Multiple installations possible?

Hi,

It seems that everything is stored in the "\Kerbal Space program" directory on Windows, and "KSP_osx" for the Mac (I assume the Linux install is similar).

Does this mean that I can copy the entire directory and be able to have different versions?

I'd like to try out some of the available mods, but read that some of them change the save files and other parts, so I'd like to be able to try them in a sandbox environment, and if I like it, then install it to my working directory.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance

The Windows version will usually be in \KSP_win if you're not using the Steam version, actually.

And yes, you can absolutely make a separate copy in order to do that. :)

Remember that your save files are also kept in that folder, though, so you might want to copy everything but the Saves folder if you plan on messing around with mods.

Yup. You can copy and paste entire KSP's! I've done that; the copy I bought from Steam is my stock unmodded install, and my other copy is modded. I left my stock version in its Steam directory thing and simply copied it into another folder which I put into my computer's Program Files folder.

Yep, I have a stock install I copy to make new ones. If you're tech savvy enough to use symbolic links, you can have a central GameData folder *outside* your installs & just link what mods you want into individual installs - although you sometimes run into problems with mods having their own saved data in their folder.

Multiple installations no problem

All my versions are kept in ./games/Ker

Current version is KSP_Win

when a new version comes out... that folder is renamed to the version eg KSP_24.2, then the new version is installed and the ships/mods copied over.

when I'm bored I'll zip the folder up and copy that to my file server box.

Got to admit though.... booting up KSP_0.13 and flying to the mun by the seat of my pants on a very wobbley rocket seems a lot easier than it did when I was trying it for the first time... :(

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

The only issue I have with using the Addon Controller (which I AM going to install), is that there are a few mods (BTSM for one) which change the save files. This is NOT a knock against Addon Controller, just a simple fact. It would be nice if the Addon Controller (I don't know if it does or not) warns you if one of the mods you are enabling/disabling does change the save files.

On the other hand, what I need to find out is if (as I suspect) BTSM and others only change the save files when saving, if so, then I could just name the save files appropriately.

Addon Controller does have some limitations with regards to Modulemanager.

Right now I've been trying out the KSP MOD Admin V1.4.0 program, which, while it does have some limitations, does seem to do a good job of downloading/installing/uninstalling mods from both the Kerbal site and Curse (although Curse is currently broken due to Curse changing their html)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. 73GB. Well, all vanilla installations would make that ~140 installations. Considering the amount of bloating you can get when you start throwing lots of part-heavy mods in there, though, I'd have to make an estimate closer to 30-40.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.