[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Andrey, as others have mentioned CLS will restrict what you can pass through. In the latest RO is included a procedural crew tunnel that you can use.

CLS also come with a GUI that has a button "Alow Crew Unrestricted Transfers" to allow you to transfer wherever you want if you need to "cheat". See the CLS thread or the CLS wiki for more details.

Actually my problem is with a 1m heat shield so its more than the one command pod. Doing RP-0 too, gonna have to cheat my way through the reentry contract if I can't get shields from the first survivability node to work. No way I can research them in time.

Elderon: Welcome to the forums, and to RO! :)

Please post your log (this thread will show you how). My guess is you might not have the right version of AJE installed, or are missing the Community Resource Pack.,

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

Thank you for the warm welcome. Here is my output_log from the ksp data folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrwqfm4wr82bcdr/output_log.txt?dl=0

No, early sounding rockets are meant to go straight up. They didn't have ANY control in the early rocket age, they were designed to simply go high and fast.

On the other hand, we really could use a later (higher tech) variant, that gives us a tiny bit of avionics, like up to 1t, has EC for 2-3 minutes and is relativelly cheap. Nathan, pretty please! :D

And oh, while we're talking sounding rockets... Could someone give me an advice on "sounding rocket (high)" contracts? Getting a sounding rocket up to 3Mm sounds pretty sick and requires a massive delta-V, i guess... Should these rockets go (mostly) straight up or a east-oriented launch profile would work better? I guess the latter...

Connected Living Space goes wonky on procedural parts, i bet.

Thanks for the reply, so does that mean I can still launch it without?

Secondly, why can't I toggle, or activate any science stuff on any of my probes, or ships?

Thanks for the reply, so does that mean I can still launch it without?

Secondly, why can't I toggle, or activate any science stuff on any of my probes, or ships?

Yes, basic avionics package gives you stage and science control, but not much more (no steering!).

As for science, check if you have a connection (is RemoteTech installed properly?). Also, check your mods for any science related mods that are not part of RP-0, like crowd funded science etc, they might bug your install. Would be best if you'd send us your modlist (if you installed everything via ckan there's an option to export modlist to a txt file). If not, just do a screenshot of your AVC modlist from the loading menu (upper left)

Yes, basic avionics package gives you stage and science control, but not much more (no steering!).

As for science, check if you have a connection (is RemoteTech installed properly?). Also, check your mods for any science related mods that are not part of RP-0, like crowd funded science etc, they might bug your install. Would be best if you'd send us your modlist (if you installed everything via ckan there's an option to export modlist to a txt file). If not, just do a screenshot of your AVC modlist from the loading menu (upper left)

Sure, here's my Ckan Installed mods list (It's all the mods I have installed). http://www.filedropper.com/installedmods

Edit: I removed Crowd Sourced Science, and Dmagic Orbital Science, but if there's anything else on that list, please let me know. Or if those are ok, please let me know that too.

Edited by LadyAthena

I've got everything working, but something strange keeps happening: If I light my booster, wait for thrust to reach 100% and then decouple the launch clamps the engine immediately shuts down with the message 'no ignitions left'. This also happens when trying to light an engine and then detach the previous stage, and seems to only affect some of the engines that are available (The Aerobee sustainer is fine, for example). Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

If you're talking about the Mk1- Pod with its own inbuilt ablator, you shouldn't need one extra shield at all. The Mk1-2 though has a bug with its skin temperature so you need to wait for a fix actually.

Ok so the root of my problem does not seem to be the same as JT's, or the problem is with more parts. I was using the 1 meter heat shield from the earlier tier of heat shields in RP-0. Also whatever problem I'm having the thermal debug color overlay isn't helping because it just shows the whole probe as red from start to finish.

I've got everything working, but something strange keeps happening: If I light my booster, wait for thrust to reach 100% and then decouple the launch clamps the engine immediately shuts down with the message 'no ignitions left'. This also happens when trying to light an engine and then detach the previous stage, and seems to only affect some of the engines that are available (The Aerobee sustainer is fine, for example). Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

It happened to me once when I had an empty gemini capsule on top of the rocket. I still had enough avionics, but didn't work until changed either the root part or from where the rocket was controlled.

Andrey, as others have mentioned CLS will restrict what you can pass through. In the latest RO is included a procedural crew tunnel that you can use.

LadyAthena: I agree the name/description is misleading. It will be fixed for the next release.

Rothank: Yeah, noted. :)

What do you need control for though?

For 3,000km+, Castor-Altair will do it. Otherwise you'll need something like this (3 Baby Sergeant kick stages, spin-stabilized, atop a 5x upgraded-Aerobee-Sustainer core). Note how much lower the gravity losses are for the (high-TWR) solid version, on the order of a km/sec or more.

JT2227, Herrkurt: There appears to indeed be a problem with the Mk1-2 pod and the Deadly Reentry heat shield for it. Use the stock orangeish heat shield that says it's lunar-rated instead.

Regarding the pad, there's some bugs with 1.0.4 heating, and also bugs with how the gauges are calculated.

Elderon: Welcome to the forums, and to RO! :)

Please post your log (this thread will show you how). My guess is you might not have the right version of AJE installed, or are missing the Community Resource Pack.,

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

NathanKell, Unfortunately I have the same problem with that heat shield as well.

Help with RO re-entry? Is there a guide/tutorial or other help with designing ships to survive re-entry in RO? I can survive an LKO re-entry in MK1 pod, but can't seem to find any combo of parts and decent profile to survive a direct lunar re-entry. Shallow re-entry requires 1/2 dozen orbits, a re-entry deep enough to slow down in one attempt = death. Some example craft and flight profiles would be useful. Hopeful Scott Manleys series will cover this soon, but I am too impatient to wait :) Any advice appreciated.

Sure, here's my Ckan Installed mods list (It's all the mods I have installed). http://www.filedropper.com/installedmods

Edit: I removed Crowd Sourced Science, and Dmagic Orbital Science, but if there's anything else on that list, please let me know. Or if those are ok, please let me know that too.

I'll list all of your mods that meddle with science, the top ones listed are most probably the cause of your problem. Try deleting one at a time:

-Crowd Sourced Science

-xScience

-DMagic Orbital Science

Also, all the contract configurator packs (RemoteTech pack, ScanSat pack, KerbinSpaceStation pack etc) are NOT supported by RP-0, these are meant for stock game and progression. U might be able to play with them in a realistic-ish manner, but you really don't need them.

What's more, i remember someone had problems with InterstellarFuelSwitch, it installs by defeault with some other mod and you shouldn't really be using it AFAIK.

You're using both Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb. Sure, you can, but the truth is, i don't think there's anything the KE can do that MJ cant, so you can freely drop the KE.

Spacetux - i can't even find it on google, what's that mod?

Here's my MODLIST for comparison, tho it also is a bit cluttered with stuff that's not really crucial.

LadyAthena: Same response as above the last time someone had a bugged install. Please install *only* the required and recommended (by CKAN) mods for RSS/RO/RP-0, *not* suggested mods let alone anything else. You have a ton of mods in there, a number of which change gameplay, and it's entirely unsurprising things would break.

Nerd1000: Update to the latest RemoteTech release. If the problem persists, post a craft file (but see above for how other things could interfere).

O Nerd: Congrats!

Herrkurt: It's possible something in the most recent DRE broke things, because that shield used to work fine for me.

JT2227: Ditto.

I'll list all of your mods that meddle with science, the top ones listed are most probably the cause of your problem. Try deleting one at a time:

-Crowd Sourced Science

-xScience

-DMagic Orbital Science

Also, all the contract configurator packs (RemoteTech pack, ScanSat pack, KerbinSpaceStation pack etc) are NOT supported by RP-0, these are meant for stock game and progression. U might be able to play with them in a realistic-ish manner, but you really don't need them.

What's more, i remember someone had problems with InterstellarFuelSwitch, it installs by defeault with some other mod and you shouldn't really be using it AFAIK.

You're using both Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb. Sure, you can, but the truth is, i don't think there's anything the KE can do that MJ cant, so you can freely drop the KE.

Spacetux - i can't even find it on google, what's that mod?

Here's my MODLIST for comparison, tho it also is a bit cluttered with stuff that's not really crucial.

Thanks for the response! I already removed crowd source, and Dmagic, it did fix my initial science problem, Xscience is nothing more than a pop up screen to show me science on my module so I don't forget, I don't think that's screwing with anything.

RemoteTech, Scansat, were installed via Ckan automatically for Realistic planet mod, that makes all the planets like our own solar system with much larger planets, etc. Remote Tech makes it so there are plenty of ground installations all around earth for probes. Should I still un install it?

- - - Updated - - -

LadyAthena: Same response as above the last time someone had a bugged install. Please install *only* the required and recommended (by CKAN) mods for RSS/RO/RP-0, *not* suggested mods let alone anything else. You have a ton of mods in there, a number of which change gameplay, and it's entirely unsurprising things would break.

Nerd1000: Update to the latest RemoteTech release. If the problem persists, post a craft file (but see above for how other things could interfere).

O Nerd: Congrats!

Herrkurt: It's possible something in the most recent DRE broke things, because that shield used to work fine for me.

JT2227: Ditto.

Oh, I was under the impression that suggested mods were mods that were okayed to being stable, and could enhance your game if you had space for it, but weren't necessary to run it.

RemoteTech, Scansat, were installed via Ckan automatically for Realistic planet mod, that makes all the planets like our own solar system with much larger planets, etc. Remote Tech makes it so there are plenty of ground installations all around earth for probes. Should I still un install it?

I didn't meant the mods themselves, i meant the Contract Configurator contracts packs, they're at the bottom of your list.

Oh, I was under the impression that suggested mods were mods that were okayed to being stable, and could enhance your game if you had space for it, but weren't necessary to run it.

They are, but in RO without RP-0 (Sandbox mode); RP-0 (career mode) doesn't support them for now, but someday (rather distant future) probably will.

-If you want to try yourself and start your own realistic space program from the scratch (~year 1950 and slooow progress up to '70s)- go for RP-0 with only the required + recommended mods.

-If you want to go full on, Mars expeditions, planet scanning, modern tech etc. dump the RP-0, go RO+RSS only and sandbox mode with as many suggested mods as you like.

RP-0 is soooo much more fun and rewarding than bare RO tho, even without as many mods supported!

Anyway, back to your install: after you decide which option suits you better (sandbox RO+RSS or career RO+RSS+RP-0) you should probably do a clean install via ckan. It's easier than repairing a broken one ;]

I didn't meant the mods themselves, i meant the Contract Configurator contracts packs, they're at the bottom of your list.

They are, but in RO without RP-0 (Sandbox mode); RP-0 (career mode) doesn't support them for now, but someday (rather distant future) probably will.

-If you want to try yourself and start your own realistic space program from the scratch (~year 1950 and slooow progress up to '70s)- go for RP-0 with only the required + recommended mods.

-If you want to go full on, Mars expeditions, planet scanning, modern tech etc. dump the RP-0, go RO+RSS only and sandbox mode with as many suggested mods as you like.

RP-0 is soooo much more fun and rewarding than bare RO tho, even without as many mods supported!

Anyway, back to your install: after you decide which option suits you better (sandbox RO+RSS or career RO+RSS+RP-0) you should probably do a clean install via ckan. It's easier than repairing a broken one ;]

UUUGGGHHHH I was afraid you'd say that lol Thanks for the info ^.^

I have been struggling with using my RCS the last few days and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the issues I see. My ASAS does not really function correctly, any directional, prograde, retrograde etc. ASAS settings will not change the orientation of the craft as expected. My RCS also fires all by itself. The RCS wants to orient it on the horizon and will fire the RCS even with ASAS completely turned off. I tried without Mechjeb and with the dev version of Mechjeb, no change. Any ideas?

Edit: It seems to be only the pitch axis that is effected. Yaw and Roll seem to be completely uneffected.

Edit2: Turns out it was FAR flight assistance. Why that even works in space is beyond me. This was a couple hours of frustration grr.

Edited by Trolllception

Help with RO re-entry? Is there a guide/tutorial or other help with designing ships to survive re-entry in RO? I can survive an LKO re-entry in MK1 pod, but can't seem to find any combo of parts and decent profile to survive a direct lunar re-entry. Shallow re-entry requires 1/2 dozen orbits, a re-entry deep enough to slow down in one attempt = death. Some example craft and flight profiles would be useful. Hopeful Scott Manleys series will cover this soon, but I am too impatient to wait :) Any advice appreciated.

There are special lunar graded heat shields. Are you using those? If not, try them.

SKGaming: Welcome! :)

Need more info than that, please follow the instructions here to post your log (after force-closing KSP after the hang).

marrioman13: MM errors are usually ignorable; the Tantares configs will be fixed when Niemand303 has a chance. :)

Hi, I recently added realism overhaul and I can't seem to get my rockets to do anything. I'm thinking it's because of remote tech. Any clue how I'm supposed to launch my first rocket? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Using the whole RO package with RP-0. I just flew a plane with radial chutes mach 2 at 13km alt. The chutes, which I thought most likely to have problems, and everything else were fine, no heating or over-stressing, but the space plane type cockpit rated for sub-orbital and gentle LEO was on the verge of critical overheat. What's happening?