New Horizons

r4pt0r

Too bad NASA used the false color image for that probable cryovolcano.

302C80B800000578-0-image-a-4_14528086732

I'm really annoyed by their lack of understanding of how the general public works.

This is the most realistic color photo composite we have.

nh-pluto-in-true-color.jpg

I see no reason to release a false color image instead, with a misleading title.

Edited by lajoswinkler

OK, here's the best approximation I could do. I've used the color from the real color image and applied it over the false color one. It's not monochrome, but it colorized the surrounding properly, and attenuated the pure red of the dark patches.

colorized_wright_mons_cropped_corrected_

Edited by lajoswinkler

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

Too bad NASA used the false color image for that probable cryovolcano.

I'm really annoyed by their lack of understanding of how the general public works.

This is the most realistic color photo composite we have.

I see no reason to release a false color image instead, with a misleading title.

I think this has been discussed before, but it might be a combination of:
- Raw or true color images are too bland and doesn't clearly show the information they want to show.
- NASA assumes that people recognizes what false coloring is.

Or they think it will get them more "likes" to show the false color photo's.

On October 27, 2015 at 2:15 AM, Frida Space said:

The orbital parameters of New Horizons? Well, it's on an escape trajectory, so it should escape the heliosphere around the 2030s.

Or did you mean the orbital parameters of 2014 MU69? Well, obviously they will remain unchanged after the flyby. You can find some of its orbital parameters on Wikipedia

How long should New Horizons last into its interstellar mission?

5 hours ago, fredinno said:

How long should New Horizons last into its interstellar mission?

It shouldn't die before 2030, but probably it won't make it past 2035 either. Seeing as it should enter interstellar space "sometime in the 2030s", it might not even make it, or if it will, it won't last long :(

Edited by Frida Space

8 hours ago, Frida Space said:

It shouldn't die before 2030, but probably it won't make it past 2035 either. Seeing as it should enter interstellar space "sometime in the 2030s", it might not even make it, or if it will, it won't last long :(

Well, Voyager 1 has lasted 39 years so far, so by the time it goes through the heliopause, it should be 24 years old. It might last longer than 2035.

4 hours ago, fredinno said:

Well, Voyager 1 has lasted 39 years so far, so by the time it goes through the heliopause, it should be 24 years old. It might last longer than 2035.

Not likely, the RTGs will not be strong enough to provide power in 2030.

8 hours ago, Frida Space said:

I believe he refers to allowing only some of the instruments to be on at a given time or shutting them down sequentially.

Yes, like on Voyager right now. I doubt you need the camera on in interserstellar space.

nh-plutosfloatinghills-context-lables_v3

Scientist believe the isolated hills in Spuntik Planum are actually fragments of water ice that have fallen from the rugged uplands just outside Sputnik Planum. Being less dense than the other ices, these fragments can float and slide on the nitrogen ice floor and can be carried away by the nitrogen glaciers. Once they enter the cellular region, the convective movements within the layer of frozen nitogren start pushing these hills towards the edges of the cells/segments, where they group up into 30 km wide clusters. A particular example is Challenger Colles, a 60x35 cluster of hills halfway between the cellular region of Sputnik Planum and the uplands. Scientists believe these particular hills have reached an area in which the nitrogen ice layer is much thinner, and so they aren't able to slide over it anymore and are stuck where they are. Scientists have also found group of hills lined up ("hill chains") along the paths of the nitrogen glaciers.

Edited by Frida Space

That was fairly obvious from the start. It's a form of debris coalesced on the edges of Rayleigh-Bénard convection cells. I'm kind of surprised it took all this time to publish "given the data, we are pretty convinced that" (usage of "believe" verb is mislead and stupid - media likes to use it a lot) about this.

22 minutes ago, Frida Space said:

How is it misleading? Just wondering, I'm not a native speaker :)

Belief is something used when claiming stuff you have no proof of, especially in common everyday speech. Saying "scientists believe that" is horribly mislead in people's minds and should be avoided. "Scientists think that" or even better, "based on the available data, scientists consider that" is much better.

4 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Belief is something used when claiming stuff you have no proof of, especially in common everyday speech. Saying "scientists believe that" is horribly mislead in people's minds and should be avoided. "Scientists think that" or even better, "based on the available data, scientists consider that" is much better.

Interesting, I had never thought of it that way. I'll try to keep that to mind in the future. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope no one is saying New Horizons wasn't worth it... if it was for me I'd send a probe to Pluto every two decades or so to see how it changes :D

(mostly sound to me kinda like the last cold propelled rocket "gas" station before a large void until next stop) any'way handsome'how definetely worth it @some point.

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

I don't understand why they're publishing this now, I'm not a geologist but I thought it was pretty clear since the start.... probably just want PR attention.

Either way, NASA just published a story on how they think Charon's chasms, valleys, scarps, ridges etc. suggest that the moon once had a liquid ocean which then froze. Because the density of water ice is less than that of liquid water, freezing caused the ocean to expand and stress the surface, leading to the formation of such geological features.

nh-charon_serenitychasma_context_0218201

erosion, tectonic ? also the top bottom slighty inclined split smoothness appearance is kinda caracteristic, something to do with cooling/heating over time, and/or relative absolute location within some specifics "frame of reference" over "time" (time scale, said effect/event absolute chemical solidification speed, centrifugation, notable specific wave lenght exposition, something else etc.) ?

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.