Thanks for any help!

That's an issue with 10.1. It's fixed in git and the fix will be in 10.2

For ascent attitude control I don't have issues with MechJeb. Enable the limit-by-AoA function and you may need to manually set a tf.

For remotetech, I encourage you to post an issue on the repo asking for RCS translation to be added to the flight computer. That's a fairly critical thing, really.

When I try to set the smart ass to prograde my rocket always turns into the opposite directions. That's at least during launches.

Can anyone point me to any information on using kOS with Realism Overhaul?

I want to know if there are any issues to watch for when using the two together.

I also have a problem with kOS. I am attempting to write a script that executes a maneuver node (for circularisation) but when I use "LOCK STEERING TO ..." the ship spins out of control. This happens whatever direction I try to steer to.

Can anyone point me to any information on using kOS with Realism Overhaul?

I want to know if there are any issues to watch for when using the two together.

I also have a problem with kOS. I am attempting to write a script that executes a maneuver node (for circularisation) but when I use "LOCK STEERING TO ..." the ship spins out of control. This happens whatever direction I try to steer to.

Your ship have RCS enabled?

So I finally decided to install this last night figuring I would start a new game as Im sure several of my custom installations and ships would break. I am however confused.

When I start new and go to build a ship the command pod is much larger than the fuel tanks. I can see that I can alter the sizes based on how much fuel they have but Was wondering if this is a base part of the mod or one of the extra installs for it?

Prefer the old method of fuel tank size when building rockets and trying to figure out if I can use realism and the old tank system.

Or is there a way to get rid of parts that dont work with this mod i.e. sock parts that say (Not RO compatible) in their descriptions.

Thanks for any help!

I don't think that RO changes stock fuel tank sizes, but it does change the size of the stock command pods to resemble real life pods. It shouldn't be a problem if you just use procedural tanks, though. With those, you set the dimensions yourself.

All the non-RO parts will be isolated into their own category in the next version of Realism Overhaul, so you won't need to worry about them creating clutter.

Can anyone give me some direction on this issue I've noticed. After launch while still within atmosphere, the craft will spit out whatever gantry object was attached prior to launch as I suppose an exhaust particle. I can only say this happens using procedural solid as I've not tried any other engine yet. But I do see this on my laptop using intel gpu, my desktop using GTX 980 and also in Ubuntu. The objects sometimes will actually cause the vehicle to explode if contact is made.

Anyone seen this? Thanks for you comments and suggestions.

I have a question with the near future engines, i am running realism overhaul and it seems to cause issues. I know with the other engines you need to use RCS or something to move the fuel downward. But i tried this and it did not seem to fix the issue.

My problem is that the engines work fine for a while then just stop running... RCS or other means to apply a force does not help.

KP-XL inductor pulse inductive thruster can start it 2 or 3 times then it stops due to lack of fuel...

liveseaandsky: that sounds like kOS's PID controller doesn't play nice with ships without reaction wheels. RemoteTech had that issue a ways back. Ask them to improve the PID. :)

Thanks Nathan! My ship does have reaction wheels as well and I think I get the same problem even with RCS off, only using the reaction wheels. Just going to double check that.