Female original three possible names

I found this a while ago on slashdot:

Weekend Diversion: Had NASA believed in merit: The terrible injustice of Jerrie Cobb, who deserved to be the first female astronaut, yet never made it to space at all.

So I'd have to nominate Jerrie.

I'd also nominate Amelia, but I reckon more people know where I'm coming from with that one.

Edited by pxi

I like your others, but I can also guarantee that this one will get corrupted into "Barbie", which is probably not the desired association.

Barbie has already been an astronaut, so it would certainly lose originality points.

51GPrp2eKeL._SY300_.jpg

Jeb/Bob/Bill are not exactly the names of famous astronauts, so naming and prospective 3 females after famous female astronauts seems...off.

Squad should of course include some famous female names in the proper names section, as they did for the males HERE, but the 3 should be squad originals, or at the least named after the celestial goddesses of long dead civilizations.

umm... my pick for 3 names. (that is what I would pick today as it can change on a whim)

- Skye (a fitting name for an astronaut, wouldn't you agree ?)

Scott Manley would probably love this.

- - - Updated - - -

This is probably relevant.

EDIT: Forgot this video is slightly nsfw language. Search "Smurfette Principal" and be prepared to hear a small bit of inappropriate language.

Just a thought here; isn't the astronaut limit in the tier 1 astronaut complex 5?

Introducing 3 new starting kerbals wouldn't work out, it'd surpass the limit (unless, of course, it's changed, which is perfectly possible)

Just sayin' gameplay balance wise, starting with the max amount of kerbonauts (especially if hiring requires rep/funds in the future) could be... troublesome, from a Career mode standpoint.

Sally (Ride)

as for other names, I like the oddball kerbal names best.

Names are randomly generated with prefixes and suffixes. Suffixes are easier to start with:

a

ana

ara

ava

entina

ia

ie

ina

ine

ita

lana

ova

uki

y

Some prefix ideas:

M

Oliv

Svet

Val

Tam

Dam

Mar

K

Sam

S

Barb

Kath

Beth

Edited by tater

Isn't it possible that they are reproduce asexually, or come out of the ground like little green space-obsessed plants? Has anybody met Jebs Mother?

What is the mysterious goo? I always thought that was green.

Somebody should build an incubation chamber for the goo so that you can regrow Kerbals

That has been the official story ever since KSP began. However, due to a combination of community pressure and the fact that Kerbals are, essentially, human analogues (much like Duna is a Mars analogue), it's long since been changed to "they're asexual... until we get around to getting female kerbals done reasonably well."

Isn't it possible that they are reproduce asexually, or come out of the ground like little green space-obsessed plants? Has anybody met Jebs Mother?

Well Squad said that they're adding female kerbals at some point in the future so I assume that there are two sexes.

Or three? :D

Actually, there are seventeen and a half.

Kerbal sexuality is confusing, which is why there are so many volunteers to be launched on really long, lonely voyages to completely desolate places where you might not ever come back. 'cause it's better than family reunions.

Man this really needs to happen. I could see in an update or two someone taking the time to make kerbals unique looking. Kind of a guess who thing with different hair, beards, glasses etc. that would be randomly placed for new recruits. Suit color should show a kerbal's core discipline and maybe level rank with stripes. I don't see a reason to make them gender assigned.

• 4 weeks later...

So, the female Pilot is Valentina, and is thus the distaff counterpart to Jebidiah. If she's the only female Orange Suit, then she'll be the "token female teammate" and that would be a real shame. In the spirit of inclusiveness, I would encourage Squad to give Bill and Bob female counterparts as well. But what would their names be? We all know Bill, Bob, and Jeb are the names of characters HarvesteR and his friends made up when they were young, and don't necessarily have any meaning beyond that. But with the name of the first official female being that of one of the important names in space aviation, there's a precedent and an opportunity to use these names to celebrate contributions to the STEM* fields by women.

The first names that come to my mind when I think of a famous scientist and an engineer are Marie Curie and Admiral Grace Hopper. If these names are unfamiliar to you, I'd encourage you to look them up (EDIT: I saved you the trouble and just linked them). I promise I'll be doing the same with whatever names you suggest; I posted this suggestion in part because I wish to be more aware of this as well. Neither were involved with aviation or space, but all fields should be open here. These names also have the advantage of sounding normal enough (to American ears, at least) to give us the name set Marie/Grace/Valentina, which fits the same "normal, normal, odd" naming pattern of Bob/Bill/Jebidiah. They're not the most common names like Bill and Bob are, but Jebidiah and Valentina are so uncommon to American ears that doesn't really matter.

What names do the rest of you think would be appropriate?

* Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math

EDIT: Thanks, Master Tao. I keep forgetting about this forum and "defaulting" to general discussion when i want to talk/think about anything, so I forgot to look.

Edited by pincushionman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.