[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

When I installed Interstellar (x86), tried going without -force-opengl as I'd had more crashes in the past using it. Ended up using ATM Aggressive and the 128MB Volumetric Clouds--and a lot of runs to get all the textures compressed. After it finally launched without crashing, the sky was large blotches of red and white, Kerbin has a blotchy glowing sky both on the ground and from space, and Duna had a dark side with a blotchy glow. Removing the Skyboxes mod fixed them. To get rid of the unwanted blotchy glow, had to remove both Core Clouds and Lightning. Launched and looked okay, but memory was ~3500MB. So I went with launching that with -force-opengl to get memory down to under 1600MB.

I too was wondering what the difference is between the 2 Sun options.

3500MB is definitely dangerous territory for hitting 32 bit KSP's RAM limit.

I spent some time today setting up a 64bit KSP install to use for taking pretty screenshots. I installed the 256 volumetric clouds and all the optional graphics packs. I also added about 50 mb worth of some random textures I found a long time ago, Remote Tech 2, and my standard UI and Info mods. Without forcing opengl or using Active Texture Management, KSP seemed to use about 5 and a half GB of RAM on average.

I am very surprised how well KSP ran with those mods. Besides the occasional lag due to physics calculations, I was getting 60 fps pretty much everywhere.

Astronomer, you have done an absolutely amazing job with this mod! KSP has never looked more beautiful! Keep up the good work! I wish 64 bit KSP were more stable. I'd love to see what you would come up with if you didn't have to worry about RAM limitations. Also, why did you reduce the amount of clouds on Kerbin? I think I prefered how Kerbin looked in the previous release. Kerbin doesn't quite look right to me. Kerbin's colors seem washed out. The oceans are too light, and they blend into the ground texture too much. I have no idea what all you can do, but I think Kerbin would look a lot better if the colors were brought out, with a much deeper blue for the ocean, that the white clouds would really contrast against, and deeper more organic colors for the land.

I do love what you have done with Jools clouds! I used to use this texture for Jool, and I got some REALLY cool results when I combined that texture with your clouds!

VastRectangularJuliabutterfly.gif

Edit: I think I tracked down the texture I used to the Jool texture from Sido's Texture Pack for the defunct Universe Replacer mod.

Edited by Rabada

I installed this mod and it CTD's on the loading screen. The mods i have are 000_toolbar, 000_usitools, AJE (Advanced jet engines), b9, bahasp, chatter, collisionfx,crossfeed enabler, deadly reentry, fearram aerospace, firespitter, JSI, kerbal attatchment system, kethane, kinetechanimation, klockheed_martian, kwrocketry, mp_nazari, nasa mission, nereid, open resources system, ors resource pack, R&S capsuledyne, remote tech, resgen, scansat, smokescreen, station science, texture replacer, tree loader, universal storage, virgin kalactic, warp plugin.

I also installed the mod's it said were required to run? enhanced visual effects and planet shine and texture replacer

and I think i managed to install it properly as per given the text files in the zip folder, I was having a long load time associated with active texture management so i removed that because i wanted to quickly test to see if it would crash to the desktop or not.

So basically i'm just asking why do I ctd. Is it mod incompatibilities? Can I remove 1 or 2 incompatible mods and have a beautiful game? I think i'd be willing to make the trade off. Thanks for the help

>_> Ok fine. More hours trying to fix it than. The new update didn't seem to do much. my game loads up about halfway and then crashes with no warning. I do have crash logs though? no idea what to do with them

Edited by LuvSicGrl

>_> Ok fine. More hours trying to fix it than. The new update didn't seem to do much. my game loads up about halfway and then crashes with no warning. I do have crash logs though? no idea what to do with them

Probably out of memory. You are using ATM, aren't you?

So i installed stock ksp and proceeded to install this mod. It loads all the stuff ( the loading screen with the yellow bar at the startup?) But right after that it freezes, before it makes it to the title screen and generates a crash log. I have tried this with and without planetshine installed. Also i can run EVE fine without this (interstellar visual pack) mod installed. Can anybody think of what might cause the game to crash before the title screen, but after the loading part?

- - - Updated - - -

and now im going to try it with atm because i feel like an idiot. atm was making it take ages so i uninstalled it :P

So i installed stock ksp and proceeded to install this mod. It loads all the stuff ( the loading screen with the yellow bar at the startup?) But right after that it freezes, before it makes it to the title screen and generates a crash log. I have tried this with and without planetshine installed. Also i can run EVE fine without this (interstellar visual pack) mod installed. Can anybody think of what might cause the game to crash before the title screen, but after the loading part?

- - - Updated - - -

and now im going to try it with atm because i feel like an idiot. atm was making it take ages so i uninstalled it :P

My money is still on running out of RAM. The answer is likely near the end of the crash log. If you can't decipher it yourself, then post it here (via dropbox, or pastebin though you may have truncate it) and someone else might be able to figure it out.

ATM can take a while to compress everything, but it should be faster on later runs (assuming that you exit the game normally) since it caches the compressed textures.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the crash log say this near the top?

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation

If so you ran out of RAM and you should try the lower res textures Astronomer just uploaded

When I installed Interstellar (x86), tried going without -force-opengl as I'd had more crashes in the past using it. Ended up using ATM Aggressive and the 128MB Volumetric Clouds--and a lot of runs to get all the textures compressed. After it finally launched without crashing, the sky was large blotches of red and white, Kerbin has a blotchy glowing sky both on the ground and from space, and Duna had a dark side with a blotchy glow. Removing the Skyboxes mod fixed them. To get rid of the unwanted blotchy glow, had to remove both Core Clouds and Lightning. Launched and looked okay, but memory was ~3500MB. So I went with launching that with -force-opengl to get memory down to under 1600MB.

Well, my game crashed out. Saw Astronomer final got Curse to accept his upload, so I downloaded Interstellar v2. Removed ATM Aggressive as it wasn't helping and appeared to be causing image artifacts. Installed v2 with 128MB Volumetric Clouds and other recommended choices. Ran that with "-force-opengl" and memory was under 1600MB. Previous image artifacts mentioned in my quote weren't present. Exited and decided to add Lightning and New Sun.

Step 2 of New Sun is incomplete. From checking the config and other files, it appears whichever "detaileve2.jpg" you pick goes in "GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/".

And started okay! Thanks for crafting such an amazing visual improvement, Astronomer! :)

EDIT: Didn't like the frantic nature of the lightning (is that realistic?), so decided to remove it. First tried using the Alt-N menu (which overlaps with the ingame Notepad mod), was very confusing, and when trying to "Reset to Default" many of the options, managed to turn off Lightning, Clouds, and Aurora. Exited out to reset config, remove Lightning, and try other Volumetric Clouds.

Clouds are less thick over Kerbin compared to the May release which I'd been running up to now (with 1500 Clouds :)). And as others have noted, no City Lights (but I did have them in the original Interstellar).

EDIT2: And City Lights are back (yellow-green and orange-red). Don't know how.

Edited by Jacke

As for the city lights, no one has thus far reported any issues with them once a vessel is loaded. The way city lights are handled by EVE, they won't load until you load a vessel. Same for planetshine - it won't take effect until you load a vessel.

Please don't report issues until you have loaded a rocket or spaceplane and then gone into the map view.