[0.25] Wet Wings - cramming fuel into every last corner of your craft!

swankidelic

NOTICE: There's a previous mod that does the same thing as Wet Wings, but better. Check out FuelWings instead!

The engineers at Super Neato Technologies, Inc have been working hard to maximize the efficiency of their aircraft. One engineer had the audacity to question the necessity of huge, clunky fuel tank fuselages. After a firing for thinking TOO far outside the box, the engineer was subsequently re-hired on the grounds of "it's so crazy, it just might work!" By adding fuel tanks to aircraft wings, Super Neato is able to create aircraft and spacecraft with higher precision and balance than ever before.

9y2PrKX.jpg

Wet Wings is simply a ModuleManager config that adds fuel resources to stock wings. Wet Wings also uses the Firespitter plugin instead of stock config for nicer modifications. CrossfeedEnable is necessary to use the resources in radially-mounted parts.

Get it at KerbalStuff! Download removed =( Check out FuelWings instead!

To install, just copy the contents of the archive's GameData folder to your own KSP's GameData folder. To use, right click on a wing part in the VAB or SPH and use the Next/Previous Tank Setup buttons to cycle through available fuel types.

Upcoming features: I'll soon be adding support for B9 wings and certain Firespitter wings. Please post suggestions for other wing sets to address, as well as thoughts on fuel amounts and game balance and such. I look forward to everyone's feedback!

Credit and muchas gracias go to ialdabaoth and sarbian, Snjo, and NathanKell for creating their excellent plugins and allowing me to get my toes wet in modding. Thanks, guys <3

The current Wet Wings-enable parts and their available fuel tank types are:

[TABLE=class: outer_border, width: 750]

[TR]

[TD]Part name[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Resource Amount[/TD]

[TD]LiquidFuel[/TD]

[TD=align: center]LiquidFuel and Oxidizer[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Monopropellant[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Swept Wings[/TD]

[TD=align: center]150[/TD]

[TD=align: center]X[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wing Connector Type A[/TD]

[TD=align: center]100[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wing Connector Type B[/TD]

[TD=align: center]100[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wing Connector Type C[/TD]

[TD=align: center]50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wing Connector Type D[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wing Connector Type E[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Delta Wing[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Small Delta Wing[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wing Strake[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Structural Wing Type A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Structural Wing Type B[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Structural Wing Type C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Structural Wing Type D[/TD]

[TD=align: center]12.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Swept Wing Type A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Swept Wing Type B[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tail Fin[/TD]

[TD=align: center]33[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Standard NC[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8.5[/TD]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Aerodynamic Nose Cone[/TD]

[TD=align: center]66.667[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Protective Rocket Nose MK7[/TD]

[TD=align: center]533.333[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NCS Adapter[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15.559[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FL-A10 Adapter[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30.544[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rockomax Brand Adapter[/TD]

[TD=align: center]977.387[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tail Connector[/TD]

[TD=align: center]180[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by swankidelic

Was wondering when this would come along.

Thanks for implementing it, I'm gonna wait for B9 as well, but will be sure to keep an eye on it. I am however also curious as to how this plays with FAR, I'm sure this is a chain of echoes to follow, but maybe include it in your description whether it is compatible yet or not.

I'm confused, did you just rip off tortoises' fuel wings mod? Cuz this is exactly the same thing. . .

[0.25]FuelWings - Add fuel to your stock & B9 wings ! - v2.0 11/9/14

Just asking

Edit- forgot link http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97139-0-25-FuelWings-Add-fuel-to-your-stock-B9-wings-%21-v2-0-11-9-14

I'd say this one is more extensive than tortoises' since it appears to allow oxidizer and monoprop in the wings too. Also, all the fuel values differ from the Fuel Wings mod. Looks like I might be swapping this mod in place of tortoises'.

Are these set up to work with FAR?

The mod certainly works with FAR. I haven't changed any aerodynamic properties of the parts or physics code, just resources. This does affect the mass of a part because of the way the Firespitter plugin works, but I have tested this with FAR installed and saw no problems. The screenshot in the OP was taken with FAR, as a matter of fact!

I've also tested this with TweakScale and everything scales with the part size as well, if anyone's curious.

I'm confused, did you just rip off tortoises' fuel wings mod? Cuz this is exactly the same thing. . .

Just asking

Edit- forgot link http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97139-0-25-FuelWings-Add-fuel-to-your-stock-B9-wings-%21-v2-0-11-9-14

Oh, wow, I didn't realize. If I copied tortoises' work it's unintentional. This was an idea I had kicking around for a couple of months, and when I had the time to work on it I forgot to check. Mea cupla =(

I'll just update the OP to point to tortoises' thread and close this one later tonight. Sorry guys!

I'd say this one is more extensive than tortoises' since it appears to allow oxidizer and monoprop in the wings too. Also, all the fuel values differ from the Fuel Wings mod. Looks like I might be swapping this mod in place of tortoises'.

tortoise is pretty much using the same implementation as I am, I think. It wouldn't be difficult for tortoise's mod to support those resources as well. Additionally, I'm not sure how balanced the fuel capacities are. It's very likely that tortoise's numbers are more balanced than mine.

Just asking

Its not exactly the same thing, and you could have worded that much more politely.

Wow, does this mod actually make nose cones useful? Given that the nose cones have drag of just 0.1 instead of 0.2, if they're full of fuel they should have less drag than the equivalent cylindrical tank.

Nose cones have a use now. Even in stock nose cones have some affect now.

It looks like FuelWings actually uses Modular Fuel Tanks instead of Firespitter for this sort of thing. MFT allowed me to add LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, Monopropellant and even Xenon Gas in customizable combinations through its GUI. Which is actually pretty nice. I actually think that's a better implementation than mine. There's even a shortcut to instantly do 100% LF.

So I'm gonna go ahead and recommend FuelWings over mine. It supports B9 wings, even. Since the only thing Wet Wings offers is fueled stock nose cones, I can offer a way to add nose cone support to FuelWings.

The location of FuelWing's critical file is located in Kerbal Space Program/GameData/Fuel Wings/ on the file is FW.cfg. You can open it in Notepad, and copy paste these lines to the end. Save it and restart KSP.

@PART[standardNoseCone]:FOR[FuelWings]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCrossFeed
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 8.5
type = Fuselage
}
}

@PART[noseCone]:FOR[FuelWings]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCrossFeed
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 67
type = Fuselage
}
}

@PART[rocketNoseCone]:FOR[FuelWings]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCrossFeed
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 400
type = Fuselage
}
}

I'll also suggest to Tortoise to add the same to his or her config.

Edited by swankidelic

I appreciate your work -- and also your candor in recommending the "other" mod instead. Please don't let this discourage you! I'm sure there is plenty by way of fuel-in-parts features that could be useful beyond just wings. Can p-wing support be implemented?

Thank you for apologizing and planning to take adequate actions to resolve the issue.

But this is more useful than tortoises version. Being able to stick monoprop and oxidizer is definitely useful.

And Jacob, since version 1.8 of FuelWings you have the ability to put whatever fuel combination you like into the wings.

I appreciate your work -- and also your candor in recommending the "other" mod instead. Please don't let this discourage you! I'm sure there is plenty by way of fuel-in-parts features that could be useful beyond just wings. Can p-wing support be implemented?

Ghandi said, we must be the change we wish to see in the world, right? I do have other mods I want to make, so I'll just move on. I'm just glad this one worked on basically the first try =)

Wet Wings was only intended to be a simple ModuleManager config file. I think, in order to add resources to Procedural Wings wings, the implementation needs to be more involved and it's waaay outside my ability right now. There's some discussion about it over in the FuelWings thread, though.

Rare to find such a humble and honest person on an internet forum these days. Props to you Swankidelic.

When you get your next mod out, and are ready for the community to play with it, send me a message and I'll do a nice video spotlight for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.