[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Ha!

Great work Rover! I still prefer KSPI's implementation (if only for having to develop fission, fusion, AP, plasma, and THEN warp drive so I feel like I've "earned" it), but this is a fluid, FTL solution for the stockalike-minded KSP'er.

On the vein of fantastical technologies for KSP, ever consider a matching plasma thruster (seperate from the drive) or a cryostasis pod? I'd love to see your take on that...

/RoverDude's Stellar Venture Propulsion Technology Bazaar anyone?

Since your going to obviously get alot of questions on this, just look at the last few pages, how hard would it be to make a control menu & code in a dynamic option? So maybe have a toolbar menu on the Space Center Screen (like TAC does) and let the player choose between Fixed (Intended) and a Variable (Experimental). Then based on that setting add a few more tweakable parameters to the part? Then just tell everyone that you don't support any graphical or explosive glitches from the variable version... but its still there for ppl who want to try it.

Makes me wonder if you could use something similar to Procedural Fairings to "build" your warp bubble on the fly as well :P

Hard enough that I have no plans on doing it ;)

RoverDude, I noticed the drive does not use Exotic Matter when enabled but the throttle is zero. Shouldn't there be some fuel usage?

Also is it possible to use the xenon thrusters separately? Would reduce the need for extra engines on lighter low part craft....

Zero fuel usage is normal, the two bits are tied together, and coding for a second engine module would likely be more trouble than its worth.

Ha!

Great work Rover! I still prefer KSPI's implementation (if only for having to develop fission, fusion, AP, plasma, and THEN warp drive so I feel like I've "earned" it), but this is a fluid, FTL solution for the stockalike-minded KSP'er.

On the vein of fantastical technologies for KSP, ever consider a matching plasma thruster (seperate from the drive) or a cryostasis pod? I'd love to see your take on that...

/RoverDude's Stellar Venture Propulsion Technology Bazaar anyone?

The entire point was something stand alone - and it's still at the very far right hand side of the CTT tech tree, so assuming you're also using NFT, etc. you will go through a lot of tech to get to this.

I personally like the bubble size restriction. By necessity of how you are containing the negative matter/energy you would build a ring and space time would only be warped near that ring, especially since the ring would only be able to contain a certain amount of matter/energy safely preventing unlimited size.

Hello RoverDude.

I am not quite sure. I might have a bug to report. I think its related to RSS 6.4x.

The warp drive works fine, but if I go back to KSC, I can't select the building anymore. Or, if I roll back to launch or VAB, the launch pad have no collision anymore and the rocked go right trough it and "land" on the real ground.

Does any other RSS 6.4x user have a similar bug?

Oh, I also have a quick question. Would it be possible to had a MinAltitude to regular engine? I would like to limit one of my OP engine to Solar orbit.

i have some practical operation questions.

how does this work with various "ship" configurations i.e. if i slapped this on a space station does the bubble expand to cover the ship no matter the size/shape?

how does this effect the physics of the ship normal propulsion puts stresses on docking ports and joints does this ignore the normal physics of the game?

does this work as lifter propulsion from ground to orbit? or are there some rules against using it?

i have some practical operation questions.

how does this work with various "ship" configurations i.e. if i slapped this on a space station does the bubble expand to cover the ship no matter the size/shape?

how does this effect the physics of the ship normal propulsion puts stresses on docking ports and joints does this ignore the normal physics of the game?

does this work as lifter propulsion from ground to orbit? or are there some rules against using it?

It is a set shape, you need to build your ship to fit the bubble. Different sized warp drives are coming soon. You also cannot use it under 500km according to what I have read, and it needs a ton of power.

0.0.5 is up!!!

NOTE: You need to clear out your current WarpDrive folder before installing this!

Adjusted top speed to 175% lightspeed. You can always extend this via config, but the chances of horrible things increases exponentially.

Some code cleanup

Tweaked config settings - Altitude is now a multiple of the orbiting body's radius, etc.

Fixed model size in VAB (you can now see it)

New warp bubble effect :)

Added a new, 0.625m form factor drive. Also foldable.

Will give it a try in the morning, been having issues keeping my craft together for a voyage to Eeloo, after 3 designs and 2 dozen attempts at different speeds I called it quits for a while.

Sadly I think Unity is the main cause and its not something that will get fixed soon if ever.

Will give it a try in the morning, been having issues keeping my craft together for a voyage to Eeloo, after 3 designs and 2 dozen attempts at different speeds I called it quits for a while.

Sadly I think Unity is the main cause and its not something that will get fixed soon if ever.

A pic would help - I've had some very stable designs (plus some new tweaks in the current version).

0.0.5 is up!!!

NOTE: You need to clear out your current WarpDrive folder before installing this!

Adjusted top speed to 175% lightspeed. You can always extend this via config, but the chances of horrible things increases exponentially.

Some code cleanup

Tweaked config settings - Altitude is now a multiple of the orbiting body's radius, etc.

Fixed model size in VAB (you can now see it)

New warp bubble effect :)

Added a new, 0.625m form factor drive. Also foldable.

That is one heavy 0.625m part :confused:

Is the new 0.625m engine supposed to weigh the same (8.5t) as the 2.5m one?

Edited by hazens1

it just looks like it would create rocket instability, so when i say more far friendly im not implying it isnt already. just something that might be collapsible for orbital insertion for example. which is wholly unnecessary if my assumption about rocket instability is wrong

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.