[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

Just installed and seem to have a somewhat similar problem that others have reported recently.

http://i.imgur.com/Z38joLj.jpg

Seems i have random red clouds scattered around. Their on every planet with clouds. Can you still manually open the cloud editing window in EVE these days?

@Subcidal, it appears to be coming from a duplicate form of cloudLayers.cfg, or a problem within the install. The best way to handle it as I have found in this release (I had similar problems) is to do a fresh install/gamedata and manually reinstall everything whilst loading the game in between the installation of each step/extra. I also used basic activetexturemanagement http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-90-Release-4-3-Dec-16-2014-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM! Later you can re-install all of your mods like DRE, FF, KAC & RT.

Now this goes out to all of my forum friends! Please read this! --> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29 <--

May you have plenty of ∆v on your voyages!

Hi Everybody,

I wanted to install this wonderfull mod, but I was facing issue with crashing and weird white / pink textures. It took me one hour of research, so I thought I will share it to save your time.

It was caused by combination of Astronomer pack and Active Texture Management. Wrong textures are result of ATM running out of memory during first texture compression. Fix is (note that paths are for standard steam install, you might need to adjust)

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement\textureCache and delete BoulderCo folder

2. Run KSP in x64 mode by running C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe. This will allow ATM to compress all needed textures

3. Exit x64 KSP and run normal KSP

4. ....

5. Profit!

Hi Everybody,

I wanted to install this wonderfull mod, but I was facing issue with crashing and weird white / pink textures. It took me one hour of research, so I thought I will share it to save your time.

It was caused by combination of Astronomer pack and Active Texture Management. Wrong textures are result of ATM running out of memory during first texture compression. Fix is (note that paths are for standard steam install, you might need to adjust)

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement\textureCache and delete BoulderCo folder

2. Run KSP in x64 mode by running C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe. This will allow ATM to compress all needed textures

3. Exit x64 KSP and run normal KSP

4. ....

5. Profit!

If the mod used DDSLoader this wouldn't be an issue. That's why I brought it up. Would be a hassle for Astronomer though.

Would it matter how much RAM i had? I have 8gb, but the max we can use at the moment is under 4gb regardless of what your pc has. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Run in OpenGL. Add command options " -force-opengl -popupwindow " to your shortcut to launch KSP.

has anyone successfully got this whole pack to run in KSP .90 x64 (starting at stock)?

I can get steps 1-3 and the game works. but if I install any of the step 4 textures (except the Auroras & Lightning) the game wont load.

Atmospheric scattering, Lense Flare, Sandstorms & dust, Snow, Surface Glow, and Eve/Jool Clouds all seem to not work in .90 x64.

When I load any of these, the game crashes while the immediately after the loading bar prior to the main menu.

has anyone successfully got this whole pack to run in KSP .90 x64 (starting at stock)?

I can get steps 1-3 and the game works. but if I install any of the step 4 textures (except the Auroras & Lightning) the game wont load.

Atmospheric scattering, Lense Flare, Sandstorms & dust, Snow, Surface Glow, and Eve/Jool Clouds all seem to not work in .90 x64.

When I load any of these, the game crashes while the immediately after the loading bar prior to the main menu.

Probably remove the Eve/Jool clouds. They take up a fair bit of memory. If you use a Mac install 'Memory Cleaner' from the app store and refresh your RAM before loading. On Windows, if your computer is generally slow, you can always de-frag it. Do not forget that x64 is a mess with Unity. x32 appears to work for most.

How many mods do you have, Smash? Do you use Active Texture Management?

Try using -force-opengl. If you're running steam then just open Properties and find Set Launch Options on the first tab.

I use quite a few, i have given up on visual mods for now until the game/unity is better optimized and the RAM limitations are not so low.

Gosh - sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any way I can download the old 'astronomer's visual pack V3'? I had that version running perfectly and it still looks fantastic. I can't get the new interstellar version to work.

Gosh - sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any way I can download the old 'astronomer's visual pack V3'? I had that version running perfectly and it still looks fantastic. I can't get the new interstellar version to work.

It's available here, all files under Astronomer's Curse site.

I'm loving this. Aerobraking into Jool was jaw-dropping.

My only issue is an odd dust(?) effect around moho - there is a rapidly moving cloud of dust that extends a few planet diameters off the surface? Did I screw something up somehow? Can I turn just that effect off?

Probably remove the Eve/Jool clouds. They take up a fair bit of memory. If you use a Mac install 'Memory Cleaner' from the app store and refresh your RAM before loading. On Windows, if your computer is generally slow, you can always de-frag it. Do not forget that x64 is a mess with Unity. x32 appears to work for most.

You mean the lightning? Yes they work, but they are not the reason why the other effects didn't work.

I tested them independently 1 at a time to see which ones worked and which ones didn't work.

My computer is definitely not slow or memory limited. I'm running an intel I7-3770K with 32GB Ram and a GTX 780,Ti I can and have run the 8K textures before without problem using the X64 client.

There is definitely a bug/incompatibility in most of the step 4 optional mods.

You mean the lightning? Yes they work, but they are not the reason why the other effects didn't work.

I tested them independently 1 at a time to see which ones worked and which ones didn't work.

My computer is definitely not slow or memory limited. I'm running an intel I7-3770K with 32GB Ram and a GTX 780,Ti I can and have run the 8K textures before without problem using the X64 client.

There is definitely a bug/incompatibility in most of the step 4 optional mods.

The game does not care that you have 32Gb, to it you only have 4Gb, unless you are using the x64 bit mess.

I tried to get this mod to work in 0.90 and I installed each step one by one and ran the game. When I got to installing the core mod, I still had the sky cities. I just gave up and downgraded to 0.25. I hoard a lot of versions beginning from 0.22 and a broken 0.21, but they are not for sale.