[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Any chance in the future you could give all the warp rings some kind of animation?. like the ones your still making will have a rotation animation. maybe the current big one could have like blue energy moving on its surface?. (just an idea)

Anything is possible, but will probably let those models be for now as I have a pretty full plate.

An MM patch could be made to change the requirements for EM production to Karborundum pretty simply that way when new parts come out you don't have to change any values on the part itself over and over as it is redistributed

@PART[uSI_WarpDrive*]:HAS[@MODULE[REGO_ModuleResourceConverter]]

{

@MODULE[REGO_ModuleResourceConverter]

{

@RecieveInputs=Karborundum,X

{

}

Just replace X with whatever amount of Karborundum that you think should equal 1 EM and tada.

Edit: Not sure if that module is just your own invention for the warp drives RoverDude or if it is shared by other parts so I will correct this if other parts use that module.

Edit 2: There it's fixed to only do the warp drives so no problems later with regolith. Unless RoverDude decides to do modules to produce EM there is only a need to target the warp drives themselves.

Edited by Serino

An MM patch could be made to change the requirements for EM production to Karborundum pretty simply that way when new parts come out you don't have to change any values on the part itself over and over as it is redistributed

@PART

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[REGO_ModuleResourceConverter]]

{

@MODULE[REGO_ModuleResourceConverter]

{

@RecieveInputs=Karborundum,X

{

}

Just replace X with whatever amount of Karborundum that you think should equal 1 EM and tada.

Edit: Not sure if that module is just your own invention for the warp drives RoverDude or if it is shared by other parts so I will correct this if other parts use that module.

The Regolith converter module is going to become the standard generic converter across the entire USI ecosystem. Definitely at least add a check for EM as an output.

Charging the warp drive with EC's works pretty well for KSPI.....

I do think it charges way to fast and there seems to be a bug most likely game related that once you pass a few thousand EC/s point it just jumps to 1EM/s charging.

I dont see a need to tie it down by forcing a Karborundum dependency for charging. This will only slow or annoy players but eventually they will reach a point where they have so much Karborundum they wont care.

RE the EC issue - are you generating under warp? That uses different rules.

Nope, I have found that if I have enough solar panels or a reactor that puts out 2k+ EC/s I can make it go to 1EM/s. I can activate an NFT reactor and once it gets past about 1.5k EC/s that EM/s will jump from like 0.18 to 1.

I think Fractal_UK ran into something similar early on, its why he uses his own power resources.

Nope, I have found that if I have enough solar panels or a reactor that puts out 2k+ EC/s I can make it go to 1EM/s. I can activate an NFT reactor and once it gets past about 1.5k EC/s that EM/s will jump from like 0.18 to 1.

I think Fractal_UK ran into something similar early on, its why he uses his own power resources.

It sounds like KSP is running out of digits so its rounding up the 0.18 to 1.0.

Side note. With an FTT reactor I'm seeing correct behavior with EC usage and exotic matter generation (which is easy to check since I have a 10K/sec EC to make one EM, and an FTT reactor generates 10K ec/sec, so I see my batteries maintain equilibrium (I intentionally let them drain halfway down), with exactly one EM/sec being generated.

Ok I edited my post for an MM patch for the warp drives. As I said in the edit notes unless RoverDude decides to have modules that produce EM there is no need to do anything other than target the warp drives themselves for edit.

I do agree with RoverDude though the EC requirement is plenty to ensure that you have to plan for interplanetary voyages but I personally think it should start with 0 EM. It makes more sense than having it full. Unless we do some handwaving about the way the EM is used that much negative matter would cause many crafts to be experience acceleration away from the planet due to gravity.

I mean, let's be honest here. The only difference between starting with zero EM and starting with a charged drive is a player hitting the warp key for about five seconds ;)

It does seem odd that it was requested, for the sake of button pressing - actually clicking and waiting with or without warping time I would consider excitement building.

You finally get the thing into orbit after saving all your career mode pennies and hit the required orbital altitude and hit the button... ~ooh - cant wait~ ...watching for the exact moment your exotic matter hits 100% :D

Or (like I did)... charge it up to 1% and get too excited... and warp... then watch fireworks!! - lol

Ultimately, either way - I really like the drives with or without the preloading of exotic matter :)

Edited by Deadpan110
Added vid of Jebadiah, Bill and Bob!!

At least from my testing, It looks like this mod is incompatible with K+. The velocity goes to 0 and the game hangs then crashes when a ship with K+ parts leaves/enters a new soi.

You're having an issue separate from either of those mods. K+ has no plugins. Karbonite does have a plugin, but it's pretty much resource and converter stuff. Completely different converter is used on this drive. Also, it's developed and tested on a box with my entire constellation installed.

That being said I'll do some SOI tests as I have, on rare occasion, seen some log spam with SOI changes (from KSP not from my plugin).

To help me out... do you have a MechJeb part on the ship?

I mean, let's be honest here. The only difference between starting with zero EM and starting with a charged drive is a player hitting the warp key for about five seconds ;)
In most cases in an otherwise bone-stock install. But if you've got things in play like life-support, time constrained contracts, or even an out-of-fuel ship on an impact course, suddenly time isn't free any more.

You're having an issue separate from either of those mods. K+ has no plugins. Karbonite does have a plugin, but it's pretty much resource and converter stuff. Completely different converter is used on this drive. Also, it's developed and tested on a box with my entire constellation installed.

That being said I'll do some SOI tests as I have, on rare occasion, seen some log spam with SOI changes (from KSP not from my plugin).

To help me out... do you have a MechJeb part on the ship?

I do not have mechjeb installed. With further testing I found that a ship with no karbonite or K+ parts some will have a velocity of 0 when changing sois. I'll do some more testing when I get home and see if it generated any crash logs.

I do not have mechjeb installed. With further testing I found that a ship with no karbonite or K+ parts some will have a velocity of 0 when changing sois. I'll do some more testing when I get home and see if it generated any crash logs.

What mods do you have installed Shimitty, I have this problem to but so far I have been unable to locate the offending mod.

What mods do you have installed Shimitty, I have this problem to but so far I have been unable to locate the offending mod.

Astronomer's visual pack: Edge of Oblivion

Fine Print

Hot Rockets

Karbonite

Karbonite Plus

Texture Replacer

Atmospheric Trojectories

Warp Drive Mod (obviously)

I have also just noticed this and can't see where the problem originates.

(velocity dropped to 0.0m/s after dropping out of warp on my way from Laythe to Minmus)

Most of RoverDude's code has methods of catching errors so I think it is unlikey the cause but could possibly be some other mod getting confused.

Included are some snippits of the log just after the craft got focus (although these errors came up time and time again before the eventual game freeze).

[LOG 17:59:15.274] CHECKING BUBBLE 3
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening cupola ([DP] Warp Util MK1)
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening RTLongAntenna2
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening RTShortAntenna1
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening mumech.MJ2.AR202
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening parachuteRadial
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening parachuteRadial
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.d.Hub.Octocore
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.Wedge.Food
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.Wedge.Food
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.m.Wedge.Oxygen
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.m.Wedge.Oxygen
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.q.Wedge.Water
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.q.Wedge.Water
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.Wedge.KASContainer
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening US.Wedge.KASContainer
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Stiffening handle type1
[LOG 17:59:15.299] [WARP] Error in OnFixedUpdate - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

~~snip~~

[LOG 17:59:41.248] setting new dominant body: the Sun
FlightGlobals.mainBody: Jool
[LOG 17:59:41.248] Vessel cupola ([DP] Warp Util MK1) velocity resumed. Reference body: Sun vel: [4195.64513878013, 93.299426363486, -1062.51299723509]
[LOG 17:59:41.263] dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: NaN, M: NaN, T: NaN
[LOG 17:59:41.263] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: NaN
[LOG 17:59:41.263] dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: NaN, M: NaN, T: NaN
[LOG 17:59:41.263] nearestTT is NaN! t1: NaN, t2: NaN, FEVp: NaN, SEVp: NaN
[EXC 17:59:41.264] ArithmeticException: NAN
System.Math.Sign (Double value)
Orbit.solveEccentricAnomalyExtremeEcc (Double M, Double ecc, Int32 iterations)
Orbit.getRelativePositionAtT (Double T)
Orbit.getPositionAtT (Double T)
Orbit.getPositionAtUT (Double UT)
Orbit.SolveClosestApproach (.Orbit p, .Orbit s, System.Double& UT, Double dT, Double threshold, Double MinUT, Double MaxUT, Double epsilon, Int32 maxIterations, System.Int32& iterationCount)
PatchedConics.CalculatePatch (.Orbit p, .Orbit nextPatch, Double startEpoch, .SolverParameters pars, .CelestialBody targetBody)
PatchedConicSolver.Update ()
[LOG 17:59:41.360] dT is NaN! tA: 3.14159266592506, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN
[LOG 17:59:41.360] dT is NaN! tA: 3.14159266592506, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN
[LOG 17:59:41.360] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: 3506637.76100203
[LOG 17:59:41.360] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: 3506637.76100203
[LOG 17:59:41.360] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: NaN

~~snip~~

[LOG 17:59:41.449] Tac.FuelBalanceController[FFE7683E][1713.16]: Rebuilding resource lists.
[LOG 17:59:41.463] nearestTT is NaN! t1: 0, t2: 0, FEVp: NaN, SEVp: NaN
[LOG 17:59:41.463] problem!
[NaN, NaN, NaN] - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - NaN - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - 0
[LOG 17:59:41.463] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: NaN
[LOG 17:59:41.463] nearestTT is NaN! t1: 0, t2: 0, FEVp: NaN, SEVp: NaN

~~snip~~

[LOG 18:01:32.354] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 18:01:32.387] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 18:01:32.420] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 18:01:32.449] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 18:01:32.483] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 18:01:32.510] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 18:01:55.669] dT is NaN! tA: 0.0311423527127815, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN
[LOG 18:01:55.669] dT is NaN! tA: 3.17273501863784, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN
[LOG 18:01:55.682] FF: EventObserver:: checkArchivements for vessel state
[LOG 18:01:55.682] FF: EventObserver:: checkArchivements done

I have a lot of mods so its even harder to trace, ones possibly relevant in the above include:

• USI complete released set
  • TAC Life Support
  • TAC Fuel Balancer
  • NEAR <-- pretty sure that is very verbose about NaN
  • Final Frontier <-- the last item in the log before the game froze
  • Atmospheric Trajectories
  • Engineer Redux
  • MechJeb <-- always the latest dev version
  • Remotetech <-- parts only, the dll was removed when I hit 60 craft as it was causing the tracking station to lock up

Astronomer's visual pack: Edge of Oblivion

Fine Print

Hot Rockets

Karbonite

Karbonite Plus

Texture Replacer

Atmospheric Trojectories

Warp Drive Mod (obviously)

The only ones we share in common are the Karbonite, Karbonite Plus and Ward Drive.

I have also just noticed this and can't see where the problem originates.

(velocity dropped to 0.0m/s after dropping out of warp on my way from Laythe to Minmus)

Most of RoverDude's code has methods of catching errors so I think it is unlikey the cause but could possibly be some other mod getting confused.

I have a lot of mods so its even harder to trace, ones possibly relevant in the above include:

• USI complete released set
  • TAC Life Support
  • TAC Fuel Balancer
  • NEAR <-- pretty sure that is very verbose about NaN
  • Final Frontier <-- the last item in the log before the game froze
  • Atmospheric Trajectories
  • Engineer Redux
  • MechJeb <-- always the latest dev version
  • Remotetech <-- parts only, the dll was removed when I hit 60 craft as it was causing the tracking station to lock up

USI, TAC Life, TAC Fuel, FAR, Mechjeb

I have managed to continue playing my save, I tend to not fly in any of the SOI's for very long and I usually stop warping just short of the planets SOI and do most of my orbit repair there then let my craft fall into the SOI and finish my burns.

I have mostly just stuck around kerbin snatching the roids for K+.

The odd bit is that I play with my full constellation, and have been running around using the atmospheric cutoff to hop back and forth between Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus (point at planet/moon, accellerate till you suddenly have your engines cut).

The odd bit is that I play with my full constellation, and have been running around using the atmospheric cutoff to hop back and forth between Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus (point at planet/moon, accellerate till you suddenly have your engines cut).

Leave Kerbins SOI and go to the Suns SOI then come back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.